Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a gorgeous 07 Limited with the E7006 navigation head unit in it. Has rear DVD also.

I'd like to get Bluetooth, and Satellite radio in it for sure...........and possibly a rear backup camera.

Is there an easy kit for this head unit, or should I just buy an aftermarket head unit and sell this one on Ebay? Looks like they still command $500-600 used.......

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
111 Posts
Couple things right away:

Your e7006 unit is backup camera ready and compatible. You used to be able to buy a camera that plugged right in and worked immediately but those are no longer available so instead you need to buy an adapter to connect any third party camera to your head unit.

I believe this is the one:
Eclipse UC100 Universal Rear View Camera Plug for AVN Receivers DVD TV Screen | eBay

Another thing: if you remove your factory head unit, kiss goodbye to the rear entertainment. The HU is an integral part to the RSE and removing it will kill it. The only work around seems to be keeping the stock HU plugged in and hidden somewhere, not easy considering it's size.

My recommendation is to check out Grom Audio. I added their Bluetooth/usb/aux unit to my non navigation Jbl and I love it. I just use the Bluetooth for music and hands free, if you want sat radio you could plug it into the aux.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Couple things right away:

Your e7006 unit is backup camera ready and compatible. You used to be able to buy a camera that plugged right in and worked immediately but those are no longer available so instead you need to buy an adapter to connect any third party camera to your head unit.

I believe this is the one:
Eclipse UC100 Universal Rear View Camera Plug for AVN Receivers DVD TV Screen | eBay

Another thing: if you remove your factory head unit, kiss goodbye to the rear entertainment. The HU is an integral part to the RSE and removing it will kill it. The only work around seems to be keeping the stock HU plugged in and hidden somewhere, not easy considering it's size.

My recommendation is to check out Grom Audio. I added their Bluetooth/usb/aux unit to my non navigation Jbl and I love it. I just use the Bluetooth for music and hands free, if you want sat radio you could plug it into the aux.
That's great info! I've thought about doing the backup camera as well with the stock Nav unit in my 07. So you are saying that once we get the adaptor, a third party rearview camera will work well? That's awesome.

I've got the backup sensors on it as well. Honestly, I hate them. Rear view camera would be mucho better.

Thriller

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
111 Posts
From all the reading I've done on here, my understanding is that when you plug in the camera via that adapter it will start working immediately. The stock nav unit knows when you put the vehicle in reverse etc...

If anyone else can provide any additional information on this please chime in!

It doesn't take much disassembly to do what you need to do, running the wire for your camera will definitely be the hardest part. Removing the head unit and is a snap, two screws above the heater vents to remove the bezel (check video on youtube) and only four bolts for the head unit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx, I'll post up results!!

From all the reading I've done on here, my understanding is that when you plug in the camera via that adapter it will start working immediately. The stock nav unit knows when you put the vehicle in reverse etc...

If anyone else can provide any additional information on this please chime in!

It doesn't take much disassembly to do what you need to do, running the wire for your camera will definitely be the hardest part. Removing the head unit and is a snap, two screws above the heater vents to remove the bezel (check video on youtube) and only four bolts for the head unit.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do!

Jettix2,
When you have time could you post pics of the parts you ordered. Depending on how your install goes, I'll probably do the same thing. Thanks for being the trail blazer on this one.

Thriller

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the GROM unit and it doesn't work. Trouble shooter with them, turns out that it is not compatible with the rear Entertsinment system.

So, sending that back.

Crutchfield hooked me up with a place who makes a correct harness for the truck AND a Parrot Bluetooth device. Hopefully this works better;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll tell you what Toyota was on some real BS when they designed this system...

I wanna rip all this crap our so bad it's killing me!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
After some deliberation, I think I'm going to just go with a backup camera upgrade only. Jettix, with the issues you are running into, would I also run into these if I'm only looking to do the backup camera?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After some deliberation, I think I'm going to just go with a backup camera upgrade only. Jettix, with the issues you are running into, would I also run into these if I'm only looking to do the backup camera?
Backup cam should work slick.

I've gone so far as to install the harness I bought from here Eclipse Rear View Camera Plug for AVN Fujitsu Ten Headunit BUC100 | eBay (I have no affiliation with the seller) while I wait for my camera to show up.

The radio now goes black as soon as I put it into Reverse and has the warning "Always check surroundings when backing up" or something. I'm sure when I hook the camera up that I purchased, it'll work great;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the harness today. Plugged it into the stereo, and also into the Parrot Mki9100 that I purchased (9200 has a better display but I wanted the smallest possible) and it works like a charm.

Satellite radio and rear camera install next week, I hope. I'll post pics when I am done :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got the GROM unit and it doesn't work. Trouble shooter with them, turns out that it is not compatible with the rear Entertsinment system.

So, sending that back.

Crutchfield hooked me up with a place who makes a correct harness for the truck AND a Parrot Bluetooth device. Hopefully this works better;)
Well that doesn't make sense, my truck has rear entertainment and it works just fine for me. Maybe it doesn't work with the navigation head unit???

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure, I have DVD + NAV, after emailing back and forth several times, their tech support told me it wouldn't work because I had Rear Entertainment. I wasn't impressed with his "troubleshooting" skills, which bummed me out because I wanted an "invisible" module instead of the Parrot that I ended up with (which is just one more "add on" sitting on the dash, ya know). I've got the E7006 head unit, which is yours?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got the harness today. Plugged it into the stereo, and also into the Parrot Mki9100 that I purchased (9200 has a better display but I wanted the smallest possible) and it works like a charm.

Satellite radio and rear camera install next week, I hope. I'll post pics when I am done :)
Jettix2,
I have a 06 Sequoia with the same E7006 navigation & rear dvd. Looks like I'm going to have to go with the Parrot Mki9100 for bluetooth audio streaming as well. Did the Parrot unit come with install instructions for our Sequoias? The supplied wiring harness looks like a mess. Also, were you able to install Satellite radio as well?

·
Registered
733 Posts
You can get a few connectors GROM, USA SPEC, VAISTECH and they connect to the factory radio. I really like the USA spec is supposed to automatically turn the radio on if you receive a call and it is off. Will also automatically change to the unit if you are listening to the radio. I probably would have bought it if I didn't really want to use a USB drive.

I bought the GROM and I have one issue. I might just need a firmware update but it is supposed to be 8 degrees out tonight and so it might be a few days before I get around to it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts