Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2001 Sequoia Limited 4WD I changed the rear rotors and pads today and now the brake warning light and VCS lights won't go out. :sad3d:

On each rear caliper when I installed the pads I removed the caliper from the brake line and when I reattached it after putting the new pads in I bled the caliper until the air was gone in the drain hose.

The pedal seems soft - do you think I need to bleed the front calipers to make the lights go out? Dot 3 is correct fluid right?

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just curious is there a reason you took off the calipers? It sounds to me like you should bleed everything or add more fluid to your Master cylinder. If your pedal is soft, that means air is in there somewhere and taking off and putting on calipers is a great way to have problems with that. I've back bled my lines from the caliper to the master in order to avoid introducing air and forcing the air up to the Master. You have to use a syringe to be able to do that though. HOpe that helps, if it doesn't, then just disregard my rambling on. . .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there a reason you took off the calipers? .
It was too difficult to get the pads out and new ones in while its hanging there.

So you think the air causes the lights to come on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wondering if air in the brake lines causes the brake VSC and ABS lights to come on...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
On my 2001 Sequoia Limited 4WD I changed the rear rotors and pads today and now the brake warning light and VCS lights won't go out. :sad3d:

On each rear caliper when I installed the pads I removed the caliper from the brake line and when I reattached it after putting the new pads in I bled the caliper until the air was gone in the drain hose.

The pedal seems soft - do you think I need to bleed the front calipers to make the lights go out? Dot 3 is correct fluid right?

Thanks for your help...
There's a float sensor in the brake master cylinder reservoir. If the brake fluid level in the reservoir drops, this sensor will activate the brake warning light AND the VCS warning light. But here's the problem. The float can get stuck even after you refill the reservoir.

So when you bled your brakes, the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir fell and so did the float. When you refilled the reservoir, the float got stuck.

My guess is that your brake and VCS light problem has already resolved by now, but if not, make sure the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir is at the "full" line, then give the reservoir a couple of hard taps with your hand. This will shake the float free and the lights will go out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
....My guess is that your brake and VCS light problem has already resolved by now....

You are correct, sir!

Next morning all the lights were off.

Good info about the float switch.

Brakes still feel soft so I'm going to bleed all four as soon as I can get a helper.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
How did you make out with bleeding the brakes? On Sequioa's with ABS, you should bleed the brakes with a scan tool to get the last of the air out of the ABS system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
After new rotors, new pads, and having the brake fluid flushed professionally, that dang light still comes off and on intermittently. I just ignore it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts