Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so all ive been able to find out there is airbags that can support up to 5k lbs max, my trailer is 7800 lbs, any help??

Will these bags blow if I install them and use my trailer? Or will the combo of my leafs/ tow hitch help regulate the weight?

also, I've found some class 4 hitches, although I'm looking for one with a weight distribution set up.. anyone know of any?

Some people recommend a tranny cooler for the trans, what are these all about?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
if your talking about towing 7800 with a 1st gen tundra you need to read the book. The max a regular cab 2wd tundra can tow is 7100. This is due to c frame construction, any of the big 3's 1/2 ton will tow this because they have boxed frames, not a tundra. Air bags will not increase tow capacity, they only level the ride, which any correctly set up WDH will do anyway. Too much camper my friend... Sounds like you should spend some time in the towing forum to get yourself up to speed on towing with a tundra. Use the search box and read to your hearts content.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the Tundra can haul 7100 max, and I've done some research. The hitch is a class 3 and I'm looking for a class 4 with some airbags, weight dist bars, and poss a tranny cooler.

My trailer is a toyhauler, its MAX WEIGHT is 7800 lbs which I wont be loading to that weight, I just want airbags that can hold up to around that weight.

The trailers weight is 4800, and I'm not asking if the bags will help me tow, I'm asking what they will support. My truck has suspension in the rear with deaver leafs THAT ISNT STOCK, and my main question was where can I find bags that will support up to 7800 lbs..

also a class 4 hitch that fits the tundra, and poss a tranny cooler. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don,t need the air bags, as said before they will not do you any more then the wight distribution hitch will do, I have towed a 7000 lb trailer over 30000 miles with a 1/2 ton Chevy 5.3 engine, and tow package. Just bought a 207 Tundra and can,t wait to tow with it.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
As said above (and in many other places on this forum and others), air bags are not a substitute for a proper weight distributing hitch. This is determined by your tongue weight, NOT your trailer weight. What's your loaded tongue weight, loaded in the way you will be traveling?

- Chris

·
Registered
137 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but...
If you choose to install airbags you are only supporting the weight on the rear axle, not the entire weight of the trailer. #5000 is plenty considering the only weight you will be adding to the truck is the tongue weight (max 10% up to 710lb) plus whatever you load into the cab and bed. You are not hauling the trailer ON the box of the truck. I personally think airbags are best suited for at/near max payload in the bed to level the truck. As stated before, you should be able to achieve a proper ride level with a properly set up WDH so when towing, airbags are not needed. In my experience those who use them when towing tend to overload their trucks and thus, even with a WDH are not able to achieve level or safe driving conditions.
If your hitch is factory installed it should be a class 4, able to tow the max for your vehicle. I think there would be some legal issues if a manufacturer supplied a factory hitch with a rating less than the vehicle tow rating.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I know the Tundra can haul 7100 max, and I've done some research. The hitch is a class 3 and I'm looking for a class 4 with some airbags, weight dist bars, and poss a tranny cooler.

My trailer is a toyhauler, its MAX WEIGHT is 7800 lbs which I wont be loading to that weight, I just want airbags that can hold up to around that weight.

The trailers weight is 4800, and I'm not asking if the bags will help me tow, I'm asking what they will support. My truck has suspension in the rear with deaver leafs THAT ISNT STOCK, and my main question was where can I find bags that will support up to 7800 lbs..

also a class 4 hitch that fits the tundra, and poss a tranny cooler. Thanks

A WDH will spread the weight between the front and rear axels. If you put airbags on there also, they will not be supporting anything. The weight that would usually make the rear sag would be transfered to the front axel, making the truck level, and load disbursed evenly. You don't need air bags. You definately NEED a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have air bags and tow a 23ft travel trailer. you dont need them but they sure are nice to have, it takes out the feeling of rough seas!!! without my back end bounced and was very unpleasent.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Tranny cooler is what you need or your trip will end in first mountains. You'll burn it up. Need a cooler+extra fan preferably for your setup. As said above go and search towing threads.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Tranny cooler is what you need or your trip will end in first mountains. You'll burn it up. Need a cooler+extra fan preferably for your setup. As said above go and search towing threads.
Sorry to bring up a somewhat older thread.

We're looking into getting our first travel trailer, and I've been reading up on these towing threads.

Anyway, my '01 Tundra has the OEM transmission cooler. Is there a current go-to option for an aftermarket fan for the trans cooler?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I found some options via the SEARCH. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts