Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! :)
I was looking for any advice on sequoia's. I have never owned an SUV and have been saving for a few years to get one. I finally have enough now I can't find exactly what I need or want. I had a few questions and wanted to see if I would be able to get some helpful feed back to help in my decisions in my car hunting...

First off... Years... 2002-2006
are there any years that are better or worse than the others? looks, features, problems, recalls, etc
If so like what?? :)

I live in oklahoma. So in the winter we get ICE instead of snow.
1st Question: Do I need 4WD or is the 2WD w/ traction control the same?

I do some towing... 2 horse trailer, boat, jet skis, mx trailer... Is a 2WD V8 going to pull the same as the 4WD v8??

This is where I am stuck... 2WD (which are everywhere - easy to find) or 4WD which is rarely available???

Also... Colors, white, charcoal, silver, or black?? Just opinions are fun :)

Thanks so much for your time and help!!!
Toni

·
Registered
64 Posts
Toni,

We just bought our Sequoia a few months ago and you are making the right decision! I've owned two other SUV's and this one is a joy to drive.

Here are my thoughts...if you are towing, go with a 2005 or newer. Toyota increased the HP by 42 and added the 5 speed tranny. It is powerful and smooth. We have a 3,500 lb. boat we tow and I can't wait to hitch it up when it warms up.

Next, we had a hard time finding any Sequoia to buy, there's a reason. It's a great vehicle. If you are finding it tough to find a 4WD, it's probably the right way to go. We live in the snowy mountains of Utah so 4WD is a must.

Anyhow, hope this helps...good luck in your search.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I concur with the info about 2005 and up - the 42 hp was gained with the inclusion of variable valve timing to the engine.

The tow rating for my 4x4 is 6200 lbs and we use it all with no problem. The 2wd is 6500 lbs.

Ours is white or, more specifically, Arctic Frost Pearl. Ooooo! It's the first white vehicle we've owned and we like it a lot.

The Limited has some extra features, including height-adjustable and self-levelling rear airbags, which we've found to be a very useful addition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your quick replys and info!

White is my fav! I use to have a white Trans Am Ram Air and then I went to a Black Nissan Altima and it showed every dust smudge and KID hand print right after I washed it :)

I really couldn't find a whole lot of change in the body style from the 01-06 so thank you for the information on towing. I did not know that!!

A friend of mine just called me though and said something to keep in mind in my decission between 4wd and 2wd. He said that there are alot more repairs that come along with a 4wd. Since I have never owned a 4wd or suv I wouldn't know this either. He gave me a minor example of something to do with the brakes instead of the reg. repair its double or something like that. I am not really sure. Anyways... Any thoughts on this?

I am very excited and after saving for so long the $$$$$ is burning a hole in my pocket lol and its summer and a nice LONG fun road trip sounds like a blast... Being from oklahoma... something with a TON of water and sandy beaches sounds good or I guess snowy mountains if I get 4WD hahahha Ive never been anywhere really snowy.

Thanks again!!
Toni

·
Registered
64 Posts
JD is right about the Limited having the airbag option. Since I'm cheap (by that I mean thrifty) I put in some AirLift 1000's the other day on my SR5 to keep my vehicle level while towing. I din't go with the on-board air compressor system so I have to inflated them with a compressor, but I'm always at home when hooking up the trailer anyhow so it doesn't matter. Total cost (Car Accessories - Car Performance Auto Parts - StreetSideAuto) $80 and 2.5 hours labor.

Now that I've gone off about something you haven't asked about...4WD. I've only owned 4WD vehicles and yes there is some extra cost. However I don't think I've spent double on brakes vs. a 2WD...but what do I know, I've only owned 4WD. You also should service the front differential and the transfer case from time to time, but that's not very frequent.

Color - ours is a dark gray and I love it. It does show dust and spots, but I'm a sucker for punishment. Our last SUV was silver and that was fantastic. Even when dirty it looked nice, but it wasn't plain like white...I know, don't send me any hate mail...

·
Registered
543 Posts
JD is right about the Limited having the airbag option. Since ...but it wasn't plain like white...I know, don't send me any hate mail...
Not white... Arctic Frost Pearl, dammit! ;)

As far as I know, the brakes are the same between 2wd and 4wd. I replaced the front brake pads and rotors myself Easter weekend and it wasn't overly difficult.

About the transfer case and front diff, true enough. I haven't had to service mine yet. The transfer case fluid replacement interval is 48000 km, the front diff 24,000.

Tone, hang on to your money... the right truck is bound to come along!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If you don't need the 4WD, I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you're on ice, 4WD won't matter anyway...but some good tires will. The VSC will also be helpful in those slippery conditions. Here in Utah, I would only by 4WD and the 2WD are not really available. I don't really think there is any more maintenance with them, other than changing the diff fluid and maybe a CV boot if you happen to tear it. I also agree with the other guys, as the 05 on up will have more power and a 5 speed tranny. Although, if you do find a rare 02-03' TRD Sequoia...I would be all over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
everything that you said you where towing has the possibility for some slick mud, clay or loose sand i would only get 4wd even if you lose 300 pounds of towing capacity it will make those boat launches a breeze. but as big-o said good tires will be your best asset. best of luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
the airlift is not a limited only option.
i just purchased a certified 06 sr5 38000 miles with the sport package(included the air lift suspension), sidecurtain airbags everywhere, jbl stereo, moonroof, roof rack, 2nd row captains chairs with console, towing package, traction control, liquicell leather all around, and a bit more i cant remember.....and its white. looks good against the black accents.

u r right about these things being hard to find. if i were you i would find a certified one since they are usually in better condition and come with a free warranty. with the 05-07 sequioa u r going to get what you pay for. they are in high demand and not many are up for sale at "low" prices.

for example:
Used 2007 Toyota Sequoia Limited (White SUV) Fort Worth

nice clean ride with most bells and whistles. last year model of 2nd gen sequoia (before they became a bus)

hope this all helps. oh and with traction control u will be fine with 2wd. im just a few hours south of you and the ice kicked our asses too this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again... Still searching. I found a 05 2WD with 95K on it in moore it was Artic Frost Pearl. It had a hand full of things wrong with it like:
the whole motor system in the back window area didn't work
a few pretty good scratches and a good lil bump in the back door which could have caused the whole back window etc not working...

but anyways I passed even though it was only $16,900. Anyways the only thing I really did like about it was the color and it was the Artic Frost Pearl My question is I have seen so many different listings in 2005 for a car being for sale and all it says is white. How many different Toyota whites were there in 2005??
I have seen:
White
Super White
Natural White
Pure White
Artic Frost Pearl

???????????????????????????? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im super Stoked....

On my way to Airport!
Wish me LUCK
I hope I just found my new car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all you guys help and info!

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts