Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you havent tossed your stock Tundra speakers I think you should. What a different experience to actually have something decent.

I didnt go all out and just went to BestBuy for my system. Got all 4 doors in Alpine with a Alpine amp and it sounds great. The 6x9 door speakers kick out just enough bass for good listening but nothing that will shake the car next to you.

The stock speakers had to be cut out to utilize some moutning plate or something they said. I got to look at the stock speakers and they are worse then crap. The magnet was the size of a quarter at best and the material was liek construction paper.

Anyway now I can enjoy my Tundra even more then before. Only problem is deciding between hearing the 5.7L with TRD CAI or the new speakers. :D

FYI With a XM portable unit and all the above mentioned installed it was at $800, for those that are curious.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am using the stock head unit. Just the 4 speakers, amp, and wiring kits. Why have a new head unit to play CDs when you can just plug your Ipod in and have quality sound.

The speakers/amp are these:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - MRP-F300
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SPS-609
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - SPS-600

The BestBuy kid just kept applying discounts so I got the speakers for $50 off and the same goes for all the other stuff. It really is a nice sound but doesnt break the bank nor win any contests. Just nice good sound and even better then the Mazda I had with the Bose system from the factory.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
My brother just bought a Ram (yeah, I know). That aside, his sound system is Alpine and is simply top notch far above and beyond our JBL system. We flatout got robbed by this JBL crap. His interior is far above and beyond our plastic crap.

Understand I say crap, but would still pick the Tundra over the others because of all the other reasons. These are the only 2 areas in which I believe Toyota didn't do what they should have done for trucks that cost this much.

:focus:Alpine rocks as it did when I had 6X9 Alpines that hit like subs in my 1981 bonneville about 16 years ago. Thanks for this thread because I have been looking to get rid of the crap and put something worthwhile in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah those 6x9's hit pretty darn good. They tuned the amp and all but I used the head units settings to fade 2 levels to the rear. This calmed down the 6x9's enough and evened the sound out. Those speakers produce some great bass for not being a true sub. The other great thing is they produce highs so there is just great sound in the front cab now. What ever was in there from Toyota was pretty bad and when I had to skip past songs it couldnt handle I wasnt happy.

FYI BestBuy tech are masters and making the install look OEM so they hid the excess wires under my center arm rest. The problem was that the bundle of wires was very close to the shifter and picking up feedback. You could hear a very high pitch buzzing even with the system off when the engine was on. They figured out they had to move the wires a bit over next to something plastic and now its much better. If you stick your ear to the speaker you can hear something but its nothing like it was and not heard when more then 3 inches away from the speaker.

Just remember that so if you guys get the same thing just re route the wires away from metal.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
My brother just bought a Ram (yeah, I know). That aside, his sound system is Alpine and is simply top notch far above and beyond our JBL system. We flatout got robbed by this JBL crap. His interior is far above and beyond our plastic crap.

Understand I say crap, but would still pick the Tundra over the others because of all the other reasons. These are the only 2 areas in which I believe Toyota didn't do what they should have done for trucks that cost this much.

:focus:Alpine rocks as it did when I had 6X9 Alpines that hit like subs in my 1981 bonneville about 16 years ago. Thanks for this thread because I have been looking to get rid of the crap and put something worthwhile in.
Man if you think the JBL sounds terrible then you should be glad you got it over the non-jbl because it is the worst! I have replaced the head unit and it helped but i'm Going to replace the 6 speakers too.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I agree with the benefits of getting your main speakers to make the bass, as opposed to using subs. No question for maximum slam you need subs with the requisite box/amps/crossovers etc, but I always felt the sub bass seemed "separated" from the rest of the sound, compared to bass from the main speakers alone. IMO if you favor SQ and don't need to shake the sheet metal, using only main speakers can do a surprising job. :tu:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You dont need to replace the tweeters in the dash. I was told to leave those and it sounds fine. The 6x9's produce mids and highs as well so it just compliments them even more.

I like the sound and its not the best but certainly better then anything I have had in a while. The only issue is that XM doesnt produce CD quality bass so I miss hearing how good the system actually is. On the other hand before the system I had the volume to max with the XM unit and could barely hear it with the windows down so it was necessary to get an amp.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why have a new head unit to play CDs when you can just plug your Ipod in and have quality sound.
Keep in mind that if you don't have the IPOD connected via an IPOD or USB cable then you are not getting digital sound. If you are using the headphone jack from the IPOD you are getting less than CD quality sound. The difference is again comparable to the factory speakers vs. aftermarket. So if you thought the there was a big difference with your new gear then wait till you get a new head unit with IPOD capabilities.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I saw this thread and was very interested in doing this. I went to Best Buy and the young tech told me I would not be able to do an upgrade like this without having some other component, which I would only be able to get online. He said it is very expensive and that most audio places don't even carry it because they don't sell. If I wanted to change out the stock head unit; he said they could do it no problem. So what is so different from the aftermarket system that would make it such an easy swap? Or was he just blowing smoke out is a55 trying to make a higher sale. BTW I have the standard 6 disc system. Brian1911 was there anything else they had to change that you didn't mention, or do you have the upgraded head unit from Toyota? I would really like to do something like this without putting in a whole new system. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I am along a similar line as I have navigation unit and don't want to swap it out. I have been looking at some Alpine speakers, Rockford amp, and not sure about what type of 10" sub yet.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Changing out speakers is just a matter of cutting and splicing wires, unless you get a plug in adaptor that fits your car. You can add an amp to your factory radio with a line out converter. This takes the signal to your speaker wires and converts it to an RCA output. The RCA outputs are what you use to get your audio signal to the amp. The signal quality won't be as good as RCA preouts from an aftermarket radio, but it will still be an improvement over stock if you get a quality amp and speakers.

Your guy at Best Buy probably just didn't want to deal with the install. They get paid by the hour, not on commission. They get paid the same whether they do 10 installs a day or 1. Sounds like he was blowing smoke up your skirt.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sounds like they have the amp power wire and the amp rca signal wires too close together, thats a no, no in wiring a stereo amp, you must have amp rca signal wires and power wire to amp on opposite sides of vehicle when you wire any kind of amps or it will have interference, I have my power wires running up door channel on drivers side and rca signal wires running up passenger side door channel.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Is there a thread that tells you which speakers can fit in the doors?
Stock speakers are 6x9 in the fronts and 6 1/2" in the rears. Most of us are putting 6 1/2" components up front by making MDF adapter plates, you can also buy the Scosche plastic adapters. You'll need to make an adapter ring at least out of 3/4" MDF so the magnet on the new aftermarket speakers will clear the window track. I used 3/4" as a base plate then a 1/2" mounting ring on top of that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you havent tossed your stock Tundra speakers I think you should. What a different experience to actually have something decent.

I didnt go all out and just went to BestBuy for my system. Got all 4 doors in Alpine with a Alpine amp and it sounds great. The 6x9 door speakers kick out just enough bass for good listening but nothing that will shake the car next to you.

The stock speakers had to be cut out to utilize some moutning plate or something they said. I got to look at the stock speakers and they are worse then crap. The magnet was the size of a quarter at best and the material was liek construction paper.

Anyway now I can enjoy my Tundra even more then before. Only problem is deciding between hearing the 5.7L with TRD CAI or the new speakers. :D

FYI With a XM portable unit and all the above mentioned installed it was at $800, for those that are curious.
Did you have to do any cutting to get those 6x9 to fit? I know there is 6x9 in there but Crutchfield is only showing 6 1/2 for the front ...at least for my 2010 DBL. Also did you have the JBL system or the stock sys?

·
Registered
340 Posts
FYI...the stock had unit it made by Panasonic, hard to believe they would make such a piece of crap!

You should try changing out the head unit, that will really make a difference and it isnt hard to do. I installed some Alpine speakers, amp and Pioneer hu, just undecided about the sub placement.

As for the Dodge using Alpine in their new trucks i am curious how well it sounds. I drove mopar for 15 years, but the cummins engine and ALpine sound could get me back if only they could put those two items in a different body.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The non JBL vs the JBL is not that much. The JBL has more bass, but I think it sounds less balanced than the non. Both systems have crap staging, and overall tonal quality is lacking, but I actually like the non JBL better because of the more balanced sound (balanced between the lows, mids, and highs). Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to ditch the whole system for good quality stuff, but that won't be until after the honeymoon. The JBL is NOT worth the extra money - save the hundreds of dollars in difference, and upgrade the lesser stereo.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Also, it's interesting the stock is made by Panasonic. It is a 'piece of crap' becasue they made it to a spec set by toyota, and made it to fit in a budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought my 06 Tundra a couple of weeks ago, and coming out of a BMW-X3 the first thing I noticed was the sound was lacking in the Tundra. I don't know what it is but its like having cotton in your ears and the tuner not pulling in the stations clearly? My first thought was Alpine, I've owned two other alpine systems and they have always been top shelf. I let Best buy put a CD changer in my daughters Monte Pace Car and they did a great job. so thats is my first upgrade too. Do any have the Tweets in the door? did you replace them too?----Brew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts