Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my running boards yesterday. I'm going to install them myself, to avoid the ridiculous labor charges the dealer quoted me. (I have an '05 Double Cab, 4x4 Short Bed, Silver Streak Mica.)

I have the install instructions, but having never done this before, I wanted to ask some questions of those of you who have.

1) It comes with 12 M8 x 25 Serrated Flange Screws. Why? From what I see in the doc, you use six screws, two in each of the three brackets. Are there just six extra screws?

2) The instructions say to loosen the 1/4 - 20 flange nuts on the underside of the three brackets. At the end, it has you tighten them again. Why? What is the purpose of doing that? Is that for sliding the board around to make the final adjustment?

3) For attaching the brackets, it says to remove the plastic plugs covering M8 weld nuts in body of the vehicle. Are these plugs covering up predrilled holes that the M8 screws go into?

4) These plugs are just underneath the door, right? Is there a steel beam under there? The outer body seems way to flimsy to support a running board.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
86 Posts
jkouba said:
I picked up my running boards yesterday. I'm going to install them myself, to avoid the ridiculous labor charges the dealer quoted me. (I have an '05 Double Cab, 4x4 Short Bed, Silver Streak Mica.)

I have the install instructions, but having never done this before, I wanted to ask some questions of those of you who have.

1) It comes with 12 M8 x 25 Serrated Flange Screws. Why? From what I see in the doc, you use six screws, two in each of the three brackets. Are there just six extra screws?

2) The instructions say to loosen the 1/4 - 20 flange nuts on the underside of the three brackets. At the end, it has you tighten them again. Why? What is the purpose of doing that? Is that for sliding the board around to make the final adjustment?

3) For attaching the brackets, it says to remove the plastic plugs covering M8 weld nuts in body of the vehicle. Are these plugs covering up predrilled holes that the M8 screws go into?

4) These plugs are just underneath the door, right? Is there a steel beam under there? The outer body seems way to flimsy to support a running board.

thanks for your help!
1) 12 - two sides of the truck.
2) Allows you to align it right.
3) Yes
4) The body is strong there.

It's easy. You'll be glad you did it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let us know how this works out... I'm thinking of adding the rails myself. As you can see below my Taco sits alittle higher than normal and it makes getting out of it difficult when I'm dressed up for work and the side of the truck is wet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its real easy to do. A bit awkward by yourself but certainly achieveable. The boards mount to the body (not the rails like I thought they may have). The bolts have loctite on them so you dont need to really crank them down. About as easy a project as you can get.

The down side is thet aside from protecting your paint I find them fairly useless. They are tight to the truck so you just wind up getting in and out around the board instead of using it as a step. At least you will still have some paint left in the sides :) Good Luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
gator03 said:
I put mine on this afternoon and it only took me about 20 minutes.

I'm pretty short, but won't be using them to get into and out of my truck (not really needed). Although my wife uses them when she's dressed up and we take my truck when we go out somewhere.

I put them on to help protect the sides of the truck a little and because I think they give the truck a finished look.

I have some pictures under my member profile if you want to see what they look like on. If anyone wants a photo of the running boards up closer just let me know and I'll take a few more pictures.
Yea, I'm glad I got my Dee Zee tube steps installed.....they do help keep crap off the wheels from hitting the sides off the truck.

I didn't think they would protect from door dings but I washed the truck on Saturday and noticed a brown ding on the steps where somebody must've opened their door into it...glad they hit the steps and not my paint.

Boo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paulhw69 said:
Let us know how this works out... I'm thinking of adding the rails myself.
I put the running boards on this afternoon. It wasn't hard at all. I had my wife help me lift them up to get the center bracket onto the initial screw, but otherwise I was able to install them myself. It would've been awkward if I had had to lift them by myself.

Also, I didn't have an extender/adapter to fit the 13mm socket on my ratchet. But, I did have a vertical hand drill-type ratchet that worked. So, I had to crank around and around, rather than horizontally like a normal ratchet, so that was a little awkward. I cranked pretty hard, so I think the screws are in tight enough. Hope so anyway.

thanks, all, for the comments!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think I might put the electric steps on mine...Me no like running board look...but since I have to take my 3 year old sister to day care and such, I have no choice..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts