Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local exhaust shop to get a price on swapping out the stock muffler for a flowmaster 50 series. they recommended to go with magnaflow because the flowmaster would be "to loud". i intend to keep the stock 2 1/4 pipe and just remove the resonator and add a tip. which brand would be better to go with? I have heard numerous sound clips but I cant make a decision from a sound clip. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I got a banks exhaust system. A lot of people on here go with the power sticks. Go to u tube and listen to them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like the banks system?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Ive got dual delta 40's and love em.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I love the Banks sound, but it droned really bad. The drone was probably from the fact that I have long tube headers and front cat deleted. I had to cut the exhaust just over the rear axle to get rid of the drone. Truck looks really clean with out a exhaust tip. I did notice a loss in some low end torque though.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I had a 50 SUV series 2in/2out flowmaster and it was decent. Absolutely no drone and the tone was very mild. I dont think that guy you delt with has any idea of flowmasters. I now have dual 40 series and it is louder than the 50 and still no drone. I have heard that maganflo has a drone issue but not too sure which style or part number is associated to the drone issue. You should take your business to another shop. They may be a magnaflo peddler so they are steering you in that direction to make their "cut". If you are looking for sound a 50 series SUV style is good because it has a slight deep tone at idle but turns into a deep growl when you mash the pedal.

·
Registered
293 Posts
On my 2003 Chevy Silverado I had the 40 series flowmaster muffler, it wasn't that bad and the price was good at the time. I would not go with flowmasters myself again after listen to the sound of those powersticks(classic chambers).

On my Tundra I have now I am in the process of getting some classic chambers for my truck(Vette powersticks). Their are a lot of clips on Youtube, one is by NEGRA a fellow TS member, CHECK IT OUT!!!

One other thing if you go to the search section of this page. Type powerstick and you will see a lot of info on them from other TS member. BTW I do not work for classic chambers company and I do not get anything for promoting their product, just customer satisfaction.

Later dog nutz!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have the Flowmaster 50 series dual in single out. It is not loud at all. I can definately hear it when I get on it, but when just crusing, it's very mellow sounding.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the 50 series delta 2 in 1 out and it sounds good to me, not super loud like some I hear

·
Registered
383 Posts
Put in a dual in/out Flowmaster 50 series and had it swapped out after a week because it was too quiet. Now I'm running a custom dual in/out Flowmaster 44 series and it sounds a lot better. Can't speak for Magnaflow becuase I've never used their products.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which series has a better sound the 40 or 50, and would it be better to go with a dual in single out, or 2 single in/out. It doesn't matter if there are 1 or 2 pipes at the rear of the truck. I want something that has a mild sound at idle but really comes to life when you get on it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the 18" Magnaflow 2in/1out dumped right after the muffler, and I was pretty happy with it, no drone and had a nice low end sound (sitting in my garage now). However, I really like the sound of the Flowmasters, the only problem for was it would seem to me that the baffles would restrict the exhaust flow and I heard that these baffles come loose sometimes, majority seem to say they have never had this problem.

Well, I ended up getting the Powersticks (two 2.25") dumped behind the muffler again, added a H-pipe. I was hoping to get the Flowmaster sound with a more straight through exhaust. The sound is okay, not as nice as Flowmaster IMO, but I do have drone between 1500-1900 rpm and it seems to respond different off the line...can't put my finger on it. When I left the muffler shop with them, I pulled out into traffic and the response wasn't there like before. Could have been the truck wasn't use to it, cuz I don't notice it as much now...but it could have been the better comparison following a change with the truck, and now I'm used to it.

Note that other people do not have these minor issues with Powersticks and I think it's more to do with my set up than the mufflers themselves. Depending how it goes after this summer of towing the boat and camping gear, I may go back to the Magnaflow.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Proforce is the way I went. Great sound, guaranteed for life, no drone. They are pretty quiet until you pour power to them, then they WAKE UP !!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts