Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Aftermarket CV axle angles?

Tags
cv axle
15K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tundrainorange 
#1 ·
Once again, let me start by saying thanks to all you guys who are willing to share your knowledge and experience with us newbs.

I recently saw that DevinSixtySeven said that aftermarket cv axle joints "don't angle as far as the OEM inner joints". I just bought 2 new CV drive axle shafts from MAC auto parts and I am now wondering if that was a poor choice as I am about to put a 2 to 2.5" suspension lift on my truck.

Can anyone elaborate on this angle issue?

#3 ·
It's the angle of the CV boots that end up causing the boot to split. The CV shaft should be ok with the lift. Plus there isn't any readily available aftermarket CV axle shafts for the 1st gen tundras. Unless, you want to spend a lot of money. I had no issues with the CV boots or the shafts. However, some have had issues with boots splitting. The alternative is aftermarket boots, do a search, you should find some info on it.

#4 ·
If your joints aren't bad and you can just get a better boot you are much better off. Most "new' axles are made in China or other foreign suppliers and may not be up to Toyota specs.
Mike

#5 ·
Tundrenalin on this site has a pic of some Porshe 930 boots he got, when you see them compaired to the stock boots it becomes a no brainer. Although, I dont know what exaclty is invloved in switching them out, doesnt seem it would be quick and easy.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. The last question I have is this - Does anyone have any specific information about a difference in aftermarket CV angles? I'm definitely doing the 930 boot mod. I was just thinking of doing it on the aftermarket cv half shafts and then putting them on when I do the suspension lift.

Will I truly be sacrificing quality by changing out the cv half shafts or is it more of a chinese/japanese argument? Wish they were made here.

#7 ·
This is what i did with my axles the first time i split both boots. I figured if I was going to spend the money to have this done, i might as well go alittle further.

No you don't have to do this step, but i have had no issues with my front drivetrain at all, even with my longtravel...trust me I've put to the test.

I know the project is using a tacoma, but they are using and moding a tundra drive shaft. There is also alot more info on cv's and axles themselves on here.

Off Road Solutions Tundra CV Axles | Trails Less Traveled

#8 ·
TundraInOrange - Thanks for sharing that article. Very enlightening.

I do have a question about that article. The pic of the tundra cv axle looks different from the ones I ordered.

I've attached both pictures.

It's looks as though the current Tundra CV axles don't have that smaller flange that needs to be cut off.

I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with the questions.

Attachments

#9 ·
Will I truly be sacrificing quality by changing out the cv half shafts or is it more of a chinese/japanese argument? Wish they were made here.
Yes! If you have aftermarket that are made in China, there is a definate quality difference. It's not a chinese/japanese argument, the Chinese steel just isn't of the same quality. Toyota's focus is on quality, Chinese focus is on quantity.

#10 ·
TundraInOrange - Thanks for sharing that article. Very enlightening.

I do have a question about that article. The pic of the tundra cv axle looks different from the ones I ordered.

I've attached both pictures.

It's looks as though the current Tundra CV axles don't have that smaller flange that needs to be cut off.

I feel like I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with the questions.
Its hard to tell with the boots on. If your new axles don't have that stepdown inner sleeve, than even better, less work for you.

Just make sure you put on the 930 boots on the inners & ORS or similar boots on the outters. Since the 930 boots are going to be a tad bigger than the hub on the cv, I went ahead and also put some heavyduty silicone on the lip & used the clamp.

I have jumped my truck, hits whoops at 40-50mph and lots of other stuff and still have not had a prob. I might of went overkill with the whole thing, but i never wanted to have to mess with the cv's again:tu:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.