Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to add the OEM JBL subwoofer to a 2007 Tundra double cab SR5? I've recently added the OEM JBL Navigation system to my truck, so I'd also like to add the subwoofer as well. Is the SR5 grade tundra prewired for the JBL subwoofer already, or not? If it is prewired, I should be able to find a quick-connect plug somewhere in the driver-side rear portion of the truck, either under the carpeting somewhere or behind a kick panel. I've done a lot of searching on this forum and I haven't found anything yet. I know some of you are going to respond back and say don't waste my time with the JBL subwoofer because it's junk. I personnally don't care what other people think. My goal is to have a completely new OEM system. I don't care for installing aftermarket junk in my truck because I consider most aftermarket stuff to be cheesy, even if it may perform better. I'm an OEM guy, always have been. Any direction that you can give me would be greately appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am not sure, so please don't quote me on this, but I think you need to have the JBL amp as well. I have seen whole sets of the JBL system for sale before and I think the amp is required for it all to work.

Bill

·
Registered
987 Posts
You do need the JBL amp to power the subwoofer. If you didn't already buy it, and don't plan on adding the JBL speakers, I would go aftermarket. The JBL sounds pretty good, but it doesn't compare to a decent aftermarket system that will cost you less. If I didn't already have it, I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I did my non-JBL to JBL conversion (speakers, amp, HU), I was really hoping that everything was pre-wired. Especially, after I found the subwoofer plug behind the black flap of the rear seat. Never was able to figure out where that plug ended...I got lost when it was grouped with a sheet load of other wires headed towards the front. Nor did I ever find the HU plug...a lot of unused harnesses behind the HU, but I couldn't find the JBL one.

As far as I know, the JBL subwoofer is just like any other subwoofer and you don't need the JBL amp to power it.

I ended up making my own wiring harnesses and ran it throughout the truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I already have the JBL amp and it's already installed, so I'm good to go there. I'm not going aftermarket. Aftermarket sucks...period....way too cheesy. I want a complete and total OEM factory system. I just need to find the quick-connect plug for the JBL sub. I will look under the back flap of the rear seat as Sixfour mentioned above. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Did you have the plugs for the amp under the pass. front seat? If so maybe everything will fall into place for you. I like OEM also, but I keep a truck forever.Mine sounds good with my ipod through the aux input ,but not so well on reg radio???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not so much about performance as it is the look. Some people, like myself, like the OEM look, and sometimes the performance as well. I particularly think that the JBL Navigation head unit and amp put out some kick butt sound. I did upgrade the speakers significantly, but those are hidden behind the door panels. I don't like the look of aftermarket sub box enclosures that people stuff under the rear bench seats in these trucks. In my opinion, it looks like crap. Those things are made out of MDF and are covered in carpet with clue and staples. If that is not cheesy, I don't know what is. There's no way I'm going to put MDF and carpet in my truck. Furthermore, I think people who do that degrade the value of their vehicle. I purchased my entire JBL system brand new from a dealer in Canada (everything - amp, headunit, wire harnesses, DVD ROM Map CD, etc.) for less than the cost of a well equiped Alpine head unit alone. Now I just need the sub. I'm going to PM Krewitup13 and see if he can hook me up.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
WOW!!! It's your truck and money, but any decent aftermarket system will destroy the "cheesy" JBL's in these trucks.
I kind of agree that aftermarket subs are better but at the same time without spending a grip of money for a really custom box that looks good the carpet box is the next route and looks stupid, even that $699 JL stealthbox is stupid for an 8inch w7 sub and box...why wouldnt they use 10inch...Effin weak you know bro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news...I found the quick connect plug for the subwoofer. It turns out the SR5 grade model is prewired for the sub afterall. The plug is located on the back wall of the cab, near the floor and directly behind the driver's side rear seat, stuffed behind the thick black piece of rubber that is against the back wall of the cab. The plug is white and it has two wires going to it, one blue and one white. Can someone (who currently has the stock JBL woofer) tell me how the woofer is secured to the floor of the cab? Bolts or screws? I stuck my hand under the carpeting hoping to find some integrated boss mounts on the floor for bolts or screws, but no luck. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I wish I could help you, I have the Crewmax, so the sub is integrated into the back wall. My question to you is, which aftermarket speakers did you use with the JBL head unit/amp?

·
Registered
28 Posts
3 screws secure the sub to the floor , the holes are there already , may have to to remove door sill and seat to lift the carpet enough to get a clear position of the holes before cutting into the carpet .Use sub as guide .
I added the same set up to mine and I'm happy with the improvement in the sound .May not compete with aftermarket sound levels but it's a great improvement from the non jbl sound and everything fits and looks in place .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to upgrade mine to the JBL oem equipment as well. Any good info on where to pick up the stuff to make the switch. I just picked up an 08 DC SR5 and the stock system is just not going to cut it. I had Titan LE with te rockford system and I was happy. I need to do something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome to TS.

You'll need the attached wiring diagrams to help you get through the conversion. Also, don't pay dealer rates...you can pick up the JBL HU for around $100 and the other components for around the same price. Check the classifieds here and craigslist often, there are a lot of people overhauling their JBL stock systems.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'm not going aftermarket. Aftermarket sucks...period....way too cheesy.

It's not so much about performance as it is the look. Some people, like myself, like the OEM look, and sometimes the performance as well. I particularly think that the JBL Navigation head unit and amp put out some kick butt sound. I did upgrade the speakers significantly, but those are hidden behind the door panels. I don't like the look of aftermarket sub box enclosures that people stuff under the rear bench seats in these trucks. In my opinion, it looks like crap. Those things are made out of MDF and are covered in carpet with clue and staples. If that is not cheesy, I don't know what is. There's no way I'm going to put MDF and carpet in my truck. Furthermore, I think people who do that degrade the value of their vehicle. I purchased my entire JBL system brand new from a dealer in Canada (everything - amp, headunit, wire harnesses, DVD ROM Map CD, etc.) for less than the cost of a well equiped Alpine head unit alone. Now I just need the sub. I'm going to PM Krewitup13 and see if he can hook me up.
Aftermarket sucks? Its way to cheesy? Wow buddy i guess you sure know what your talking about. You like the look better than the performance? Isn't the whole point of upgrading for the performance? I guess im with you, i wouldn't put any eye sores in my Tundra grade either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
So you can't just put the JBL head unit into a SR5 without the seperate amp under the seat? I just wanted to use the JBL head unit and the plane jane speakers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts