1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Sounds Nice. I have been looking into one of these and am just curious to how it sounds on the road (you know the dreaded drone).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drone is there but between 1700 and 2200 RPMs only. I will have a road test video up in a few minutes.
I maybe installing their resonator after some research to see if it goes away. With the overall quality and quietness at stop lights and cruising, I may just choose to stay with the drone but would like to reduce it if I can. Hopefully someone here has done it and will share.. :tu:

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
How bad is the drone at that rpm level. I see alot of highway miles and will be right at 2000 rpm for many miles / hours. What about a resonator tip? Would this help? My mechanic gave me a used one, it is in real good shape, barely used, just needs to be polished and installed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2nd road clip is up. I have another that I shot at cruising. Once you are cruising, the drone goes down significantly. Speeding up/taking off its there..

Third clip is long so I have to make some edits.
Look for it later.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Sounds good. Your sure you haven't added any sound deadener.

Nice Shatto.

Keep us informed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No sound deadener. All stock. You will see some serious quiet spots in this next video, Its almost 10 minutes (10 is max for youtube so I clipped a few seconds off.) There is one area where I was able to get to the century mark ... :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds really good. I might get one of those instead of a flowmaster. How much louder do you think it would be without the resonator?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Without the resonator I think you would lose some of the quietness you would get at lights etc. Try it by leaving it on first... then have the shop remove it of you think its not loud enough. Leaving it on, I think you will like it as it is. For me, it was just right!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discovery, does this have the resonator? First post i see you say something about getting a resonator or tip. I did not pick up on the dreaded tone in the audio. I could hear it when you gave it gas as speedo moved up, but when you stayed at one speed it was pretty quiet. I had one dynamax that had my kids begging me to do something about it on a yukon. The reverberation made you feel like you were in a echo chamber and the sounds were just bouncing all around you. I like the way this one sounded. I have never had a magnaflow so i can't compare.
Did you order yours offline or at local shop? I did a search on their site and no local shops here sale them. I think the closest is Houston. Thanks for taking the time to put up the clips. The 70 series flowmaster, I can't even tell it is on there. No sound at all. I don't know if removing the resonator would make a difference or not. I am going to see what kind of price i can find on line using the part number you listed. Thanks again.
zeeya

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
My MagnaDrone cat back would moan so badly at highway cruise (1600-1800 rpm) that the dash plastic would vibrate. The solution is to install Helmholtz resonators half way down the length of the tailpipes (between the rear axle and spare tire). These are just 26" long capped off pieces of pipe that you "T" into the tailpipes. Completely cancels the drone. :nod:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MC, I think I am going to try that.. just relo the stock resonator to see what happens.. Its was good to see that even with this mod, I was able to keep my idle tone etc. We get spoiled by the quietness of the Tundra.. but need the umph there as well.. Thanks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sounds good.:tu:

Were you on fairview ave in brentwood for that 2nd video?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good.:tu:

Were you on fairview ave in brentwood for that 2nd video?
I was - good catch!!! Was on my way to pick my son up so shot the video at the same time.. :ts:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did not want to hijack Aero exhaust thread but I can only post through quick replay and cannot edit post.

What is the purpose of installing after market Y when adding a new muffler?

I want to keep stock piping but the tip I want is a bit (an inch) larger would an exhaust shop be able to install with no issues when doing the muffler?

Looked for a you tube for tip install but found nothing regarding different diameters. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did not want to hijack Aero exhaust thread but I can only post through quick replay and cannot edit post.

What is the purpose of installing after market Y when adding a new muffler?
Going from 2 into 1, had not option there. The y just makes the install easier as it came pre-formed.

I want to keep stock piping but the tip I want is a bit (an inch) larger would an exhaust shop be able to install with no issues when doing the muffler?
Yes, any shop can flare the fit either way.

Looked for a you tube for tip install but found nothing regarding different diameters. Thanks for your help.
On your earlier question, I did notice a 1.5 mpg change (better) on a 3 hour round trip but cant hang my hat on it yet. Will do another 3 hour round trip today. lets see what happens... could have been anything but will check again. (I typically get 16.9mpg. I was getting over 18mpg on the last trip. Ok. After today, its back down to 16.9. I just dont get it.. :alien:) Strange but true. sneekee had the same change as well. I need to check that and performance. Mama says there is a lag :D - I dunno. Need more miles to verify.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discovery, on going to the site for Aero, the only thing they are listing is the 3030XL with the resonator built in. Did you get yours local or online. I am finding the regular 3030 on ebay from 114 to 129 and the price jumps up for the 3030XL to 179. Did they stop selling the straight 3030 on their site period? Just wanting to make sure before i pull the trigger..:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Discovery, on going to the site for Aero, the only thing they are listing is the 3030XL with the resonator built in. Did you get yours local or online. I am finding the regular 3030 on ebay from 114 to 129 and the price jumps up for the 3030XL to 179. Did they stop selling the straight 3030 on their site period? Just wanting to make sure before i pull the trigger..:)
Direct pricing - stock hasn't been available. That $114 eBay deal is what I got. Got the Y pipe on eBay as well.
Could not find it cheaper anywhere else.. :tu:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts