Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across these online not long ago...

2008 Toyota Tundra AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filters

I was curious if anyone has experience with them. I haven't really seem them mentioned. They appear to filter as well as a stock paper filter, yet flow more air and is washable. I DO NOT want a K&N or TRD oiled filter in there that you can see straight through.

The AFE would pay for itself over the life of the truck by not having to buy replacement paper filters, with the potential for a little MPG gain by flowing more air.

Any feedback on them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I got one for the savings and convenience of cleaning it w/o having to oil it. I haven't noticed any significant MPG gains.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I don't know anything about them but I'll give you a bump. I'd like to hear some opinions also

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have an aFe stage two and i like it a lot. (its the pro dry model also similar to what you were looking at) Its the CAI version and I gained a full 1mpg over the stock air filter, the truck has a much more responsive feel to it, it adds a great mid range power boost and also helps improves low end pulling power also. Not to mention that all i have to do is give it a firm bang on the ground and its pretty much clean.

I'll warn you now though, AFE's install instructions down right SUCK! However i was able to do it and id never installed a CAI before , with the use of some common sense and once you get the hang of how everything is gonna go into place, you'll be able to do it though.

Sounds sweet to when you romp on the gas...trust me.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
The AFE would pay for itself over the life of the truck by not having to buy replacement paper filters, with the potential for a little MPG gain by flowing more air.
Well then you have little choice :p :afro::behindsofa::cheer2::deadhorse::kev::kev::kev::iwojima::llama::peace::worshiptoyota:

Happy St. Patricks' day! WOOT! :first:

·
Registered
274 Posts
i had an afe stage two oil free on my 07 tundra, will be putting one in whatever tundra i get this week or next. the sucking noise (tech term lol) it made was loud to me, not anything the ipod couldn't drown out. i felt it made a some improvement over stock, i estimated 1 to 2 mpg over oem. and yes the instructions were garbage, IIRC they had black and white pictures that i could barley make out and it looked like it was printed on a 1980's printer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Put one on (element only) two weeks ago. Three tanks of gas. trucks runs stronger and more responsive. Possibly picked up .5 to 1 mile per gallon. Increased intake sound. I like it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I would like to get the pro dry S for my 2010. I dont see them listed as a fit for this year, only 2009. Other than my 5.7 being a FF; anyone know if there is anything different with my filter housing etc. that would make this not work on my truck.?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've had the filter only installed now for 4 or 5 months and yes you will see a 1 MPG improvement. I highly recommend it. Its "permanent" in that you can wash it and never needs replacing. Some little bit of growl when you step on it and don't forget to remove the silly carbon filter right above it inside of the air housing. That got me ~.5 MPH alone.

Get it at autoanything.com for $55.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had the filter only installed now for 4 or 5 months and yes you will see a 1 MPG improvement. I highly recommend it. Its "permanent" in that you can wash it and never needs replacing. Some little bit of growl when you step on it and don't forget to remove the silly carbon filter right above it inside of the air housing. That got me ~.5 MPH alone.

Get it at autoanything.com for $55.
This is good stuff...I'm not interested in the CAI...just a replacement drop in filter. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I would like to get the pro dry S for my 2010. I dont see them listed as a fit for this year, only 2009. Other than my 5.7 being a FF; anyone know if there is anything different with my filter housing etc. that would make this not work on my truck.?
Contact AFE with the stock filter measurements. They would be able to tell you which one, if any, will fit.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any other opinions on the drop in AFE filter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter for my 5.7 Double Cab. I have noticed better mpg, seems to sound better, and better response. Now, I'm debating in removing the carbon filter above the filter which should help with mpg a bit from what I have seen in some threads. I've only had this filter for about 2 weeks but satisfied so far. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
To facilitate the air intake, AFE also produces the Cold Air Intake Kits. Basically it helps the main systems to exude is utmost power by providing the sufficient air. Yet, through the air accumulated by the Cold Air Intake and its kits the oxygen content is given off and usually mixed with the fuel for combustion. Not inefficient oxygen intake will lead to fuel’s rich mixture that could lead to major engine failure over time.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
To facilitate the air intake, AFE also produces the Cold Air Intake Kits. Basically it helps the main systems to exude is utmost power by providing the sufficient air. Yet, through the air accumulated by the Cold Air Intake and its kits the oxygen content is given off and usually mixed with the fuel for combustion. Not inefficient oxygen intake will lead to fuel’s rich mixture that could lead to major engine failure over time.
WTF???????

:abduction:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Translation: it lets in more air than the oem filter and intake.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

WTF...my thoughts exactly.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts