Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an Aero Turbine exhaust put on my 2005 Double Cab last week, and although it sounds much different than the stock one, I am looking to make it a little louder so I can hear it when its sitting in driveway and idling.

At 2000 RPM however presently inside the truck there is a massive drone, starts at around 1700 and goes away at 2300 from the looking at the tachometer.

My question is that if I remove the stock resinator thats located in front of the muffler, will it get rid of the drone inside the cab or make it worse? I am pretty sure it will make it louder from the outside, however I am guessing that with that increase in volume on the outside it will surely drone louder inside the truck?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Everything I've read on here states that drone will get worse with the resonator removed under the cab. I believe some have removed them and then had it reinstalled later. I've thought about taking mine out but I have really very little drone at all my my setup.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I took mine out on every tundra, and now my Sequioa. Sounds like a truck now. I have no complaints at all...other than that I should have removed the resonator a lot sooner. I had a similar muffler on my 05' Double Cab...mine was the Flowmaster equivalent "HushPower" muffler. Sounded awesome! I didn't notice any drone at all.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When you guys have removed the resonator, what have you replaced it with? Have you just clamped in a section of pipe where the reso was? Do you replace the entire pipe from the Y back to the muffler? And, can this be done on your garage floor, or do you need to bring it to a fab shop?

Cheers...

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
When you guys have removed the resonator, what have you replaced it with? Have you just clamped in a section of pipe where the reso was? Do you replace the entire pipe from the Y back to the muffler? And, can this be done on your garage floor, or do you need to bring it to a fab shop?

Cheers...

I had a muffler shop do mine. When I had the dual exhaust done the first time I paid $323 dual mufflers, tips, resonator removed. Sound kick a$$ and people never expect a tundra to sound like that.
Cut the original resonator out and put straight exhaust pipe in its place. No y pipe or x pipe.
Exhaust setup - Photo Gallery

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
So I had an Aero Turbine exhaust put on my 2005 Double Cab last week, and although it sounds much different than the stock one, I am looking to make it a little louder so I can hear it when its sitting in driveway and idling.

At 2000 RPM however presently inside the truck there is a massive drone, starts at around 1700 and goes away at 2300 from the looking at the tachometer.

My question is that if I remove the stock resinator thats located in front of the muffler, will it get rid of the drone inside the cab or make it worse? I am pretty sure it will make it louder from the outside, however I am guessing that with that increase in volume on the outside it will surely drone louder inside the truck?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I have had the Aero Turbine installed now for close to 30,000 miles and I love it. Initially I had some drone but that was because I very foolishly had the stock resonator removed. I had a glass pack installed in roughly the same location that the stock resonator was in and that solved the problem. Currently I am running "foolies" off the rear exit of the Aero Turbine and I just love the sound.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/performance-exhaust-systems/153700-aero-exhaust/

Cheers...
I replaced mine with a glass pack and everything is welded - no clamps on my system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I am not against the idea that the meathead that installed the muffler did a piss-poor job of welding it in place, so perhaps its resonating so bad due to an exhaust leak. From looking at the welds they are all slag and bubble gummed. I would have insisted that they re-weld it, however the kid that did it looked as though he shouldn't be trusted with a can opener so I felt better just getting my truck out of there.

I simply can't take the drone once the truck hits 1500 RPM through 2300 RPM. It isn't just loud, it rattles my ear drums. I am having it taken off tomorrow, so if anyone out there is in the market for a brand new Aero Turbine, been on my truck now for I think 8 days and has about 200 miles on it, let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
Well, I am not against the idea that the meathead that installed the muffler did a piss-poor job of welding it in place, so perhaps its resonating so bad due to an exhaust leak. From looking at the welds they are all slag and bubble gummed. I would have insisted that they re-weld it, however the kid that did it looked as though he shouldn't be trusted with a can opener so I felt better just getting my truck out of there.

I simply can't take the drone once the truck hits 1500 RPM through 2300 RPM. It isn't just loud, it rattles my ear drums. I am having it taken off tomorrow, so if anyone out there is in the market for a brand new Aero Turbine, been on my truck now for I think 8 days and has about 200 miles on it, let me know.
Is it possible it was installed backwards. If I hadn't pointed out the flow direction to the installer of my first Aero-Turbine he'd have installed it reversed.

Larry

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I have an Aero muffler with no resonator and I don't have any drone. I have had mufflers that did drone but not the Aero. I have it dumped after the rear axle and I think that makes a difference. I think the sound has a tendency to bounce back and forth within the pipes when there is a sharp bend after the muffler ie tailpipe in the stock location. Cut the tailpipe after the rear axle and before the 90 degree bend and see if that makes a difference. Check out my pics in my gallery and you'll see what I did.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So as stated before, I simply couldn't take this thing rattling my eardrums anymore and have had it removed. I had it removed at a specialty exhaust shop where I have been stopping by for info and insight for the past two weeks or so. The guy looked at it and commented on what a hack job as far as the welding and installation of the aero. I thought seriously about having him just re-weld the aero turbine in, as I really think it was so loud due to a leak, or many leaks, at the welds where the previous guy installed it.

I had the stock resinator in place with the aero turbine, as have also read many threads and responses from guys saying they have one and love it. I can't say for sure what the problem was with mine, but the drone serisouly shook my eardrums. I told the guy to install something that wouldn't drone as bad inside the cab, and to please leave the stock resinator in place. He started the truck up in the parking area to move it into the garage and put it on the lift and immediately commented on how bad the drone was even at idle. I figured he knew what he was talking about seeing as how he only did exhausts and quickly agreed.

When I picked it up the truck was still on the lift as they were putting the finishing touches on it. He removed the stock resinator and installed a single in, dual out Signature Series muffler, or a home made shops line of muffler and said I would love it. I was skeptical about the removal of the stock resinator, however again figured he knew what he was talking about.

He was right, and did know exactly what he was talking about. It looks so aggressive and meaner now with the duals coming out of the back. My truck sounds amazing, and the sound inside the cab is a solid growl that rather than gives me a headache, it forces a smile on my face.

On top of that, I now have my low end power/torque back. With the aero installed I noticed remarkably how it robbed my truck of power and torque off the line. I coudn't stand it. From reading all the information here I figured that with an aftermarket exhaust one has to sacrifice low end power, however with my new set up, my truck jumps off the line. Its sooo much more fun to drive. I should have done this a loong time ago.

Anyone out there in the market for a fairly brand new aero turbine???

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Well, I'm glad you have your problem resolved with the drone. I does make me wonder what model of Aeroturbine you had, or if it was intended for a different vehicle...or if the shop installed it backwards? Very weird. Sounds like they did a nice job on your new exhaust though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts