Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point do you think age trumps mileage in regards to maintenance? I have an 2006 with only 18K on it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
wow, my dad's 06 dc is almost similar to urs, it jus hit 20k the other day, but he takes it for oil change every 5 months or so

im guessin u must have a primary vehicle n not drive ur tundra that much, cuz my dad really only drives his truck when he goes on long fishin trips

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Check the tires for cracking. My wife has a 10 year old Trooper with 50K on it. Tires can dry rot without regular use. Battery can also go on its own.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
i guess an on topic question is would you hesitate to buy a model year 2000 with relatively low miles (71k) knowing its still a 10 year old truck, regardless of make?

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
^^I wouldn't... But it would have to be a Toyota only.. :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
At what point do you think age trumps mileage in regards to maintenance? I have an 2006 with only 18K on it.

we bought a 97 avalon back in 06 with 126k miles. i've replaced the starter and the steering rack (steering rack problems were common for the 97's) now she has 234k miles and runs like a top! as long as the vehicle has been well cared for, being 10 years old is not as big of an issue as it would have been 20 years ago.

your truck is only 4 years old. at the rate you're going you'll only have 45k miles when it's 10 years old. if you want to sell it then, i'll buy it from you! as spencer says, the tires are what i would be paying attention to. even if your tires have good tread on them after 5 years, it would be wise to inspect and probably replace them if they are starting to crack on the side walls. also keep an eye on your belts and run your a/c year round. and i'd appreciate it if you'd keep her waxed a couple times per year and park her inside. :D

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Pretty much anything rubber (belts, tires, boots, ect.) will need to be checked and/or replaced. Our 62 year old Willy's runs just fine with the original flat head; a little maintainence and your truck will outlast you!!:)

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
If its driven twice a years only i'd think about moisture condensation in the engine and developing rust. I know for sure that it will rust unless its winterized or driven to full warm up (at least 20 miles). Depends on the area you live in two :) My friends dirtbikes engine had rust in the cylinder after sitting for half a year.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
I go by mileage only except for oil. We haven't taken many longer trips for several years so I try to change oil more often since short trips probably aren't good for oil. We have a 96 Acura that still has its original belts and hoses after less than 90k. If I were to take a cross country trip in it, I'd change em for safety's sake. Nothing changed on the Tundra except for the crappy Bridgestone tires (23k).

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
i guess an on topic question is would you hesitate to buy a model year 2000 with relatively low miles (71k) knowing its still a 10 year old truck, regardless of make?
Good point. My 2000 has 23K right now and I think it shows well and someone would buy based on my records if I wanted to sell. It is a Toyota and has better care than most do to themselves.

Pretty much anything rubber (belts, tires, boots, ect.) will need to be checked and/or replaced. Our 62 year old Willy's runs just fine with the original flat head; a little maintainence and your truck will outlast you!!:)
Agreed. There is a reason some of the old toys (all brands) still run and look great. Good maintenance cures all.

I go by mileage only except for oil.
I just changed all rear/front diff and tranny fluid again. I cannot go by mileage and I
feel better knowing all fluids are good and clean. I change oil at 500 miles, but, it does last at least a year or more. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts