Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to make a note to everyone one that is asking about trimming the steering pad to accomodate steering wheel controls. The main obsticle is getting a good temple to transfer to the pad so you make a good cut. After literally hour of thinking about this for hours and trying different things, I feel I found the easiest way. Go to a Arts and Crafts store and buy clear shrink wrap. Take the shrink wrap and cut a piece large enough to wrap around the control pad twice (obviously the controls are not installed when you do this). Take a hair dryer or heat gun and heat the shrink wrap while pressing the wrap into the contours of the switch. It doesn't take much heat to shrink, but it too much can cause the wrap to break. If does, simply lay another layer over it. You must make sure that you get a good transfer from all of the out the outer edges of the switch. At this point you can always start over, once a cut is made, there us no going back. The next step is to take an exacto knife and cut out your template following the leading face edge. After you have removed you template be careful not to crunch it. Take your air bag cover and match up the outer edges to your template. Once you feel confident that it is straight, use a taggers pen (1/8" tip) and trace the template onto the air bag cover. The 1/8" tip will give you your professional looking gap around the controls. Now for another tip!!! Do not use anything but a exacto knife to cut the airbag cover. If you slip with a power tool, YOUR SCREWED!!!:eek: Take a heat gun or put the tip of you exacto knife over an open flame, not too hot. The heated tip will move through the cover material like butter and give you a nice clean cut. Take your time and get an assistant if you can to hold a light.:hand: There reinforcements on the back of the cover that you will be cutting through, so be expecting them. Wait until your finished before cutting all of the way through them. Once your cut is complete go back and cut through the reinforcements and remove the scrap. That's it, check out the finished product! :tu:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just finished wiring up the steering wheel controls to the factory head unit and everything works fine. I bought the panasonic stereo on ebay, it was from a 2010 and can run the steering wheel controls with out the JBL package. Next step is getting the Bluetooth to work... Any suggestions? The strereo pops up bt player not found. I know I will need the mic, but I don't know if there is more wire splicing needed.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
819 Posts
I just finished wiring up the steering wheel controls to the factory head unit and everything works fine. I bought the panasonic stereo on ebay, it was from a 2010 and can run the steering wheel controls with out the JBL package. Next step is getting the Bluetooth to work... Any suggestions? The strereo pops up bt player not found. I know I will need the mic, but I don't know if there is more wire splicing needed.

Some aftermarket radios require you to purchase an additional module. Do you think this is the case with this Panasonic Stereo?

Basically it has the functionality of BT but only with the module installed.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I don't think I was clear, I have the oem radio, but it is the panasonic version with bt and xm built in. I need a schematic of all of the wires on the k3 connectors and their functions. I think I need to jump a couple more wires from the j connector over to the k.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Im confused.... what exactly did you do? Did you add climate control to the wheel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts