Toyota Tundra Forums banner

AFE cai on 07 Tacoma

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Streaks 
#1 ·
Hey there guys Im new to this site and i have only had my truck for about 3 months now. I have made some mods.... ie. 3" revtek suspension life, toyota skid plate, all visors and of course my AFE cai. But i have been having issues with the cai. Ever since i put it on the truck the check engine light keeps coming on. I have reset the light 3 or 4 times and I am lost to what the problem is. I have even gone as far as replacing the MAF sensor cuase i thought that i may have damaged it during install. Anyone else have the same issue? Please help me....

#5 ·
How long did you leave it disconnected??...Not sure how long it takes to reset the ECU, but 2 hrs did it for me.
Make sure you recheck all the fittings, tubes, etc.
If that doesn't do it...I'm stumped.

#8 ·
did you oil the filter? I think people were having trouble with the K&N filters because of the oil ****ing up the MAF...although it could be something entirely different...

If you have a mechanic friend who has access to an OBDII reader you could have him pull the code and look it up for you...

Otherwise im not sure...have you tried putting the stock back on to see if it goes away?

#9 ·
I actually sell these things and have access to the reader but it keeps telling me MAF is incorrect. I have replaced the sensor and it still occurrs after that and when i took the first sensor out i checked it and it was clean and fine but i still replaced it......lol.....warranty. So i am stumped. I think the next step is to go back to stock and see if it comes back after i resest it again...... if it comes back on i guess i got a more serious problem. Again any info would be great.... me and my journeyman friend are kinda stumped. Im looking for someone that has had the same issues.

#10 ·
I actually sell these things and have access to the reader but it keeps telling me MAF is incorrect. I have replaced the sensor and it still occurrs after that and when i took the first sensor out i checked it and it was clean and fine but i still replaced it......lol.....warranty. So i am stumped. I think the next step is to go back to stock and see if it comes back after i resest it again...... if it comes back on i guess i got a more serious problem. Again any info would be great.... me and my journeyman friend are kinda stumped. Im looking for someone that has had the same issues.
you sell these? that isn't a very convincing sales pitch...haha, If it wasn't for the fact that I liked the look of the TRD one better I might pick up the AFE

good luck

kai

#11 ·
Damn...this is puzzling!! I installed a K & N CAI.... Removed it....replaced the stock...then installed the TRD!! Each time the same procedure w/ no Probs.

I'll call my buddie at his shop tomorrow for ya...see if we can figure this out!!

#12 ·
I installed the older model of the AFE stage 2 (aluminum enclosure not plastic) and did not have any check engine light probs. I am in the process of gettin the newer model fo the AFE shipped to my house... I hope I dont have this issue although I have heard only about a handful of people having this problem. I'll install and let u know.. Make sure all of ur connections are SNUG FIT.

#13 ·
I have a new Tacoma DC that I am considering a Cold Air Intake for. I had a K&N CAI on my 98 F-150 that I put on when it was new. After a while the truck started setting a Check Engine Light. I was getting a lean bank condition code. Turns out there was a small leak at one of the connectors downstream of the MAF. The engine was sucking enough unmetered air to set the codes and light.
I suggest you double check all your connections and fittings for leaks. I am interested in what you find, as this could influence my decision on a CAI for my 07 Tacoma.

#14 ·
I wa thinking, the Cold Air Intake is really the same thing as stock for these trucks. Its getting the air out of the same hole. The only thing that changes is the filter and tube. I understand that the filter lets more air in, so that could help and maybe the shape of the tube. But i can't see how it would getting any colder air. So would it really give any extra HP. If it did it would have to be because of the Air filter letting in more air right. If thats the case wouldn't the replacment filter TRD makes pretty much give the same HP gain?

#15 ·
I wa thinking, the Cold Air Intake is really the same thing as stock for these trucks. Its getting the air out of the same hole. The only thing that changes is the filter and tube. I understand that the filter lets more air in, so that could help and maybe the shape of the tube. But i can't see how it would getting any colder air. So would it really give any extra HP. If it did it would have to be because of the Air filter letting in more air right. If thats the case wouldn't the replacment filter TRD makes pretty much give the same HP gain?

Same as stock...Errrrr...No!! Same "hole"...Yes!!

Colder air than the stock... No, the same....but with a sealed box, like the TRD and a few others, at least your not getting hot air from the engine.

Extra Hp's...debatable, but a smoother flow from front to back ( CIA, headers,and Cat-back) will gain you something. The area of the TRD CAI filter vs the TRD "Drop in" is greater as well.

#16 ·
Same as stock...Errrrr...No!! Same "hole"...Yes!!

Colder air than the stock... No, the same....but with a sealed box, like the TRD and a few others, at least your not getting hot air from the engine.

Extra Hp's...debatable, but a smoother flow from front to back ( CIA, headers,and Cat-back) will gain you something. The area of the TRD CAI filter vs the TRD "Drop in" is greater as well.
I disagree with the "colder" air bc the stock intake is sealed from engine bay also... I say this... Its the piping of the intake that makes a different along with the large inlet for air. The stock cups the air in the fender wall while AFE/TRD does not have a "cup" but draws it directly. Also the accordian type piping of the stock intake prevents smooth air flow. The response is DEFINITELY noticeable.... i guess some peopel are too skeptical and/or cheap to buy it. I dont blame ya... its pricey... but like I said I had the older version of AFE and sold it just cuz I need the money... now i'm back buying another one... what does that tell you? MY TRUCK LAGS WITHOUT IT!!!

#19 ·
I just got mine on this week and wow. It sounds much better and feels much quicker. I also notice more power for lane changes with out downshifting.

#20 ·
I love the TRD...get the rev's to around 3500...Punch it....Your in!! Nice little boost for passing and changing lanes. Works great w/ manual tranny. Sounds perfect.

Don't forget the cleaning though. Increased airflow= more particles. As that big high flow filter gets clogged, your performance goes down. Keep an eye on it.

Like I said before in a related thread here....you can scare old ladies and children very easily w/ it! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.