Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the factory JBL head unit in my 2007 Sequoia with an aftermarket Jensen VX7020. I purchased the TYTO Wiring Harness which made the install fairly straight-forward. Everything is working great but the speakers have serious distortion when the volume increases. The volume is just loud enough to hear the radio over the road noise when traveling at highway speeds, and the distortion begins. I did not have any distortion with the factory head unit. I double checked all my wiring connections and it all looks right to me. I specifically checked the speaker and the amp connections. Does anyone have a guess what is causing the distortion. I have two guesses:

1. the speakers are not tuned for the Jensen head unit, or
  2. the amp is not working
Any other ideas what is wrong and how I should fix? Do I need to buy new speakers or should I buy a different head unit?

Thanks for the help.

Tim

·
Registered
458 Posts
Which audio source on the HU produces the distortion? Does it sound distorted when you have the audio settings set at flat (no EQ, no loudness, etc) and you're tuned into a decent FM station?

Did you purchase the correct TYTO unit? There may be different ones depending on if you have the JBL amp or not.

When you connected the HU output to TYTO interface, did you use the speaker audio out connections or the RCA audio out connections?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Did you set the JBL head unit to mid volume before removing? If it was down really far you may have you amps maxed with little actual sound output.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XPLORx4 --
FM, CD, USB - each source creates same distortion. I have the TYTO01 unit which is for the JBL with Amp. There is a blue wire that I connected using a twist type electrical connector from the TYTO wiring harness to a blue wire coming out of the HU. According to the wiring harness instructions this is the correct connection. There is an RCA connector for the speakers and the AMP on the HU. The wiring harness had the RCA connector for the speakers but not the AMP. I used RCA connectors for the speakers, and then had to connect the wires for the AMP. Does this sound right?

pkt1213
This is a good idea and I tried this change right after I checked the connections. The factory unit is a JBL head unit and the aftermarket that I installed is a Jensen. The TYTO-01 wiring harness contol unit has a volume control. I played with this setting changing from low to mid to high without fixing the problem.

Should I suspect the speakers, the head unit, the wiring unit, the amp? What is most likely causing the problem?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
458 Posts
XPLORx4 --
FM, CD, USB - each source creates same distortion. I have the TYTO01 unit which is for the JBL with Amp. There is a blue wire that I connected using a twist type electrical connector from the TYTO wiring harness to a blue wire coming out of the HU. According to the wiring harness instructions this is the correct connection. There is an RCA connector for the speakers and the AMP on the HU. The wiring harness had the RCA connector for the speakers but not the AMP. I used RCA connectors for the speakers, and then had to connect the wires for the AMP. Does this sound right?
From reading the installation guide for the TYTO01, you should be connecting the FR/FL/RR/RL RCA outputs from your HU to the RCA connections on the adapter, and the blue wire on your HU to the white/blue wire on the adapter. I am not sure what you mean by "There is an RCA connector for the speakers and the AMP on the HU."

I don't see AMP connections for audio on the HU.

In any case, if you are connecting the RCA FR/FL/RR/RL outputs on your HU to the adapter, you should NOT also attach the white/grey/green/purple wires from the HU to the adapter. Use either RCA or speaker line-level outputs, not both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greetings,

I just did an aftermarket radio install in my 06 Sequoia w/JBL. You need to adjust the pot on the black box to match the output of the new radio. My was all kinds of distorted until I adjusted that trim pot.

BTW this is my first post here as I just bought my first Toyota Truck! (Sequoia)

Hope this helps!!

Ryan

·
Registered
25 Posts
I 2nd 650Pilot...you need to adjust the gain on the black amp interface module before putting everything back into the dash. I was able to turn my Loudness control off and the gains on my aftermarket headunit down once I turned the gain on the interface up. I can blast out my tunes now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. Wondering if thetimster every found a solution to this problem?

I'm having the exact same problem. 06 Sequoia SR5 with JBL system. Removed factory HU and replaced with JVC Arsenal KD-AR959BS, Axxess TYTO-01 Wiring Interface, and PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter. Pretty severe distortion above 50-60% volume (when I turn it up to hear above road noise).

Didn't know about setting original JBL HU volume/fade/balance prior to removal (which, as I understand it, is to "configure" the JBL AMP), so reinstalled JBL HU and set them. Then, put JVC back in. Distortion still present.

Also tried adjusting input gain on the TYTO-01. Up, down, mid. Distortion still present at higher HU volumes regardless of TYTO-01 inout gain setting.

Thinking it was a problem with the JVC HU, swapped it out for a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X599. Distortion still present at higher volumes.

So, any luck thetimster? Also, not 100% sure about procedure for "setting" the factory JBL AMP via the JBL HU prior to removal. Have heard differing sets of instructions. Some say set to 50% volume, some say 100%. Some say set volume and, with HU still powered up, pull the connector from the back of the HU to set the amp. Does anybody have a definitive procedure for accomplishing this?

Any suggestions, thoughts, direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had to adjust the gain a bit before it work right.
Also got the jensen, but the vx7022. GPS on it sucks! I would get "GPS signal lost" randomly through out the day. And I'm not going under bridges or in a big city. I'm on the outskirts of LA County and mostly open sky.

Other functions work great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try the Metra 70-8113.

I have an 03 with the JBL system and I couldn't get the TYTO interface to work. It was loud regardless of the trim pot's setting and had engine grounding interference.

Use the RCA adapters from the AMP outs on the Jensen head unit. I believe the TYTO interface is made for head units that only have the powered speaker outputs. I did it a while ago so it's sort of fading from my memory but the Metra adapter worked flawlessly with the exception on the of the "amp on" connection from the head unit. I remember having to splice the amp wire directory out of the toyota harness and connect it to the antenna power from the head unit. I'm not completely sure that's what I did but there's a lot of threads about it here. Also make sure your speaker surrounds aren't torn which is a common issue with the JBL sequoias.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had to repair my speaker foam and buy the PAC for my Kenwood Excelon install. Can't just buy new speakers, basically have to fix them..

PAC was nice because I don't touch the radio and can use the steering wheel controls to do everything, aside from my phone. MY question is though, is anyone having a problem w that PAC interface? It wasn't cheap and now about 20% of the time I have to pull over and turn my car off and back on to have the PAC turn on the AMP so that music will play. Everything on the head unit will function but the amp seems to be off sometimes.

Crutchfield doesn't know a thing about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I 2nd 650Pilot...you need to adjust the gain on the black amp interface module before putting everything back into the dash. I was able to turn my Loudness control off and the gains on my aftermarket headunit down once I turned the gain on the interface up. I can blast out my tunes now.
What exactly did you do? I’m having bad distortion when volume is above 60%. I’ve adjusted the factory amp and adjusted the TYTO box. Still can’t get rid of distortion. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
1st gen Sequoias are known for the foam around the door speakers to decay and cause them to buzz. I had mine replaced with compatible ones when I got my new audio system installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
2003_Sequoia
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing