Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get an aftermarket panel air filter to replace the factory one.

My first choice for brands would be True Flow, but from as far as I can tell, they aren't offering one yet. Neither is K&N.

I'm looking for one that will flow a little more air at high rpm as it seems the truck seems to run out of pull right around redline. I usually attribute that airflow restriction, among other things.

I'm a little hesitant on getting an intake just yet as I haven't seen any performance numbers and am a little skeptical with any major gains because the stock intake looks to be designed as a short ram intake already (I just don't see how more power could me made aside from the increase in flow from a better filter).

Flamer Disclaimer: Yes, I know the factory filter filters better than an aftermarket one and there is not a single filter or intake system on the planet that is better than stock. Also, I know I probably won't see a power increase with the filter. Thanks for stopping by though...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get an aftermarket panel air filter to replace the factory one.

My first choice for brands would be True Flow, but from as far as I can tell, they aren't offering one yet. Neither is K&N.

I'm looking for one that will flow a little more air at high rpm as it seems the truck seems to run out of pull right around redline. I usually attribute that airflow restriction, among other things.

I'm a little hesitant on getting an intake just yet as I haven't seen any performance numbers and am a little skeptical with any major gains because the stock intake looks to be designed as a short ram intake already (I just don't see how more power could me made aside from the increase in flow from a better filter).

Flamer Disclaimer: Yes, I know the factory filter filters better than an aftermarket one and there is not a single filter or intake system on the planet that is better than stock. Also, I know I probably won't see a power increase with the filter. Thanks for stopping by though...
You could always get this, the TRD high performance air filter.:tu:

Sparks Toyota

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
OEM Air filiters are hard to beat and i have found none that can!! here in NM we get lotta blowing sand an i change every other oil change 10K miles and they are not too dirty but for the price not too bad!! iget 25% off on parts and it helps, but Toyota media is well built!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Typically when engines have a dropoff in power around the redline, it's due to the intake manifold design rather than the air filter capacity. Longer intake runners are better for torque, but the engine has trouble getting air into the cylinders at high RPM, so horsepower suffers. Shorter intake runners are better for high-RPM power, but low-end torque suffers. So I don't think you'll see any benefits by going with a lower restriction filter.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typically when engines have a dropoff in power around the redline, it's due to the intake manifold design rather than the air filter capacity. Longer intake runners are better for torque, but the engine has trouble getting air into the cylinders at high RPM, so horsepower suffers. Shorter intake runners are better for high-RPM power, but low-end torque suffers. So I don't think you'll see any benefits by going with a lower restriction filter.
That's a fair argument, but with the ACIS system on the 5.7 I don't think this is a huge issue. Especially with a large displacement engine and a low 6000 rpm redline. The filter is the only restriction of airflow at WOT, therefore a better flowing filter does have its benefits.

I don't drive in overly dusty or dirty conditions so the slight decrease in filtration isn't a major issue with me.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always get this, the TRD high performance air filter.:tu:

Sparks Toyota
Thanks for the reply! I'm not so sure about $75 for a filter though! :eek:

I was thinking somewhere in the $30-$50 range. But if that's the only one I may have to reconsider.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just kidding about True Flow not offering one:

They do offer one for the 5.7L engine. I found it at AutoAnything.com for around $40. Auto Accessories, Car Covers, Tonneau Cover, Car Bra, Floor Mats, Seat Covers and Truck Accessories

On True Flow's website they have dyno charts for filters, but when you pull it up it has in big, bold letters, "Filters do not add HP" and the dyno chart is a comparison of stock, true flow, and gauze filters all making identical power on an '01 Tahoe. This isn't acutally suprising to me because the stock intake systems on those Tahoes are so bad that the filter is the least of their worries. Additionally, I'm sure True Flow is trying to push their new intake systems now because they used to rant about how much more air their panel filter flowed.

The Tundra on the other hand has an excellent stock design with the paper OEM filter providing restriction, so I will probably buy the True Flow and wait to see numbers on intakes. At the very least I'll get as good or better filtration from the True Flow foam filters for now...

·
Banned
888 Posts
Until someone gets around the ECM,theres not a filter made that will add more fuel to the mix.
Believe it or not(you really should) your current 5.7 "CANT USE" all the air its getting now ....:cry:
The point in investing $$$ for more air is what ?

You people buying those TRD airboxs are getting hosed to no end.Thats alot of money for that fancy red logo dont ya think ?:td:

BTW ...... How does "foam" achieve better micron fitration then paper media ?Hasnt happened and most likely never will :rolleyes:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I'm not so sure about $75 for a filter though! :eek:

I was thinking somewhere in the $30-$50 range. But if that's the only one I may have to reconsider.
I just installed the TRD air filter and love it! It was a perfect fit and goes well with my TRD dual exhaust. I know its expensive, but its TRD and is quality stuff.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Until someone gets around the ECM,theres not a filter made that will add more fuel to the mix.
Believe it or not(you really should) your current 5.7 "CANT USE" all the air its getting now ....:cry:

You people buying those TRD airboxs are getting hosed to no end.Thats alot of money for that fancy red logo dont ya think ?:td:

BTW ...... How does "foam" achieve better micron fitration then paper media ?Hasnt happened and most likely never will :rolleyes:
Your whole post highlights your ignorance on the subject. Go back to my first post and read the disclaimer please.

I wasn't looking for posts like this when I started the thread, and I'm not sure why you think you can magically change my mind about the subject, which I have sufficient knowledge in. I have a couterpoint for every one of your ignorant remarks, but I don't have time to educate people.

Bottom line is, if the engine can breathe better it makes more power.

By the way, you really should quit acting like you know so much about trucks and ruining everyone's threads with all of your almighty posts :rolleyes:

Update: I just bought the True Flow filter. If anyone else wants to know about it I'll be happy to share it in this thread which isn't entitled: Filters; how they don't work and why not to buy them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

THUNDERA: Don't waste your breathe, his posts are always like this.

Keep us updated on how you like the filter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keep us posted on your thoughts and experiance with the filter :tu:

·
Registered
440 Posts
bump to that, i ordered my reg. cab with trd cai and trd duals and want to hear other's experiences w the same or w different filters, does the true flw give you slightly more power at higher rpms?

·
Registered
71 Posts
AFE filter gained 4 whp in the mid to upper rpms on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Man, you guys crack me up...you're probably not aware but you're providing quite a bit of amusement to the 1st-gen forum.

If you're not inviting dissention, don't post flamebait. If you think you're familiar with your truck, post the tech, not what you're pretty sure is the tech. It will help all of you understand your equipment better. Pony up for a day on the dyno, it's more worth your time than arguing on the internet.

-Sean

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a dyno and post my results :ts:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was just playing. Here is a dyno with the drop in filter vs without.

Attachments

·
Banned
888 Posts
Whats 4 hp ?
5-10 mph crosswind will eat that and then some.
So again you spend $$$ and break even ........:confused:

I dont think ya'll are understanding what a performance increase is .?
We have two sets of drums here,ya'll are more then welcome to come and show us how you get hp from filter set ups to the ground.
We used "panty-hose" as a media filter over the airbox lid (OEM filter removed)on my 5.7 Tundra and made 5 pulls.

ZERO HP GAINS TO THE DRUMS !
Sounded cool,but didn't make any ponies:eek:
Like I stated above ....the motor cant use the air volume its already getting so there are no gains to be had in the Aspiration Dept without tuning..

:cry:

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, you guys crack me up...you're probably not aware but you're providing quite a bit of amusement to the 1st-gen forum.

If you're not inviting dissention, don't post flamebait. If you think you're familiar with your truck, post the tech, not what you're pretty sure is the tech. It will help all of you understand your equipment better. Pony up for a day on the dyno, it's more worth your time than arguing on the internet.

-Sean
Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but...

I wasn't inviting dissention by starting a thread about air filters :confused:. It's very clear to me that this is a sticking point not just on this forum but on others (I had plenty arguments similar to this on T4R.org when I owned my 4Runner). Everyone has their views on filters and intakes, I was simply looking for the ones who have positive experiences and want to share their knowledge (Like AddictiveRacing).

Additionally, I'm not going to waste $50 and dyno with just a drop in filter. I know they don't make much power, so there is no point. I just want something a little better than stock...

And speaking of Tech, I turned my '05 4Runner from 212 WHP into 240 WHP by adding intake, exhaust, and then tuning on a dyno while documenting each mod's incremental power gain so I know a little bit about the process, and even though I don't own a dyno, I plan on doing the same to the Tundra all the way up through when I eventually supercharge. If people want to read about my experiences fine, but I'm of the belief; If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all. I think you can agree:tu:

So, on to the filters...:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts