Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I got my 03 AC not too long ago, and I had to put on a new cover on the instrument cluster (it was scratched badly). Well, I cleaned around the gauges (they were extremely dusty) and I accidentally moved the oil pressure needle a little too far and it is reading weird (whoops). It seems to be fine at high rpms, but it won't go down after it's shut off. I don't really trust it anymore, and I'm not sure I want to get a new cluster. I was wondering if there was a way to install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge? I'm not even sure what psi range these gauges are at, or how to install one, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Matt

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are how to's all over the web for installing the gauge. The catch with the oil pressure gauge is that you have to find someplace to mount the sensor(preferably in the oil loop, not outside), then run the electronics back into the cab. Not a huge issue, but aftermarket gauge pillar mounts leave a bit to be desired with the tundra IMO. May be easier to try to reset the cover and or purchase another gauge cluster setup and remove the gauge from the new one and re-install into yours. Kinda up to you there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm now leaning towards a new cluster, at car-part.com I found a few with a little more miles on them for around 60 bucks. That's probably the best solution. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge in my truck. I went to autozone like two years ago, and got the three gauges that come in the little mount for them. Volt, water temp, and oil pressure. There mech. gauges though. I been using them for over a year now and they work perfectly fine. I did have to order a longer hose for the oil pressure though, as I didnt want to hook to hoses together right over my headers. To much of a risk of something happening. Im using my water temp. gauge as my trans temp gauge, which works perfect. I hooked the gauge up where the stock sender goes. I did have to order a BSP fitting to a NPT fitting. As the gauges are NPT fittings. I even have a low pressure gauge on my dash, so if I ever drop below 20 psi the light will come on, so I dont have to look at the gauge all the time. Got that from jegs, and the sender. I have a tee fitting by the oil filter one goes to gauge other one goes to light on dash.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I figured I would go ahead and post some pics on what I did, just for anyone who wants to see them. I didnt know I had an oil leak at my oil fitting until today I went to take the pic. You allways find something new when you look under your truck:D

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for the pics and info, I might do that. I'm thinking of putting all leds in the interior and removing the clock. With a little fabrication I might put the gauge in the clock spot. Haha a "little" fabrication might be a head ache, but we'll see. If I do it I'll post pics.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No Problem man. Yeah I was thinking about putting them somewhere else before they went there. But I just don't like fab. that much into something that's not broke already. Like you said headaches lol I used to have them underneath my radio. I put in a aftermarket stereo and it had that little cubby underneath of the stereo. It looked really good. They weren't in that mount though, I got real thin wood and sanded it and sprayed it black. The only reason there not there now is, because I just couldn't trust an oil line with 80 psi behind there like that, especially with a $300 dollar radio, even after trusting it like that for a year. I rather have the oil go all over my boots, and floor mat then in the dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts