Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience with any of the sound deadening mats or other products out there? I want add it to my doors, under the headliner and basically the whole cab area and I'm not sure which products REALLY WORK..any ideas would be help.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I did it in my last truck (Mazda/Ranger) I had a spray in dampening made by Rockford Fosgate sprayed in the doors, roof, back wall. I also sprayed expanding foam in some of the cavities and applied a Dynamat knockoff in a few strategic places. I also added another layer of insulated padding underneath the carpet. I bought the Dynamat and padding from JC Whitney for much cheaper than the stereo store.

The truck was much quieter, the big bonus was that I didn't have to turn the stereo up and down when driving.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did it in my last truck (Mazda/Ranger) I had a spray in dampening made by Rockford Fosgate sprayed in the doors, roof, back wall. I also sprayed expanding foam in some of the cavities and applied a Dynamat knockoff in a few strategic places. I also added another layer of insulated padding underneath the carpet. I bought the Dynamat and padding from JC Whitney for much cheaper than the stereo store.

The truck was much quieter, the big bonus was that I didn't have to turn the stereo up and down when driving.
That's what I'm looking for a bit more quiet in the cab and not having to turn up the music so loud just to hear it on the highway..Thank's

·
Registered
798 Posts
3M Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation is the ultimate sound proofing product, plus its extremely light in weight. Thinsulate is so good 3M won't sell it to the public, only to the automakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
why would 3m limit and exclude a potentially huge market for their product?
I don't know the underlying marketing reasons, but I was hoping someone on the forum might know how to get around the availability-to-the-public problem; e.g. know of a specific body shop or other type of retail outlet that might be able to acquire Thinsulate Acoustic Insulation direct from 3M.

Although Toyotas come from the factory adequately insulated against engine and drivetrain noise, they suffer from alot of road and tire noise. Dynamat and other sound barrier and damping type materials don't do much to eliminate road and tire noise plus they add alot of weight to the vehicle. Thinsulate does an excellent job of absorbing the road and tire noise with minimum weight and minimal thickness (1/2 inch), plus it's a superb insulator against both heat and cold.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just double dynamatted my four doors, roof, floor, and back wall. You can't help but notice a huge difference!
When shutting your door, it feels so solid! My girlfriend says it feel like a door of a Mercedes or BMW. Even the handle pops differently. It doesn't feel like a tin can anymore.
Road noise is a reduced to a dull whisper. I can now confidently pick just about any dual exhaust and not fear the drone!
The reason I had it dynamatted initially was for my sound system. No door panel rattling, better sound quality, ect..
It was a last minute decision, I'm so happy the guy sold me on it! :tu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts