Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 tundra double cab with the JBL stereo and 8 speakers. By the way, the stereo is made by Panasonic. Anyway, the 2004 tundra did not come with a subwoofer. I see on posts for 2007 tundras, there is a subwoofer installed. Where did toyota put the subwoofer? I am installing an aftermaket low profile subwoofer and the cab is tight for placement. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
415 Posts
doo,
There is no where to put a sub in a 1st Gen that is any larger then an 8" that will be out of site and not loose any of your seat space. There are two option for 8" subs that is either the JL Audio Stealthbox w/ an 8" but you will loose your entire center console. Many also made boxes out of the storage compartment under the rear seat but it will not carry enough air space for anything large then an 8".

When I had mine I just bit the bullet and put an overseat box on the backseat with a Kicker L7 12". So my truck was a 4 seater rather then a 5.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I have one similar to that. I will be cutting my floor to make room for larger ones in the near future. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 double cab, and space is limited for a subwoofer. I decided to go with the JL Audio Stealthbox, and am very happy with the result. I had the installer Dynamat the doors and floor too. The alpine PDX 5 channel amp fits in the stock amp location as well. All this saved space and the result is good. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
the lack of interior storage space that could be converted into a sub woofer is the only thing i dislike really about my truck. i took my rear center console out and mounted and fi ssd 10 and it looks kinda odd but its my only choice. i kno i have an 01 a/c but heres a pick for ideas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I have a 2006 DC Tundra and I installed 2 10" low profile Rockford subs under the rear seats. Had to fab a custom box and cut out a good rectangle of material....but it is completely stealth and didnt take up ANY of my rear seating space. sounds great too. was able to mount the 4 channel amp for the doors, 2 channel amp for the subs, 1 farad cap, and a full audio control EQ behind the rear seats as well. Again, ALL of this is totally stealth and cannot be seen.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have a jl audio 10 stealbox in my storage comp. & a jl audio 10w6-2 right behind the center console, & when i feel the need. i put on my rear seat which no one really ever sit's back there a jl audio 10w7-3. amp's go behind the rear seats in the slots, & 1 under each front seat. all jl audio. 500-5 channel, 500-1 channel, $ 2 of the 300-2's.
yes our space is not suited for large sub's, but if you willing it can be done. my cap is in the storage under the rear seat, along with my another new toy, just installed saturday.

i got the box off of ebay that will fit the 10W6-2 & you can hook up a 500watt amp.
the stealth box is only a 250watt. for me it just didnt cut it.

dont waste your money on the toyota 8" set up, they have. 100watts.

i wish someone came up with a rear seat 60/40 or whatever that could incorparate
2 12's's built in somehow.

i did see someone here that had a 8w7-3 custom built in the rear of the center console, what i nice clean look. that 8 would be just fine, for most.

you might just want to consider 2 12's or 2 15's in a box, & put it on your rear seat.
if most of the time you dont have people back there.

there are so many with great idea's, for the very limited space we have.
this forum, can & will help search for the pictures. i wish i knew how to post links for you.
so you can get a much better idea of what possibilitys there are.
like using the styorage area's to make 1 big area. 1 area as you know is the jack set up.
but 8"s only

i wouldn't think of cutting the rear wall, nor putting the sub's in the bed. i know a guy that had that set up, only to wake up 1 day, to find out the bed cap didnt keep the water out, & his amps & sub's were under water. noticed it to late.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I didnt cut any hole into the bed of my truck. I agree that would be a horrible Idea. Like I was saying, I calculated and discovered that it was possible to cut out a rectangular section of material under the two rear seats in my 2006 DC that would not only provide enough room to accomodate two 10" dia subs, but would also be deep enough to provide the minimum volume requirements for my given type of subs...2 10 inch rockford P3 shallow series dual 4ohm VC's. I had to remove the plastic coverings under the rear seats to gain enough clearance for the subwoofers trim rings, but you would want to remove these anyways as they only hurt the sound, would vibrated and buzz, and its impossible to tell that they are missing when the seats are folded back in their regular position. This mod also didnt effect any of the primary structure of the truck or seat mounts. I wish I had a better picture of the subs themselves here on my work machine but I dont. Anyways its a TOTAL stealth install. Once seats are down you cant find ANY of the stereo components. The crossovers, audiocontrol DXQS EQ, Capacitor, Two channel amp, 4 Channel amp, Any of the 6 patch cables or customer speaker wire to each door, the inifinity components in the doors etc. The only thing that appears out of stock is the Alpine Head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I went the easy route and dropped in a prefabbed sealed box w/ 2-Kicker 8" subs:

It has plenty of thump inside the cabin for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I apologize in advance for reviving old threads, but I want some info on cutting into the storage compartments under the seats. What's underneath this metal? What tool did you use? How much can you cut out?

I am coming from a 2007 Acura RL with a custom setup for 2x12" I built from scratch and installed myself. I am handy enough to do the work, but I don't want to cut into metal without having a proper plan in place.

FWIW, I have a 2005 DC Limited I picked up Tuesday with 140k for $11.9k OTD. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Whats underneath.....3 Things - Drive shaft, Exhaust pipe, fuel tank. The limiting factor, with respect to uniform depth, is the fuel tank. If you want to fabricate a pan that is uniform in depth then you can only go down till you hover ~.125" (1/8) over the tank. I actually glued an extremely thin rubber 6"X6" piece to the upper surface of the tank as a margin of safety in case my fabbed pan ended up sagging (or gets pushed down due to sealed air pressure from subs) and makes contact with the plastic fuel tank. I just wanted to make sure my fabed pan didnt rub and wear on the tank itself. I was able to use a drimmel with a metal cutting wheel to do some of the high risk areas (over fuel tank). I went through quite a few drimmel wheels, but it was preferable over the pneumatic cutting wheel used everywhere else (buddy does body work in garage and has some nice auto body tools). You could probably use a jig saw with an appropriate blade everywhere else. CIMG7109.jpg CIMG7111.jpg CIMG7113.jpg CIMG7148.jpg CIMG7169.jpg

NOTICE the "lip" or flange of material I left along the front edge of the cutout....this was used to rivet my fabricated pan to the vehicle. This was the only material needed to remain in order to properly fasten the pan in the cutout. All other rivets were located along the top edges of the pan.

How much can you cut out.....well, not much, but I was able to get the minimum required volume for both of my 10" shallow series Rockford subs. I know they arent the best and if its SPL your going for then you can forget about showing off how stupid loud you can go.....BUT all that said I get GREAT overall sound quality from these dual 10" and I am very proud of the final product. My goal was to incorporate 2 amps, 2 subs, a 1 farad cap, a sound control 144 channel EQ, ALL power and speaker wiring, 6 channels of RCA for all doors and two subs, component speakers front and back, the component speaker crossovers, a 500 watt power invert er (under console with standard household style dual electric outlet inside back face of console storage, XM receiver box (retired due to horrible SQ on sat radio), hidden Ipod interface in glove box, and remote EQ controller...ALL WITHOUT EVER SEEING OR KNOWING that it was ever there. I would only allow myself to let the aftermarket Alpine deck be the only thing that looked modified from stock. I was able to hide ALL of that stuff...along with $600ish in dynamat extreme series mat, behind, under, above, below all existing panels.

Someone made a post once that said dual subs under seat was impossible...and I think they said amplifiers couldn't be located behind rear seats due to lack of space and had to be under front seats.

I took that as a challenge and although it was a HUGE HUGE undertaking, I never let up on my goal of leaving the truck with a stock looking interior.

I have a $hitload of pics and vids of the install (and all its hurdles) if anyone if interested.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please post the pictures you're speaking of! Right now I am battling where to place the amps. I have already modded the rear wall panel.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
If you have already modded the back wall then you have only 2 options. I have completely gutted my Tundra interior and can confidently say there is very little space.

Option 1: cut a portion of the floor underneath the rear seat. You wouldnt have to go crazy like I did for just an amp or two (unless your amps are massive)
Option 2 (much more practical) Place Amps underneath front seat(s). If you removed the plastic duct work that is there for the floor heater vents you will gain about another inch or so of height.
Send me a pic of your back wall and a pic of the amps your wanting to install. If you do that I will go through the effort of finding all my pics and will help you with some ideas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OKBen - you tackled a big challenge and it looks fu*kin awesome. I am lining out the materials to do the same mod, I'll probably fab a box and weld it up. Hoping to put 2 kicker 10"s in it, was curious how much bigger you had to go to accommodate them? You willing to share your $hitload of pics and vids?

I can post pic of my truck and the Kickers, but it's just an 05 DC sitting on Dubs with Nittos. I did bedliner the rear bumper and paint it with the Yota Phantom Gray and dipped the front bumper, but it ain't got $hit on that audio install. Hope to hear something from North of the Red River man..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts