Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like a Portable gps so as to use in multiple cars.
The Garmin street pilot 7200 Has xm:tu: , mp3 player, a/v input for backup cam:tu: , but looks to be too large to fit anywhere on the dash:td: :td: ,
The nuvi 660 is the right size:tu: & is portable with battery backup so u can use it on foot wich is kinda cool.mp3 player:tu:, It doesn't have the a/v imput tho.:(
Has anyone found a good unit for the 2008 tundra??
I've heard that garmin is the best is that true??:confused:
Any input is appreciated, :ts:

·
Registered
634 Posts
The Garmin street pilot 7200 Has xm:tu: , mp3 player, a/v input for backup cam:tu: , but looks to be too large to fit anywhere on the dash:td: :td: ,
The nuvi 660 is the right size:tu: & is portable with battery backup so u can use it on foot wich is kinda cool.mp3 player:tu:, It doesn't have the a/v imput tho.:(

I like both of my Garmins. My wifes uses a c320 and I use a 60csx. Both very nice units. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Garmins that have the features you are looking for. There are many other fine brands as well. I have found Garmin's customer service to be top notch as well.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I'm using my Garmin Ique at least until I get an in-dash system installed. It works pretty well and is also a PDA.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using my Garmin Ique at least until I get an in-dash system installed. It works pretty well and is also a PDA.
Did you download the dragrace tree or did it come with it?
Thanks for you reply

·
Registered
91 Posts
I own a Garmin 176C they have up grade it two the 376c I have it sitting on the dash by the clock using the bean bag mount {can't see the clock but the GPS has a clock so } if you hav a bout this is even better you can use with blue chart I will be selling mine soon the get this one

Garmin is the best Magellan's are harder to use

For boaters looking for the ultimate in portability and versatility, the GPSMAP 376C has it all. This color plotter offers satellite weather capability along with both marine and land navigation modes in one space-saving package. You can even pair it with the GSD 20™ remote sounder module to add sonar capability, or customize map data for your adventures on land or sea with optional MapSource® cartography.
Up-to-date Weather
With a subscription to XM WX Satellite Weather's "Master Mariner package", users can see continuously-delivered weather on the unit’s high-resolution 256-color sunlight-readable TFT display. Vital weather data, such as NEXRAD radar, forecasts, and current conditions is graphically displayed directly on the unit — so you can spend more time enjoying the water and less time worrying about the weather.
XM WX Satellite Weather is the same leading, analytical weather technology and data that is provided to television meteorologists across the United States. It relays a continuous transmission of 20 different types of graphical weather information that can be overlaid on the chartplotter, including:
Sample Weather Data Screens:In addition, mariners also have the option of receiving XM Satellite Radio’s 150-plus channels of commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, and entertainment programming (XM audio subscription required). Both XM Satellite data and audio are delivered to the GPSMAP 376C through Garmin’s new GXM 30 smart antenna, which is included in the package.
Perfect for Land or Sea
Similar to the GPSMAP 276C, the GPSMAP 376C is both a color chartplotter and automobile navigator. It features a built-in basemap and auto routing to help you navigate the open waters or open road. With an optional automotive kit that includes MapSource City Select® software, you can select a destination on land and receive turn-by-turn directions to addresses and points of interest throughout the United States and Canada.
Customizable Map Data
You can enhance the basemap detail on the GPSMAP 376C by downloading data from optional MapSource DVDs or CDs to an optional Garmin data card, or by plugging in data cards preprogrammed with BlueChart® or Fishing Hot Spots® detail.
Sonar Capability
In addition, the GPSMAP 376C can also receive sonar data through the GSD 20, Garmin’s “black box” sounder, which offers 4,000 watts of power peak-to-peak (500 watts RMS) in a dual-frequency transducer (purchased separately).
Estimated Retail Price:
$999.99

Expected Availability:
October 2005

GPSMAP 376C Features:
  • Can display animated NEXRAD weather radar and forecasts, current conditions, wave data, surf temperatures, and much more*
  • 3.8-inch diagonal, 480 x 320 pixel, 256-color TFT screen with adjustable LED backlight
  • Unit dimensions: 5.7"W x 3.2"H x 1.9"D
  • Stores up to 3,000 user waypoints, 50 reversible routes (300 waypoints per route)
  • 10,000 point automatic track log; 15 saved tracks
  • Rechargeable lithium-ion battery offering 4-15 hours of use (depending on backlight settings)
  • Alarms: anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint, and clock
  • Water resistant to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for 30 minutes)
* Satellite weather and audio are only available within XM’s signal coverage area.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I"ve had a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 mounted to the windshield of my 2002 Tundra Limited for about a year. I take it with me when on a trip using rentals, etc. I have the traffic system installed also.
This unit is intended for vehicle and motorcycle use only. It won't run unless connected to some 12V source. It is waterproof, has MP3 player, Bluetooth connection, etc.
Firmware has been updated three times since I've owned it, and it keeps improving in its capabilities. I also have a handheld Garmin (GPSMAP 76CS) which is usable with the same databases/maps in the truck (Garmin lets you share maps with one other unit).
RAM small vacuum cup mount for the windshield works great, and never falls off, even with rough roads at times. I found the Garmin beanbag mount (supplied with the unit) slid off the Tundra's dash.
In terms of routing function, Garmin uses the NavTeq database which is pretty accurate, and only rarely attempts to send me up one-way streets. Traffic system adapts quickly to changing conditions, and routs me around major interruptions (it once saved me from getting caught in a major road blockage in CT/I-95 on a Sunday afternoon).
I think the 2820 is a little dated now, and if I were to go with a new one, might try the Nuvi660 or 670 models.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own a Garmin 176C they have up grade it two the 376c I have it sitting on the dash by the clock using the bean bag mount {can't see the clock but the GPS has a clock so } if you hav a bout this is even better you can use with blue chart I will be selling mine soon the get this one

Garmin is the best Magellan's are harder to use

Does the nuvi 660 work as a marine gps as well

·
Premium Member
111 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Does the nuvi 660 work as a marine gps as well
I think the nuvi 660 is not waterproof, so it's probably not a good choice for boating. I looked at the Garmin website just now, and it didn't list anything regarding it being waterproof. If you want to do both, the 376c is probably your best bet. It may not have the Bluetooth and MP3 pieces, but would adapt to the truck and the boat, I'd bet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the nuvi 660 is not waterproof, so it's probably not a good choice for boating. I looked at the Garmin website just now, and it didn't list anything regarding it being waterproof. If you want to do both, the 376c is probably your best bet. It may not have the Bluetooth and MP3 pieces, but would adapt to the truck and the boat, I'd bet.

Thanks, Boston tundra

Is that the only diff. between marine & car gps is being waterproof, or are there also nautical maps or something in the marine gps

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Thanks, Boston tundra

Is that the only diff. between marine & car gps is being waterproof, or are there also nautical maps or something in the marine gps
Well, grpweld, you're starting to run into the fundamental questions here, and there is some online research you can do to help you resolve this. I'll see what I can do to help guide your research. I'm sure there will be other opinions, but here's my experience: 1) Hardware for applications (cars or boats) is specific to the vehicle. EG: a good car/truck/road unit will not be usable in the marine environment...a good marine unit would not be usable in the road environment.

Boaters like big screens, large buttons, waterproof construction, bright displays, and simplicity. Imagine what you'd like to have on the pitching deck of a sailboat approaching a harbor at night, and you'll see what's important.

Drivers like bright screens, lots of road information, data regarding restaurants, traffic information, simple buttons, and a screen which adapts to conditions.

There are units which attempt to do both jobs well (Garmin 376c as an example). The problem is that road-oriented units have road-type data loaded into the unit, and marine units usually have no data loaded...you have to buy what you want from the manufacturer or a third-party.

You, grpweld, have to figure out what you want. If you're not going offshore or long distances on your boat, then a crossover unit (road+marine) will probably do the job. However, I can tell you from hard experience that trying to read a small-screen GPS (Garmin 76CS) while the deck is pitching, the wind is blowing 30K, and you're sailing single-handed is not a great experience.

Now, it's time for you to do some research, and learn something about the fundamentals here. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, grpweld, you're starting to run into the fundamental questions here, and there is some online research you can do to help you resolve this. I'll see what I can do to help guide your research. I'm sure there will be other opinions, but here's my experience: 1) Hardware for applications (cars or boats) is specific to the vehicle. EG: a good car/truck/road unit will not be usable in the marine environment...a good marine unit would not be usable in the road environment.

Boaters like big screens, large buttons, waterproof construction, bright displays, and simplicity. Imagine what you'd like to have on the pitching deck of a sailboat approaching a harbor at night, and you'll see what's important.

Drivers like bright screens, lots of road information, data regarding restaurants, traffic information, simple buttons, and a screen which adapts to conditions.

There are units which attempt to do both jobs well (Garmin 376c as an example). The problem is that road-oriented units have road-type data loaded into the unit, and marine units usually have no data loaded...you have to buy what you want from the manufacturer or a third-party.

You, grpweld, have to figure out what you want. If you're not going offshore or long distances on your boat, then a crossover unit (road+marine) will probably do the job. However, I can tell you from hard experience that trying to read a small-screen GPS (Garmin 76CS) while the deck is pitching, the wind is blowing 30K, and you're sailing single-handed is not a great experience.

Now, it's time for you to do some research, and learn something about the fundamentals here. :D

Thank you, sound advice, & good info.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
This is what I did for my Sequoia. I used the factory mount and a piece of 2" wide aluminum stock from Home Depot. I mounted the aluminum to the bottom of the ashtray and then bent it to where I could mount the 7200 the way I wanted it. Slight vibration when driving over rough roads but no big deal. It's far enough away from the dash that I can use and see all the buttons and since I don't smoke, it uses unused space. Also, when I don't want to use the Garmin, I can take out the whole mount with no issues.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts