Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got my sway bar I heard that you can not use aftermarket hitches. Is this correct? Do any of you guys have an aftermarket hitch with the TRD sway bar? If so what brand? Thanks. I am looking at a Curt class 3. Here are the instructions

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not sure about aftermarket. Why don't you go with Toyota brand? You could get new or from a salvage yard if any have been wrecked locally.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Yours looks like no problem with the TRD Sway Bar. I have Drawtite hitch and it interfered with the sway bar link installation.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had the "Appearance" bumper installed... not knowing that they would have to downgrade the hitch...
Then later found out that the TRD sway bar will not work with my hitch....

I've been looking for a work-a-round... I'd like to get my hitch back to Tundra spec... but without that butt-ugly chrome rear bumper....
I actually had my dealership retrofit my sonar stuff into the appearance bumper...

Now... I'm thinking about painting my OG chrome bumper, so that I can have the OG hitch... as well as be able to install the TRD sway bar....
Or just making a hitch that works with my appearance bumper...

Then again... That new Denali HD with the deisel and new allison tranny is looking more and more attractive.... now-a-days...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You can use lots of hitches with the sway bar. I have the same hitch on mine and it doesn't come anywhere near the sway bar mount location. Just remember that you will need to install the spacer as if you had no hitch

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What hitch do you have SE2000? The Curt one I am looking at looks like it mounts to the bumper bracket and up into the frame.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I have the Curt. You will need some black paint as when you take off the tie downs, the metal is bare. So if you see the tie downs under the truck, you will see it goes nowhere near the sway bar mount

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks What are tie downs?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Or you could drill some clearance holes or custom mod it some how?! just a thought

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Thanks What are tie downs?

Sorry, wrong vehicle. I did two.
On the Tundra, item 1 in your instructions is to remove the angled brackets that are there now. This is where they usually put a bracket with a hole in it to tie down the vehicle for transportation.
I actually reinstalled the brackets by doing a minute or so on the grinder to allow them to fit as it could not hurt to have a little extra steel there.
It is easy to install. I did mine just prior to double rotator cuff surgery. A second body makes it easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts