Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all:

Has anyone added a sub to their 4 door p/u?

I am considering the Kenwood KSC-SW1 for under the passenger seat, since there is absolutely no room behind the rear seat for even a 6" Bazooka Tube.

Current setup:
2004 Taco DC 4x4 TRD
Panasonic MXE-CQ C8413U Head Unit
On order:
Infinity Kappa 682.7 for Rear Doors
Infinity Reference 6822 for Front Doors
Alpine MRP-F250 amp for under Driver's Seat.

Thanks, Carol

·
Registered
152 Posts
You've got alot to take into consideration here. That Pioneer unit is great, and the price is excellent, but it's only a subwoofer speaker. That Kenwood unit is an all-in-one. With that pioneer you have to worry about a seperate amp, box, and all the wiring. If you're willing to invest the time and money, take that route. But if you want a quicker, cost-effective solution, that Kenwood seems nice. There are more and more units like that. Ever visit Crutchfield: Car Audio, LCD TV, Plasma TV, Speakers, Home Theater They have what you need, including many different powered subs. I am looking around at different options to install in my Corolla, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with an all-in-one like that Kenwood. Look around, you have lots of choices.

Kenwood KSC-SW1 Powered enclosed subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Follow that link, it'll take you to the opinions of people who own the Kenwood unit. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You make a good point, I did look around at those before I bought my sub. I didn't however see the Kenwood, if I had I probably would have bought that. Taco's are not really known for the extra room and our choices are limited.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's my setup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is my setup

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hey sizzler, how bout some details on your set up? That looks pretty nice, I see you don't have the backs on the rear seats, was it that close? What's the cutout in between the boxes, amps? Custom boxes i'm assuming, what size subs, amps, speakers in the doors, etc...not to be nosey but details man, details!:D:tu:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey sizzler, how bout some details on your set up? That looks pretty nice, I see you don't have the backs on the rear seats, was it that close? What's the cutout in between the boxes, amps? Custom boxes i'm assuming, what size subs, amps, speakers in the doors, etc...not to be nosey but details man, details!:D:tu:
The front and rears are Kappa's (front being components) all 4 doors are powered by an Infinity 6540a (111w rms x4 @4ohm) under my seat.
The Kicker TCVT10's are powered by a Kenwood 8152D 550wrms x1 @2 ohm under the pass seat.
RCA's all the way around and using the stock wires to each door.
4 gage cable to a distribution block, from there 4 gage to each amp, using a 100 amp fuse in the engine compartment and each amp is 70amp fused using a 4 gage SHORT ground wire.
The seat backs are staying off and the back seat has been moved forward approx. 1.5 inches.
You can use this link to further your knowledge.
"04 Doublecab Tacoma Subwoofer - TTORA Forum
I almost forgot the radio:
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X591
CD/MP3/AAC(unprotected aac's)
Still have Free shipping
When I got mine they Crutchfield) offered an IPOD adapter.
If I unplug the ipod, I can plug in my flash drive (4gig), It will even take a usb harddrive!!!
Delivered to my house for $200.00 (can't beat that)
Any other questions, I'll be checking back occasionally.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In previous years I would have laughed at the idea of having 2 8s.....Then came the 01 DC and I was left scratching my head.

Sealed box for two 8s.....remove the back of the seats and this thing fits perfect. The challenge was finding subs that fit. The box is actually shaven down where the sub magnet will fit to improve the clearance.

I was hoping two JL 8W1s would fit but no such luck. Found Rockford Fosgates fit very nicely and with some 'fill added to the box, it hits decently hard with a Lanzar OptiDrive 150 bridged 2 ohm mono. Will post pic next week if interested.

Enough rambling....Here's the link to the box.....SUBWOOFER BOXES - TOYOTA - TACOMA DOUBLE CAB at Sound Off Audio

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Polk Momo 8' subs work well in small spaces like the Sound Off AudioSound box. Really well actually. The fosgatesit but realy those are second rate subs llike the Premier shallow mount. The diamonds fit but they are less than optimal in closed enclosures.

Also, I am going to rear fire the 8'. Picking the correct sub and the correct amp is the key to small spaces. Super clean amp and speakers designed for small sealed enclosures is key. Lots of choics thaat fit some sound good some aound like ***.

The Zappco Reference amps and Polk Momo 8's with the sealed .35 cubic foot space should yield the best results. At least on paper. We'll see.... An AudioControl EQ will likely be mandatory.

·
Registered
50 Posts

hope this helps. i can take more if someone needs further clarification. this truck certainly isn't the easiest to work with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts