Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hypothetically let's say there's a 2008 with 80,000 miles and a 2013 with 140,000 - same condition, same package/options, and both priced at $17,000. Which one is going to be a better value and less trouble over 10 years/125,000 miles.

Little about myself: First time poster here and looking to get my first (used) Tundra. Biggest priority to me is reliability... nothing worse than spending time and money on vehicle repairs! Reliability and confidence is what has led me down the Tundra rabbit hole. The truck will be my daily driver and also used on fishing/hunting/camping trips pulling a relatively light boat or trailer. I'll put on 10,000 - 15,000 miles per year mix of highway and in town driving, so pretty average for a DD. I'd like to keep the truck for at least 10 years.

Price range is $15,000-$20,000 (lower is better) and I'm set on a 2nd gen DC (gotta have that 6.5') with 5.7 and 4WD. I'm in no rush to buy so plenty of time to find the right truck/deal, but for equal condition/price do I go with an older truck with low miles or a newer truck with high miles?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Could go either way. Rubber degrades over time, not necessarily miles, rust is also a time not miles thing. Do they salt the roads where you are? If yes, I would look at newer with higher miles first.
Higher miles means more of the wear items should fail sooner, and in theory, should cost you more. If it were me I would get the lower miles truck as long as it was clean.

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,275 Posts
Inspect thoroughly, put the truck(s) you are looking at up on a lift and inspect the underside with a flashlight. Pull a Carfax report, and check the service record on Toyota's web site. Rust is enemy #1, poor maintenance is enemy #2, sellers attempting to hide damage is enemy #3. Try to buy from a private owner, buying from the 1st or 2nd owner is best.

Mileage is less of a concern with the 5.7L - I purchased my rust free 2007 cheap two years ago when it had 270,000 miles, it is my daily driver and now has 290K . The only surprise repair was the fuel pump during the first month of ownership, everything else has been maintenance & modification related.

My 2007 Tundra

·
Banned
4 Posts
This forum has a lot of interesting facts about cars. I don't have much information regarding cars so I would like to ask if anyone could suggest me a good family car which provides good mileage. My friend was searching for some cool biology research topics and I suggested he should check out http://studyclerk.com/blog/biology-research-topics as I had used their services before and really liked them. My friend also got the topic he was looking for and thanked me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ask for as many maintenance records as possible. The timing belt / water pump replacement is a recurring adventure. Some say every 80k, others 100k and then there are the real risk takers. If you do it yourself, less than $200. Having it done $800-???.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts