Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my running boards yesterday. I'm going to install them myself, to avoid the ridiculous labor charges the dealer quoted me. (I have an '05 Double Cab, 4x4 Short Bed, Silver Streak Mica.)

I have the install instructions, but having never done this before, I wanted to ask some questions of those of you who have.

1) It comes with 12 M8 x 25 Serrated Flange Screws. Why? From what I see in the doc, you use six screws, two in each of the three brackets. Are there just six extra screws?

2) The instructions say to loosen the 1/4 - 20 flange nuts on the underside of the three brackets. At the end, it has you tighten them again. Why? What is the purpose of doing that? Is that for sliding the board around to make the final adjustment?

3) For attaching the brackets, it says to remove the plastic plugs covering M8 weld nuts in body of the vehicle. Are these plugs covering up predrilled holes that the M8 screws go into?

4) These plugs are just underneath the door, right? Is there a steel beam under there? The outer body seems way to flimsy to support a running board.

thanks for your help!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
paulhw69 said:
Let us know how this works out... I'm thinking of adding the rails myself.
I put the running boards on this afternoon. It wasn't hard at all. I had my wife help me lift them up to get the center bracket onto the initial screw, but otherwise I was able to install them myself. It would've been awkward if I had had to lift them by myself.

Also, I didn't have an extender/adapter to fit the 13mm socket on my ratchet. But, I did have a vertical hand drill-type ratchet that worked. So, I had to crank around and around, rather than horizontally like a normal ratchet, so that was a little awkward. I cranked pretty hard, so I think the screws are in tight enough. Hope so anyway.

thanks, all, for the comments!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.