Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me tell you guys that you're a bad influence on me. After reading all of the stories of how you have pimped out your stereos I could no longer resist the temptation and have ordered some stuff for my truck. I ordered the eclipse avn5500 navigation unit with the ipod adaptor, kenwood Excelon KAC-X20 amp and a kicker solobaric L5 dvc 10" (square) which is going into the jack compartment. I'm making a modified lid for it and am going to seal it with foil tape and foam before I fill it with poly-fill and bolt it down. I'm also going to run the power cable under the truck to the rubber grommet under the front passengers seat instead of going through the firewall. I'm also going to run the gps antenna wire out through it as well. I'm also going to use a lighted toggle switch for the amp power lead so I can cut it off when I need to. I plan on using one of the cutouts on the center console for that as well as placing the kenwood amp control in the little pocket next to it. I'm looking forward to getting this project underway and getting the bass back that I've been missing since I bought this truck.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Well, sorry we made you spend money:p

I dont like bashing on other stuff people are using, but here is a suggestion. If you like nice clean bass that hits with authority below 40hz, then ditch the L5. If you like silly silly silly loud, then keep it. I would suggest TC-sounds, Assendant audio, Elemental Designs, Image Dynamics. These are some "underground" companies that dont buy into all the mass market hype.

Not tryin to bash, just want to help.:)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I also looked at the clearance and there's only about 6" of mounting depth in there which limits my options. I've had kickers in the past and the square gives me a lot of performance for the limited space I'm working with. I'm not looking to wake the dead just to feel what I'm listening to. I listen to several metal genres so the lowest bass notes are not required but a good hit is always welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Elemental has the 11kv.2 that is 5.25"deep.

Hey man, if you like the kickers rock on, just tryin to suggest some better performers (IMO) for less money.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You might want to check your measurements again, if you have the double cab I'm pretty sure the mounting depth is only about 4.5". Also, you have to make sure that the magnet diameter is not too big or else it will hit the side of the compartment wall. Lastly, the airspace in the jack compartment if I remember correctly is only a little over .4 cubes, I've heard those square kicker subs require a good amount of airspace. I hope it works out for you, but just wanted to gives you some things to double check.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are right. When I rechecked that compartment with the lid I cut the sub will extend too far to the sides and bottom. I believe that I'm now going to build or have built a custom arm rest for the center with the sub facing down towards the seat. If I get something that is 14x16x7 it should almost have 1 cu ft plus be low enough that the rear passengers will find it usable as an arm rest. I'll have shallow legs put on the underside to lift the sub off the seat just a little so it can breathe. I've contacted Klaus Audio for a quote. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
I think either an ED or Tang-Band shallow 10" sub should work. Also, JL 10w1v2 is less than 4.5" depth. I looked for subs less than 4.5" and this is all I could find for now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys are right. When I rechecked that compartment with the lid I cut the sub will extend too far to the sides and bottom. I believe that I'm now going to build or have built a custom arm rest for the center with the sub facing down towards the seat. If I get something that is 14x16x7 it should almost have 1 cu ft plus be low enough that the rear passengers will find it usable as an arm rest. I'll have shallow legs put on the underside to lift the sub off the seat just a little so it can breathe. I've contacted Klaus Audio for a quote. What do you think?
I think if you can do this and make it look nice you will be much happier with the sound, instead of cramming something in a space not big enough for it's proper function. If you are at all handy and have tools you can build it yourself for like 30 bucks, save ya lots of money.

Do you work for puffnstuff (catering) or something?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I've decided on an enclosure that will take up the middle of the floor between the console and the rear seat cushion. I've contacted the guys who build this

and have asked them if they'll do it to accomodate the L5. If so then it is what I will use. They are online at htp://www.supercrewsound.com

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I had an 8" L5 in my ac-in fact there are some pics of how I did the cover in the storage compartment (in my gallery). I had done a few different custom enclosures in my t100 up to specs-in cub feet-both ported and not ported. Yea it hit-and even hit more when I had to 8" in L5's- Then I got the tundra-wanted to hide the bass-so I didn’t get my window knocked out like I had in the t100-so I fabbed up that cover and it hit- No, it was not up to specs in regards to cub feet-no I was not fiber glassed and sealed like I could have done it- No I did not ruin my trucks interior because it was easily removable.

Did it hit because it was already that good-

Yes-

I am all for saving money and looking into other brands-but I already had everything-threw it in and it gave me what I needed-

I am currently putting my ac back together all stock-so I can sell and upgrade to that fantastic doublecab.

Wow can’t wait-so much more potential in that larger interior with audio/video-

Good luck

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys I've already commited to the 10L5 so there's no turning back. I may also just go ahead and replace the door speakers with eclipse components in the front and triaxials in the rear doors but I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys I've already commited to the 10L5 so there's no turning back. I may also just go ahead and replace the door speakers with eclipse components in the front and triaxials in the rear doors but I haven't decided yet.
Let me just tell you that you will be sorely dissapointed if you spend time and money to install your sub in a box that is too small. I would highly recommend building a proper enclosure or buying a different sub. Either way, good luck. I would definitley upgrade your front stage with a nice set of comps and a good multi-channel amp. I wouldn't be too concerned with putting speakers in the rear, just leave your stocks running off of your head unit.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I am going to have to go ahead and say he will not be disappointed with the 10" L5 solo baric. Most of you are speaking of general knowledge or guessing. I have personally worked with the solo baric-built boxes for my t100 to spec-and not so great enclosures to use in the ac tundra. You all have to understand that the square sub provided max performance for little space. Yea it would sound better with the proper enclosure, we all know that. But they provide enough performance in a under made box that it still works and sounds great. They provide a lot of punch-sure there not cheap-but you can always sell it on ebay if you’re not impressed.

Good Luck-

Btw-don’t know if you have thought about this-im sure someone has mentioned it before.

If you remove the carpet-you will see there are metal frames that the seats sit on. If removed and replaced with a custom mdf box that would either spread out under the entire rear seat. Or you could removed just one side and leave the other. This would take some fabrication, but worth it. If it were me and strived for a great audio system (and new it wouldn’t get stolen) I would look into this. Incorporating a little welding-some metal stock-mdf-you could complete re-due the setup. And then going to a local interior shop-could get extra carpet-(the should have a close match).

I did this in my t100 awhile back-and what you get is:

1. enough space to put whatever you want in- in my case- 2 8” solo baric L5’s
2. there are out of sight for the most part-
3. out of the way-and you could also hide the amps with not to much more work
4. nice mildly custom setup-

-Todd
:tu:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I never said he was going to be disappointed with the kicker sub. I was just saying that I would stick with at least the minimal required airspace that the manfacturer recommends, for a reason by the way. I said that I thought that he would be disappointed if he spent his hard earned money and time (time=money) by installing his sub in a box that was too small (by kickers standards, not mine).

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
good point- just saying I have done it-they still sound good-and he already has the L5. If he hadnt bought anything yet-and didnt want to fab much-i would deff not go witht he kicker-I will prob do something simple to the DC I will be trading for. I is just not worth it unless the truck is payed for. It costs to much to put it back to stock-again I know that too-not proud of it-

Have a nice day

Todd

1 - 20 of 30 Posts