Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. It's an 09 Crewmax 4x4 5.7, picked up March 29th, 2009, and immediately taken out of town for a 5 month trip, 1000 miles each way.

Initial experiences: Definitely ain't no cushy limousine ride like a Silverado or a F150. Slow speed impacts on really big bumps and exceptionally rough pavent are rather jarring but it smoothens out with speed and handles pretty much everything else like a sports sedan as far as I'm concerned. It definitely lets you know what kind of road surface you're on but doesn't really get upset by anything on the highway and feels solid going down the road. It transmits road feel but stays glued down and soaks up highway bumps without upsetting the body. I prefer its ride to the competition as the two above mentioned half-tons feel somewhat squirelly to me at speed.

I am not a huge fan of the painted plastic interior, as minor mistakes and mis-haps that didn't do any damage inside my old Dakota cause nicks and scrapes here and I'll have to be extra careful. But the space is incredible, seats are super comfortable, and love that reclining rear seat. I was able to move my custom box with 1 ten in there and still have the seat recline and still have like 2 feet of leg room. Interior storage is like wearing cargo pants: There is so many different places to stash things after awhile I start forgetting where I put it all.

With only 500 miles on the clock, 18.7 mpg was my best on the highway on the way down with cruising speeds no more than 65-70 mph and either the cruise set or very minimal throttle application. Measurement was by doing the math rather than using the trip computer. 26 gallons just ain't a big enough tank for me though.

Old habits I find myself getting back into: Just whipped out the detail spray and wiped it all down even though I washed, waxed, and polished by hand just 2 days ago. Once again carrying detail spray and clean rags in the truck. Once again parking almost in the adjoining lot everywhere I go just to give my baby some space. Once again doing the 'walk around' every time I come back to it and it's been out of my site.

I never really looked that close at a clean black truck but I must say it's the most beautiful color out there when clean. I know what the challenge entails with black and I plan to give it my all. Overall this is a fantastic vehicle. Couldn't look at any other truck once I drove it and wouldn't even consider a double cab once I sat in the backseat. Oh yeah and I am still getting a kick out of the look on other peoples faces when my 5600 pound 4x4 can pull away in a left hand merging lane like it's nothing and seemlessly blend into 80 mph traffic, or some turd I am passing decides to speed up and I walk on him like he's not moving at half throttle. My Dodge 4.7 was somewhat peaky but with this thing no matter how fast I'm going or where I am in the rev range if I ask for the extra grunt, it's there immediately.

So far I have Black powedercoated steps, a Go Rhino hitch step, bed extender, matching front tint, ventvisors, and a bug deflector. My system consists of Hertz, Pioneer, and Alpine and came from my old truck. Trying to resist the urge to do more modding right now. An engagement is probably next on the list. But blacked out headlight and tail lights look mighty tempting.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?u=14020&dateline=1252360906&type=profile

·
Registered
228 Posts
Black is pretty isn't it? :) Congrats on the truck. You picked a great color. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congradulations bro. Excellent choice. I am happy every time i turn that ignition.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats on the truck!! I have a Black Rock Warrior and would rec. a clear bra quick. I just put mine on and have less than 3000 and had 2 small chips that the bra would have covered.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i really dont know if its a 4x thing or a crewmax thing where people talk about the harsh or rough ride...much less bed bounce etc...
but my 07 DC 2wd TRD rides great...much better than my reg cab 06 silverado (which is to be expected) but also better than my dad's 06 extended cab shortbed silverado the father in law or grandfather in law's 09 crewcabs...one is all loaded and the other is base work truck.... all of them have worse rides than my tundra...mine has been commented on by several people.... but perhaps if i drove a 4x4 crewmax i'd see what is so noticeable...hmmm....

but yes, nice truck black is a beech to keep but dam it looks nice when its clean and shiny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts