Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in market to buy a truck. Basically it will just be used for me to get back and forth to work. Good new is I only work 5.2 miles from my driveway to parking lot at work. Then whenever we (family) go anywhere on weekends, night, etc we use my wifes SUV. So my vehicle rarely ever gets used. I drive about 6-8k miles a year in my vehicles... But I do want a truck because occasionally I need it for Lowes, Home Depot trips, etc...

Id really like to get a Tacoma/Tundra because everyone I know seems to swear by them. but my problem is I am a little strapped for cash right now. I dont want to finance another payment because wife and I are trying to clean up credit to buy a new house in next year or so... So... Im stuck finding a truck for cash. I have found all kinds of Chevy, Fords, etc in my price range but VERY FEW Toyotas. I did find one though...

For Sale 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 AccessCab- V8, Automatic, am/fm/tape/cd player, Green Exterior, Tan Interior, Bedliner, New Timing Belt @ 175K, New Tires, New Battery, New o2 sensors, All Service Done at San Marcos Toyota. Have a folder showing all repairs done to truck. Awesome Truck! Ready to Drive! FYI...Does have a Crack in the Windshield.

I talked to him and he says truck is pretty strong and runs good. No problems. But it has 217k miles and that scares me. Like I said, whatever I buy isnt expected to last me forever, but would like it to be dependable. I cannot afford to go out and buy a new transmission or engine anytime soon. Im looking to stay in the $7,000 price range and again, there arent many Toyotas...

if you were in my situation, would you go for a Tundra with 200k miles or would I be better looking at a Chevy/Ford in the 100-130k range??

·
Registered
379 Posts
You might want to look at getting a T100 instead of a Tacoma or Tundra. They can be bought pretty cheap. Just a quick look at the autotrader gave the following results:

1995, 4 cyl, 5-speed, 140k miles- $3,800
1993, 6 cyl, auto, unlisted mileage- $3,800
1995, 6 cyl, auto, 155k miles- $5,600
1996, 6 cyl, 5-speed, 157k miles- $5,800

There were many others, but I don't want to list them all. If you're just using it for a 5 mile drive every day with the occasional Home Depot trip, I think a T100 would work perfectly. A lot of people here that own Tundras that used to have T100s have always talked about how solid their T100 was. I personally know nothing about them as far as reliability is concerned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well, you have to understand that buying a truck with that many miles is a chance. you dont know how much he has pushed it. i mean its like this. if its a truck with that many miles it could be 2 options.
1. he took it on the freeway and it has freeway miles which arent as bad
2. he drove it everywhere he could and maybe drove it too much (2000 model with 200k thats alot man, i have a 1995 4runner with like 185 on it)
ps. people will say ANYTHING to sell their car to you. my advice would be to look at the engine and listen to it. if it sounds good, drives good, and looks good, maybe its just a good truck.
...after all... toyota makes the best....
PS! FORD TRUCKS BLOW!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
One thing I would definitely do with ANY vehicle over 120k miles or so would be to pay to have it throughly checked out by a good mechanic. A little bit of money spent up front can save you from some big problems later.

·
Registered
242 Posts
T100's are great trucks. I owned 2 of them before I bought my Tundra. I sold them both with over 300, 000kms. No major problems with either, and I didn't drive them gently!

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is a 2000 Tundra Work truck on eBay right now with a $7800.00 Buy it Now and under 100K miles.

I would be all over that myself,but I got an 01 with 10K for $9000.00 in January already.

I would go for something like that again in a heartbeat.
Much more simple truck but outstanding like every other Tundra I have been in.:)

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts