Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Just got rear ended on the way to work!!! :mad:

As far as I can tell, there isn't any damage, but FRACK! I've barely got over 20k miles on the truck.

Ruined her day however... she hit me in a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Her front bumper was all messed up.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
That sucks. Look at it good, there always seems to be somethin that goes un-noticed until you get it home. Did you have your trailer ball on? Seems like people dont ride my A** so much with it on.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Couple weeks ago I came out of store and walked to my truck that was parked away from nearly everyone. I had pulled through a spot so I was facing out. Walk up to my truck to find half by bumper completely smashed in. Smashed up against the hitch receiver, buckled up. Tailgate can't open. One sonar sensor trashed. $1300. And I was leaving for Cabo San Lucas on vacation then next day. They must have whipped into the parking spot too fast, overshot and their left corner plowed into that BIG *** truck they couldn't see in front of them. Of course they left without leaving a note. 4000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No trailer ball installed. I'd be towing her if that was the case.

I've called the local Certified Toyota Collision Center and have an appointment on Friday to have them look things over. As far as I can tell, there isn't any damage. My guess is that she hit the receiver / bumper full on. If there is any damage, the bumper may be twisted a bit, but I'll leave that up to an expert.

This is only my 2nd ever accident. Last one was 20 years ago while in college. Poor girl was balling her eyes out cause she just crunched Grandma's car. I hope my next one waits another 20 years!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man that sucks, sorry to hear that. Hope she has a really good insurance company, cause I would get as much money as I could.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I got hit in the rear end by a kid in a Honda accord (his big brothers - and it was his big brothers' b'day that day, and he was all upset - and he tried to take off on me, when another driver blocked his getaway path. He bent my rear bumper (my '00 Tundra) into the box and bent the box corner. But, the damage to his bro's Honda - it took out the right front fender, and trashed his hood.

After that, I've kept my trailer ball on the hitch at all times... It may or may not have helped in this case, but I've seen a couple other accidents since where it would have helped some possibly if the trucks in the accidents had had their ball in the hitch.

-Garth

·
Registered
147 Posts
I feel your pain man. I had my 10 DC Tundra for only a month...and who would hit me none other than my WIFE. It was stop and go traffic, we drove seperate that day. She left after me and I was not even going no more than 5 mph, when I see these lights comes at me from behind at atleast 20-25 mph. She rammed right into me totalling her 2002 BMW. I had some cosmetic damage, but nothing too bad. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My adjuster just checked over the truck.

Definitely in for a new bumper. It is pressed in on the bottom along the right side just right of the center line. If you look at the wrap around portion on the passenger side, it is moved by over an inch out away from the body. I'd take a picture and post it, but no cameras allowed where I work.

Anybody have a clue what it costs to replace a bumper?

Just livin' the dream!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Back in 2004, I had to replace the rear bumper on my old 2001 Tundra after I got rear ended. Depends on what parts are needed, if both the plastic upper and chrome bottum needs to be replaced, then its going to cost quite a bit. When I had my accident, it costed $875 total (parts and labor) for just replacing the bottum chrome part. With the new bumpers, I'd say probably around $1200 (parts and labor) for both top and bottum, but again this depends on where you go. Different shops charges different prices.

Good luck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I heard that it was illegal in Cali to drive your truck with the ball/bar in the receiver unless you were actually towing?? Not true?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back in the day, when I lived in So. Cal., I used to keep drop bar and ball in the receiver on my '87 4'Runner. Never had an issue. I know tons of people here in AZ who keep theirs in year round and never take them out.

Just did a Google search and found that IL is trying to pass a law, but nothing in CA. The only reference I could find in CA is that your license plate cannot be blocked in any fashion and must be clearly visible. I assume this is meant for people who have a bumper mounted ball vs. a drop hitch like the OEM on on a Tundra.

·
Registered
112 Posts
At least you had 20K miles on it. I had my truck for 6 DAYS brand new before a guy decide to make a WIDE right and nail me, starting at my passenger side front fender to my rear wheels. OUCH. I have no idea how I did not punch this guy out when he told me I hit him.

·
Registered
56 Posts
last year I was getting some fuel .when I came out from paying I found a little BMW sport car attached to my hitch. The lady was on the phone calling the police. I thought ok at least she is taking care of it. well..... when the cop arrived she told him...right in front of me that I backed into her...... long story short...this station had cameras on every pump.....the cop went inside to take a look and came out and asked her if she would like to revise her story. My truck did not have a scratch on it ...except the hitch. She had poked a hole through her radiator ...antifreeze all over the ground. so there is something to be said for leaving that hitch and ball on . might have been different with out the lift to ?

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
:mad: Just got rear ended on the way to work!!! :mad:

As far as I can tell, there isn't any damage, but FRACK! I've barely got over 20k miles on the truck.

Ruined her day however... she hit me in a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Her front bumper was all messed up.
That sucks :( At least no one was hurt. :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Man this thread is scaring the poop out of me. I think I'll start parking waaaay the heck at the end of the lot from now on.

·
Registered
860 Posts

Definitely in for a new bumper. It is pressed in on the bottom along the right side just right of the center line. If you look at the wrap around portion on the passenger side, it is moved by over an inch out away from the body. I'd take a picture and post it, but no cameras allowed where I work.

Just livin' the dream!!!
uh go back and read my first reply in this thread. If you don't have sonar subtract about $225. Assumes no body damage.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Just livin' the dream!!!
When I had to have my truck fixed it ran about $6500, and that was for the front and rear bumper and cosmetic touches. Plus the tow light harness was $1500 or so. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think the benefits of leaving the ballmount in depends on the speed of the crash. In slow speed collisions that bad boy punctures right through the standard plastic rear bumper on most cars and nails the radiator support before the car can damage the truck. In higher speed collisions it's probably the perfect fulcrum point for twisting a frame.

I had a nice run of rear-endings in my 04 Dakota. Once on 95 South. Some chick blinded by sunglare tapped me in the rear. She was hot, I thought I could get something out of it. Turned out her husband's brother ended up fixing my truck at his bodyshop. I thought it was funny how she hopped out of her car and looked and saw the paint flaking off my bumper cover on my highly modified truck and said 'nothing major, you're fine just forgetting about this right?' I was amazed that somebody would be so ballsy as to assume somebody who obviously takes pride in a nice vehicle and put money into modifying it would just accept cosmetic damage and walk away without getting it repaired.

Got tapped from the rear once on a major local boulevard by a G6 at real low speeds. I had cosmetic damage again, my hitch (no ballmount) punched a shallow hole in his bumper. The biggie in my Dakota was when the 16 yr old biaatch nailed me at like 45 mph while I was at a stand still, she was driving a Corolla. Saw the cell phone drop when I looked back. Heard her friend go 'Oh no, not again, that's like 3 times in 6 months, you're dad is gonna kill you!' Almost throttled her when I got really mad and ripped off my bumper cover which was dangling by one screw and dragging on the ground and she goes 'whoa, did you just damage your own truck? Are you gonna try to pass that off as my fault?' Over heard her telling daddy over the phone I was driving crazy and weaving in and out before stopping short in front of her so there's no way she could avoid hitting me. Heard the local cop, who SURELY would have given me my ugly-azz a ticket had I not had my ins at the scene, tell the crying 16 yr old cutie "Don't worry about it, get back to me with your information within 20 days. Take your time.' Waited 3 weeks without so much as a reach-around, with a bent exhaust system, damaged shocks burned by the bent tail pipes pipes, tweaked frame, and damaged bumper, before having to get repairs through my own company and front the deductible. A little while after that they tracked her down and ratted her and dad out to their ins. company.

It was actually quite surprising, I had a hitch with no ballmount but she ended up bending that, tweaking the frame, bending the bumper, damaging the bumper cover. Over 4K in damage done by a Corolla to a body on frame Dakota with a hitch. I was curious to see what would have happened if the ballmount had been in.

Since then i never ever roll without either the ballmount or hitch step in. Haven't been rearended again. Regardless of actual effectiveness, people seem to pay a bit more attention when they see a big shiny metal object protruding from the rear of your truck directly in their field of vision.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts