Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing the front brake pads on my 2003 Tundra and would like to know if any particular brand is preferrable. I want the best and I want them to be quiet. A guy at AdvanceAutoParts recommended Wagner Thermoquiet, but I don't know. I would like to hear from anyone who has replaced their pads. I'm only replacing the front pads.:ts:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Many like the OEM Toyota pads. I used some new style NAPA "hybrid" pads, about $45. I am very happy with them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I replaced mine with the EBC Green stuff 7000 series for trucks and there great! Very little dust, great stopping power, no squealing at all, and the pedal takes less effort to stop the truck. They were expensive but well worth it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I stuck with OEM on mine. I have not personal experience with aftermarket on the Tundra. However, when I still had my '94 Yota 4x4, I tried Napa pads. 6 months later I was back in for another set. That happened once more, before I went back to OEM and stayed there.

For me, brake and ignition parts, I'm sticking with Denso.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
ON my chevy trucks I"ve used the Wagner Thermoquiet for years and have been very happy with them. They stop great, very little dust and are quiet brakes. That being said..... I'll probably just stick with the factory brakes on my Tundra. They seem to be just as good to me.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Real simple...Hawk HPS.

/Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think that being ceramic makes the biggest difference on the amount of dust produced. Semi metallic making a lot more. I used raybestos ceramic pads and they work fine so far. Cost was ~ $40. Reverse squeal came back though. May need to file the edges again.

·
Registered
367 Posts
How much do OEM pads run? Is there a better place to buy them then my local dealer?
I think that depends on your local dealer. Here in the Albany, NY area, I can't get decent prices on any OEM parts from the local stealerships. I order all my stuff from Conicelli Toyota in PA (Conicelli Autoplex| Conshohocken Auto Dealer for Honda-Toyota-Hyundai-Nissan-Scion,serving Philadelphia PA 19428). They always beat the local prices, even after shipping costs, and their customer support staff has always been very helpful to me. I found them from Tundra Solutions - I think they were a sponsor at one point, or something.

Call your local dealerships and get pricing and availability; then check Conicelli, and see if they do better.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
On the 05 and 06 Tundra, there is a brake assist feature that helps slow down the truck. There also is a proportioning valve near the rear end that distributes a portion of the braking power to the rear wheels

if you change the front pads with some more aggressive ones ( read higher coefficient of friction ) you change the brake distribution and will wear out front pads and rotors disproportionately

Just keep that in mind

I have seeen it time and time again at the race track where people put huge brakes on the front wheels and end up losing control because of lack of braking to the rear wheels

Trail braking is an art that requires well balanced brake set up and well trained driver as well.

It is very temptiing to increase front braking but in an emergency, you really want a balanced braking system for stability and safety

cheers

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think I paid about $40 for my OEM pads from an online source. Not sure which one, but they should all be about the same price. My daily drive is hard on pads (60 miles of two-lane hilly/twisty roads) and I got 40k miles out of the originals. Pretty good considering. I'm fairly happy with the OEM's in terms of wear and noise, but they get hot pretty easily. I sometimes have to make some hard stops going down hill and it doesn't take long to heat them up to the point they don't grab too well. Same goes for hauling a trailer that doesn't have brakes. Gotta be real careful. The Tundra accelerates alot better than it stops!

·
2,444 Posts
On the 05 and 06 Tundra, there is a brake assist feature that helps slow down the truck. There also is a proportioning valve near the rear end that distributes a portion of the braking power to the rear wheels

if you change the front pads with some more aggressive ones ( read higher coefficient of friction ) you change the brake distribution and will wear out front pads and rotors disproportionately

Just keep that in mind

I have seeen it time and time again at the race track where people put huge brakes on the front wheels and end up losing control because of lack of braking to the rear wheels

Trail braking is an art that requires well balanced brake set up and well trained driver as well.

It is very temptiing to increase front braking but in an emergency, you really want a balanced braking system for stability and safety

cheers
Wouldn't it be possible to then adjust that brake sensing valve off the rear diff so the rear brakes would grab sooner... just like when the truck is loaded? I realize you may have to play around with it to find the happy (so to speak) median.

I have an AAL and air lift system. I run my truck with a lot of weight in it but the rear end does not sit as low as it would if running stock. I have adjusted the rear valve on the diff and opted not to install the bracket others have after installing the AAL.

The stopping power seems to be working pretty well so far. I don't know how this will do long term as I have only had the 06 DC since last Dec.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Just installed Hawk LTS pads yesterday and the difference is amazing over the EBC Greenstuff pads that were on the truck for a few years. Also changed the calipers because the pins were frozen.

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
I am using some Monroe Ceramic pads I got from the Shockwarehouse special sale a few months back, they're ok. But they create an ungodly amount of brake dust. Had to adjust my LSP/BV a few times to get the braking back to a normal feel. I'm not sure what the pressures are as I don't have that type of equipment to accurately check it, but it feels ok.

·
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ok, I pulled my receipt. I bought them from Rick Hendrick Toyota but I called them because I was also looking for some crush washers that weren't on their site. Now the kicker....since 12/22/08 these pads have jumped up like crazy. My receipt says list price $51.81 and I paid $38.86. So I guess $40 for a set of OEM pads is SOOOOOO last year. :td:

Sorry to burst your bubble. Of course, I thought I did the pads in March or April...not December of last year!

·
Registered
474 Posts
At 70+ thousand miles I replaced my OEM pads with Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads. The OEM's weren't completely shot, but close. The rotors were smooth and not warped at all, so I reused them and did not turn them. Now at 106,000 miles they still have well over half the pad left and the rotors are still rolling true. There is NO brake dust to deal with and they have truly been quiet. I have also installed the Raybestos ceramics on my 05 Honda Odyssey and have had good results there also. I will buy another set when needed.
I use my truck to pull the local highschool 24ft Pace American band equipment trailer to all football games, competitions and concerts, so the brakes get a pretty good workout.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts