Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If it was me, I would buy the used one from ealvarado. If you want new, you might want to look at the open style. From what I understand it is the same thing as the closed box type but you are paying about $100 or so less because you are not paying for the plastic box the filter is housed in. Yes, some will say open style pulls hot air in from the engine compartment but when you are moving forward cold air is coming in through the grille.
hottexhaust.com is where I got mine. They dont show them on their site but they do sell them. Give them a call and ask for John.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! The open style CAI is what I want. I am going with a dry filter, for I hear that the oil on the other filter messes with the MAF. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
FYI, as far as I've seen there is no true Cold Air Intake for our vehicles. K&N/TRD/AFE/etc are all short ram intakes. Cold Air Intakes places the filter outside of the engine bay.

If someone could manage put a intake filter where the intake flow accelerator captures its air from then you'd have a CAI. Something like this;

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Thank you! The open style CAI is what I want. I am going with a dry filter, for I hear that the oil on the other filter messes with the MAF. Thanks for the suggestion.
Before you buy the dry type, have a look here click on the Pro 5 r (oiled type) and the Pro Dry S (dry type). Their own numbers show better flow with oiled filter. I was going to get the dry type same as you but this made me go with the oiled. Food for thought.
Technology

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was considering going with the oiled filter, but I have been reading that the oil lets more dirt in and the oil also messes up the MAF. I figured the open style with the dry filter should flow comparably to the oiled/closed design. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Oiled filters let in more dirt than dry filters. Period.
I respect firemedics choice, and that may be true about the dirt, but I dont do any offroading or drive in any areas where excessive dust may occur so that is something that does not worry me. I have known guys who have used these types of filters for years with no problems.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
^^^ I've heard guys that do normal street driving complain that with the oiled filters, it's not the dirt that's the issue, but that some of the oil migrates to & clogs the MAF sensor, causing error codes & stalling/sputtering issues. Then you have to have the MAF sensor cleaned, if it hasn't failed completely.

Just a thought - I don't have either yet, but was considering the Volant dry-filter for that reason

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
FWIW i had an oiled filter/cold air intake on my vette...and it fouled up the MAF once. a friend of mine kept getting CELs with his camaro SS with a drop in oiled k&n. so i dont like them anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts