Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a few searches, but I was not really able to find anything conclusive to answer my question. Does anyone make an aftermarket replacement shock/strut that will bolt in and work properly on a 2006 Sequoia Limited with the rear air bag suspension? Mine has 240K on the OEM struts, so it is time to replace them. I have done a few searches, and all of the shocks I see listed for this vehicle specifically say that they will not work on vehicles equipped with the rear air suspension. I can't for the life of me understand why having air bags in the rear would have anything at all to do with the front shocks. I assume it has to do with dampening, but again I would understand if we were talking about the rear shocks and not the fronts.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I stuck with having to bend over for the dealer OEM items? At this point I would just be happy with something that will bolt on in place of the worn out ones and work halfway decent - anything has to be better than what is on there now. When I hit a bump or expansion joint, I can just feel the front wheels continuing to bounce around.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yes, there are lots of options. It does not matter that you have the air suspension if you only need front struts. If you need the rears, that is a different story.
I have an '05 with air suspension and I am using Bilstein height adjustable struts.
model # 24-261425 is what you want for the height adjustable Bilstein B8 5100 struts. If you do not plan to lift your front, then use 24-276061. The B6 4600's are a good shock as well - 24-241656.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! No plans to lift it. From what I have seen on other threads, some are using the Rancho RS999208's on the rear, even though it says that they won't work with air suspension. I guess since they are adjustable you can find a setting that will have the right dampening. Rears are probably in the near future as well.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks! No plans to lift it. From what I have seen on other threads, some are using the Rancho RS999208's on the rear, even though it says that they won't work with air suspension. I guess since they are adjustable you can find a setting that will have the right dampening. Rears are probably in the near future as well.
Yes, I put the Rancho's on the rear with air suspension.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, I procrastinated again, and now I may have to take a trip this weekend of about 600 miles. Is this something that can be reasonably accomplished in an evening? I have access to Snap-On air tools, compressor, etc.

Might have to settle for whatever struts my local parts houses have in stock. Is there anything decent that can be found in the local Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it worth it to go with the "loaded" strut assemblies to save some time? Or am I better off keeping the OEM spring, even with 240K on it?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
The only loaded struts I've seen provide lift, not stock height. You can do the job in a few hours if you know what you are doing and have the tools (spring compressor is a must). I would not attempt the night before your trip. Murphy's law usually applies in these situations. Also, you don't want to just settle for what the local parts store has just because you are in a time crunch. Plan ahead and get the struts you want since they will be longer term than just the one trip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went ahead and got the Bilsteins. Going to put them on this afternoon when I get home from work. I'm not usually one for making a repair so close to going on a trip, but the ones on it are completely shot - left a puddle of oil in the driveway - so I don''t want to risk driving that far with them like that. Hopefully it won't put up too much of a fight. If I have problems I will just punt and take the other car. My daughters will just have to pack lighter! (Yah, I know, good luck with that! :) )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you nailed it. Murphy's Law in full effect. First hint was when I went to loosen stabilizer link bolt and it promptly snapped off. It was ready to let go anyway, so not too upset. But then when I got the strut assembly out and tried to use the Autozone rental spring compressor, it #1) would not fit between the coils to compress the whole spring, and #2) wasn't up to the task of the heavy duty springs on these things. It started to flex, and I was afraid I would end up ruining the tool and end up owning it. So I hung it up for the night. Might have to find a mechanic who can assemble the springs to the new struts. Has anyone else encountered this issue? This job looked like it would be relatively easy. Should have known better!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I bought a cheap set of spring compressors on ebay and they seemed to work fine. Not the best built things, but they did the job. It probably helped my front end was already lifted. I was replacing an older set of bilsteins.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to go to a truck repair shop that had a bigger spring compressor to install the springs onto the struts. Even with the right equipment, it was a bit of a struggle for him - the rubber bushings were so thick that he could not get the top nut to catch on the threads. Had to take a saw and cut them down slightly. Got them installed, and wow, what a difference! I couldn't imagine driving that truck all that way bouncing around like it was before.

Helpful hint to anyone taking this on - go ahead and plan on buying a new set of end links for the stabilizer bar. You will have to remove this to get the control arm to drop down far enough to remove/install the struts, and better than half the time it will be corroded to the point where it just snaps off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts