Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.
You said you picked-up the BEC-113 on Ebay, did you find a local seller or is it coming from Japan? Unable to find any in the states.
If so, let me know how long it takes to receive and if you don't mind, the seller.
It's coming from Japan. I couldn't find any from the states, except the one on Amazon, for nearly $300. I will post back how long it took and the seller I purchased from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a video of someone installing a camera on a Sequoia.
He is using a different HU but he does show how to access inside of the back door, and at the end of the video an easy way to run the wires through the vehicle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny...I wanted to get moving on this project as well. I ordered on Friday night and should have it In hand tomorrow. I went with the same buyer. Pretty incredible that he is able to get these to us under a week
With any luck I will try just connecting the camera prior, to the weekend and see if it is indeed plug and play.
I will also keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A quick update, on Phase One of back-up camera install.
Before routing the cable and mounting the camera (BEC113), i wanted to make sure that it was truly "plug and play".
I went ahead and disconnected the battery and removed the radio. I plugged in the camera (came with the correct connector) to the correct port on the back of the radio, reinstalled the radio, connected the battery and started the Sequoia.
All went well at this point, the radio turned on and the display came up with the normal "i agree" message.
I put the Sequoia into reverse and long behold the display now was showing what the camera was pointing at (in my case, i had a nice picture of the rear seats and rug).

With this said and done, in my case it is indeed plug and play.

I did move forward with running some of the cable. I'm stating at the radio and working my way back. I will follow up with the route i'm taking and will included some pictures.

I wanted to post some good news about this project.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A quick update, on Phase One of back-up camera install.
Before routing the cable and mounting the camera (BEC113), i wanted to make sure that it was truly "plug and play".
I went ahead and disconnected the battery and removed the radio. I plugged in the camera (came with the correct connector) to the correct port on the back of the radio, reinstalled the radio, connected the battery and started the Sequoia.
All went well at this point, the radio turned on and the display came up with the normal "i agree" message.
I put the Sequoia into reverse and long behold the display now was showing what the camera was pointing at (in my case, i had a nice picture of the rear seats and rug).

With this said and done, in my case it is indeed plug and play.

I did move forward with running some of the cable. I'm stating at the radio and working my way back. I will follow up with the route i'm taking and will included some pictures.

I wanted to post some good news about this project.

This is great to hear! I was hoping it truly was plug and play. Can you take pictures of mounting your camera as well? I'm interested to see the route you take for your cable. Looking forward to your progress. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello All,
I finally found the time to update my progress on adding the back up camera. As stated before, it did indeed turn out to be "plug and play" and took about 3hrs to complete the install.

I did take my time to figure out the best and cleanest route to run the cable and mount the camera. Though the mounting could of been better, but i didn't want to drill any holes. I used the mount that came with the camera, which they use double sided tape to secure it .

I started at the radio and started working my way to the rear. This camera/cable has a connection in the middle, so i had to keep in mind to where this would end up.
From the back of the radio i ran the cable under the steering column, behind the knee panel.
From there, i routed behind the connection panel on drivers side(by your left foot) and then unto the cable trough located under the door sills. The interested part, the plastic cable holder had a place to hold a separate cable/wire, i used this to hold the cable in place.
The cable was long enough to get me just past the rear door sill and into the area just behind the door.
At this point i started mounting the camera and running the cable from the rear door to this connection spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
When it came to mounting the camera and running the cable through the rear door to the connection point from the above post, i didn't want to make any new holes in my Sequoia. So i tried to find the best way to do so.
I mounted the camera to the right of the license plate and ran the cable through the area where the license plate light is. I needed to remove the rear plastic license plate panel (i think this is the same process as if you were going to replace the rear door handle). I basically followed the wires for the license plate lights through the rear door, figured this was the best route so it would not be caught in the rear window.
The hardest part was routing the cable through the rubber flexible conduits (i think that is what they are called). The connection in the cable is a little bit on the large size which made it difficult, but it is doable. This step took the longest.
Once inside the Sequoia, i continued to follow the wiring harness. I worked my way down the driver side rear pillar and across the driver side rear wheel well to my connection point. The above steps required the removal of a good amount of inside body panels. They all were removed and re-installed with out damage.
When i first opened the camera, i thought where i'm going to "hide" all this cable. It looked like it was a mile long, once i started to run it, it was found that i had about an extra 4". So i would be cautious on what route to take when running it.
I hope this will help.
Overall, a pretty good project and went smooth.
Though i'm more of a hands on type of person, not a writer. Please excuse my spelling and grammar, not one of my strong points.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you Salth! This is EXTREMELY helpful. I think I'll take the same route you did with the wires. How do you feel about the double-sided tape? Is it pretty sturdy? Are there any tools outside of the car panel removal tool and standard sockets you suggest? I've already replaced the rear hatch handle, so I have those tools. Thanks again for the pictures and descriptive details of where to run the wire. I'll tackle this as soon as I finish some house projects.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The double-side tape is holding up, though i'm keeping an eye on it. Might looking for something strong. But it is working and hasn't moved since i put it on. I would clean the surface with alcohol prior.
Beside the standard items you listed, a thin wire (or weed wacker line) to help snake through the plastic conduit. The main one that connects the door to the body, i found that the connection point to the body and can be removed and folded back a bit to help. Found this after about 30 mins of trying. One of my pictures shows this. There is a white plastic grommet that need to be unclipped (look for this from the inside of car on the roof) that will release the rubber.
Download the service manual and look for the section for replacing the rear side window, this will show all the plastic inside body panels that need to be removed and how to do so.
I think that is about it, if you have any other questions let me know and good luck. Keep us updated.

BTW, the wife loves it.

Thank you Salth! This is EXTREMELY helpful. I think I'll take the same route you did with the wires. How do you feel about the double-sided tape? Is it pretty sturdy? Are there any tools outside of the car panel removal tool and standard sockets you suggest? I've already replaced the rear hatch handle, so I have those tools. Thanks again for the pictures and descriptive details of where to run the wire. I'll tackle this as soon as I finish some house projects.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you so much for your help Salth2oj! I did my rear camera install yesterday, it took me about 5 hours with distractions (darned kids!) It's a huge improvement in the Sequoia, my wife is extremely happy. Thanks again, the pictures and tips really helped!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Based on the knowledge of this thread, I managed to get my bec113 installed over the weekend. Works great with the new Grom unit as well!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes! It integrates flawlessly. I can't believe for such a massive car and an easily adapted rearview camera that Toyota didn't install these factory. Where did you mount yours? I put mine on the trailer hitch but it's too low to be effective for me. I'll need to movei t.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes! It integrates flawlessly. I can't believe for such a massive car and an easily adapted rearview camera that Toyota didn't install these factory. Where did you mount yours? I put mine on the trailer hitch but it's too low to be effective for me. I'll need to movei t.
I mounted mine just outboard of the passenger side license plate light, attached to the horizontal surface. I too am surprised they didn't offer it as an option at least. Between that an the Grom the wife is stoked!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This thread is really old, but I'm glad it's still open. It was a big help on my '06 Sequoia. It's got 180k and we've had it since new. Running great so figured we would fix the nitnoid things that were wrong with it and add Bluetooth/Camera. Bought the backup camera for $90, replaced bulbs in the climate panel for $40, added bluetooth for about $70, added new foam surrounds on the factory speakers for about $30. A lot cheaper than an new Sequoia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just updating this thread as I also added a backup camera and bluetooth to my Limited with factory Nav/DVD. The adapter (expensive for what it is, but worth it for the time savings) is just plug and play into the factory head unit, then all I needed to do was install the camera to the license plate and wire it into any 12V source. I ran the wires on the passenger side above the doors. there is a nice little channel in the trim that holds wire nicely. I also installed the Grom BT which was plug and play and ran the mic wire to the overhead console. here are the parts I used for info.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts