Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some people loathe daytime running lights, but I am wondering- how possible is it to "easily" install DRL's in a non-equipped model? I personally like the safety feature, but it is a lacking option on my 2000 Tundra, as are ABS brakes. Strange, considering my truck is an otherwise very highly optioned truck, stickering for $32,000 in 2000.:eek:

I think that ABS/DRL's/leather are the only lacking options (other than the "LIMITED" trim.

So, would it cost more than its worth to install DRLS on this truck? I was hoping it would be something as simple as adding a "relay" or something since some models were already equipped, but I am sure its more than that (as always). For now, I just run with my headlights on most of the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lots of info here :tu: on DRLs when you search the forums and Knowledge Base. A few hours before yours, teach45 started a thread with essentially the same request. The two of you might want to team up and compare notes. :) :cry: :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Hey Shaffer,

Good to see your truck's working out. Like he says, search the forums, we figured out some stuff seven years ago that will help :D.

The short answer...pop the hood. Now look on either side of the engine bay--near the intake box and ABS unit (if so equipped) on the left, and near the fuse box on the right.

Look for a large, grey plug...if it's there, it'll be UNplugged. Plug it in.

IIRC some models, maybe all, had the wiring in place...just never hooked up. The bigger question back in the day was how to unplug them, for the guys who needed them off. I don't remember exactly, it was a long time ago now.

Search around if this didn't make sense or if your truck doesn't have the wiring.

-Sean

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Yeah, I love the truck and will love even more when I get the timing belt done and complete rear brake overhaul. I have the dreadful "shudder" when applying the brakes at times.

Anyway, yep like you said, more people wanting to disable DRLS than people wanting to enable them. I did a search (as recommended) and thats about all I could find. :) Ironic- I want DRLS and do not have them and everyone with them does not want them. :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway- thanks for that info.. I will check that box and report back on Thursday. Knowing my luck, its not that simple... never is with me. :D Also, I lack the ABS option as well- another option I wish I had. Oh well. :D

Thanks again! !

Hey Shaffer,

Good to see your truck's working out. Like he says, search the forums, we figured out some stuff seven years ago that will help :D.

The short answer...pop the hood. Now look on either side of the engine bay--near the intake box and ABS unit (if so equipped) on the left, and near the fuse box on the right.

IIRC some models, maybe all, had the wiring in place...just never hooked up. The bigger question back in the day was how to unplug them, for the guys who needed them off. I don't remember exactly, it was a long time ago now.

Search around if this didn't make sense or if your truck doesn't have the wiring.

-Sean

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
You can do the fog light mod and have the fog lights triggered by the parking lights (instead of lowbeams).

Thats what I did. Now I just leave the parking lights on (now with fog lights) and they are my DRL's. One of the great features of the tundra - turn off the truck and get out and the lights turn off. Works just like DRLs!

Good luck.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE - thanks Sean... I checked and did not see that plug... perhaps if I did more research to see exactly where its located... maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I looked all over though... I bet its not there.

Thanks Batman for that trick... for now, I simply leave my headlights "on", but turn off when I exit for the day, as I only drive my truck twice a week.

Hey Shaffer,

-Sean

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm importing my 2000 Tundra Access Cab SR5 to Canada and looking for the same Daytime Running Lights (DRL) fix. I called Toyota and spent awhile on hold while they researched the issue. In fact I called twice to make sure I'd get the same information. First they said that because it didn't come like that from the factory with the option, it was not possible to add it, and that they did not have kits to do this. I asked if they had the parts and they said no, which I didn't believe. On the second call they told me that if it did not come from the factory, Toyota will not give advice about or install this option as a matter of liability (for what, I do not know..).

I don't get how this is so difficult to do, considering that
  1. 2000 and newer Tundras were sold in Canada with DRLs AND
  2. Those (and all) Tundras are manufactured in Indiana, so the parts must be available for order in the US.
  3. It would not make manufacturing sense to make DRLs a complicated system requiring a separate build process.
  4. Tacomas and 4Runners apear to have a simple flasher change as mentioned here.
Also, I found a gray connector next to the battery on the drivers side of my Tundra. It was CONNECTED, and yet I don't have ABS or DRLs. I couldn't get my hands in there to disconnect it.

IMG_1818.jpg

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have that on my 2000 Tundra as well. I never did see the plug Sean mentioned.

Also, I found a gray connector next to the battery on the drivers side of my Tundra. It was CONNECTED, and yet I don't have ABS or DRLs. I couldn't get my hands in there to disconnect it.

View attachment 8787

·
Registered
72 Posts
I looked in to putting dlr's on my f-150. It would have cost about $200 for the kit. It involved installing a module under the dash, a photo sensor on the dash, and resistors on each headlight. All the wiring and mounting brackets were already there from the factory. I imagine Toyotas aren't much different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts