Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether or not I want to get XM receiver and interface for the navigation installed for $450, or to wait and buy it and have it installed aftermarket. Does anyone have any info on where I could find prices for the XM module, and what installation is like? :tu:

·
Registered
500 Posts
XM universal receiver and adapter, XMDTLK, at Crutchfields $249. One on eBay right now for $169.00. Easy install for DIY.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XM universal receiver and adapter, XMDTLK, at Crutchfields $249. One on eBay right now for $169.00. Easy install for DIY.
Thanks for the info. Does DIY require pulling the head unit from the dash?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Should work with any Toyota/Lexus/Scion factory HU/Nav system. You'll have to pull the system out of the dash. Looks very cumbersome at first, but check out the instructions with the attached .PDF. You can have it out in 10 minutes. 1 screw. 4 bolts. I first tried without the instructions, didn't even know where to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at Step 4, Figure C in the PDF and I don't want to force the removal of the climate control and switches and I don't see how it comes out other than the arrows pointing down. Any advice would be much appreciated to this first time Tundra Owner. (2 Weeks old, 1400 miles. Hit the ground running)

·
Registered
338 Posts
The dealer had an aftermarket shop install my XM reciever today.The installer had already done many '07s and said it would not work with the JBL or NAV units, but is the same one installed by the factory. But it could work with some other aftermarket XM ready headunits.

It does work very well, no static, hiss, distortion, great sound quality, and all built in XM controls are good. I would be wary of some of the aftermarket especially ones using FM modulation, as they may not perform as well as the OEM.

Price was 430.00 installed, which my dealer split the cost with me. I do like the new sterio (panasonic?) and speakers w/ the 6 CD changer that came with the truck, much better than any non premium i've had in a toyota. I didnt think the JBL was worth the extra 1k, and was considering putting my Alpine xm head unit/system I had in my '04 in, but decided I like the original, especially with the XM.

Does seem Toyota is gouging people, especially the ones ponying up for the premium sound and nav additional 400-700 (if the dealer does it) to upgrade to XM. I was originally told by my dealer all it needed was an antanae to recieve XM, right!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey Jefferson.Andrew. I sent you a PM about your concerns with taking of the climate controls. The figure is a little misleading. More info in PM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts