Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my '07 Tundra (4x4; Regular Cab) in to a local Toyota dealership for an oil change and maintenance at the 45,000 mile marker. The service adviser tried selling me on a variety of extra services that he felt were needed at 45K miles. These included:

* Performing ZAK Battery Service with Anti-Corrosive Terminal Pads
* Installing ZAK Engine Oil Conditioner
* Performing Premium ZAK Fuel Injector Service
* Performing ZAK Throttle Body Service

All of these services weren't listed in the maintenance guide that came with my truck when I bought it, so I was a little suspicious. Any suggestions on whether I need to get these services done? Are they really needed at 45K miles?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
My dealership tried to get me to change the front diff fluid and transfer case fluid. I told him, "Good luck! You won't find them because it's a 2WD." I don't totally blame him though, 2WD models are few and far between around here.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Having been a Toyota service adviser I can wholeheartedly say no, you don't need anything they recommended. They are trying to sell you 'maintenance' vs. repair work. I used to have a tech on another team that would write a 2 page repair order before even putting the car on the lift. He spent more time writing this up then looking at the car, I suggested to him that he just photocopies his RO's and hand them out to save time, he wasn't amused, f him.

There is nothing they are offering you there that you couldn't buy at Autozone/Pep Boys/etc for 1/10th of the price. Stick to the service manual, my only recommendation when it comes time to trans fluid/brake fluid/etc is if you tow go with 30k intervals, if you don't 45k intervals.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
My dealership tried to get me to change the front diff fluid and transfer case fluid. I told him, "Good luck! You won't find them because it's a 2WD." I don't totally blame him though, 2WD models are few and far between around here.
I would have told them to so they could;
A) Be caught in a lie
B) Had to admit the techs they have aren't any more qualified than the ones at Jiffy Lube. (the majority)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
nothing there is worth anything...just "busy work" for them to collect money from. completley useless. just change the oil as instructed in the manual..dont fall for the "you need a tranny flush or drain and refill" all the time eitehr. its a sealed tranny...that should tell you something. sure if you tow a heavy load you can do more but for normal people theres no reason at all in doing all that stuff they bundle together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice guys, thanks! A few of you brought up the topic of flushing the transmission. I've been hearing all sorts of stuff about when to have that done. I don't do any towing, so I'm wondering if it's a good thing to do at 45K or whether I should wait until 60K or later. Any thoughts? Even if it is a sealed system, would it still be smart to flush the tranny sometime soon?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yeah, took mine in for its 15k. It was one year old. They told me that the alignment needed doing every year. Never been off road, never hit a kerb, drives straight and true and no unusual tire wear. Told them no.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Transmission flushes always worried me. I am concerned about transmission fluid, probably because I am a fool, but I have always tried to just get a fluid drain and refill every 30-40K miles. Draining doesn't remove all the old fluid, but it is much less invasive then a flush, which uses high pressure and can clog up little passageways.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I recently took my '07 Tundra (4x4; Regular Cab) in to a local Toyota dealership for an oil change and maintenance at the 45,000 mile marker. The service adviser tried selling me on a variety of extra services that he felt were needed at 45K miles. These included:

All of these services weren't listed in the maintenance guide that came with my truck when I bought it, so I was a little suspicious. Any suggestions on whether I need to get these services done? Are they really needed at 45K miles?

Thanks,
Tony

no,, that stuff is all snake oil crap...
you will prob need and airfilter, maybe cabin filter... oil change.. rotate..

if the battery terminals are corroded cleaning them is a bandaid... and you can do it at home easy..

park somewhere you dont give a care about making a mess ,,, get some scorching hot water, and pour it on the battery and terminals, it will clean off 80% -100% of the corrosion... for FREEEEEEEE

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
and WS tranny fluid,, I dont recommend to any of my customers until 80-100k unless you beat the hell out of your truck or tow hard... the stuffs expensive as hell, but is pretty awesome,, I havent seen many trans issues at all since we started using it..

·
Registered
139 Posts

Thanks,
Tony
Not no but HELL NO!!....I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you "blinker" fluid..... All manufacturers are engineering vehicles to be less maint. intensive and have much longer intervals. The manufacturer is concerned about brand quality and customer retention, while the dealer is trying to make money on "Fixed Ops." aka parts/service, so when the manufacturer reduces the frequency or even the need for certain maint. items this hits the dealer in the pocketbook, thus all these "needed" services like they tried to upsell you on. Only take your vehicle to a dealer for warranty work or recalls, anything else and you might as well bend over and say "thank you sir may I have another!" :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not no but HELL NO!!....I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you "blinker" fluid..... All manufacturers are engineering vehicles to be less maint. intensive and have much longer intervals. The manufacturer is concerned about brand quality and customer retention, while the dealer is trying to make money on "Fixed Ops." aka parts/service, so when the manufacturer reduces the frequency or even the need for certain maint. items this hits the dealer in the pocketbook, thus all these "needed" services like they tried to upsell you on. Only take your vehicle to a dealer for warranty work or recalls, anything else and you might as well bend over and say "thank you sir may I have another!" :)
Good point...thank you!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
no,, that stuff is all snake oil crap...
you will prob need and airfilter, maybe cabin filter... oil change.. rotate..

if the battery terminals are corroded cleaning them is a bandaid... and you can do it at home easy..

park somewhere you dont give a care about making a mess ,,, get some scorching hot water, and pour it on the battery and terminals, it will clean off 80% -100% of the corrosion... for FREEEEEEEE
we routinely get corrosion on our boat's terminals and i always just use a stream of water from the hose and it washes right off and i flush it right down into the bilge and out the azz drain plug. same thing for if i get corrosion in the car/truck terminals. just a strong stream of water to wash it off...never had to use the hot water but if i find some that is stubborn sometime i'll certainly give it a try

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I agree about washing it off BUT I usually mix up a bit of baking soda and water to neutralize it before spraying it off. Just a safety measure in case some of it gets into somewhere it shouldn't be.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts