Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the towing section, but no responses there so I'll keep trying.

I have an '06 Tundra DC that I will use to tow our 30' 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is 5K dry, so I should be OK weight wise, but it does sag the suspension a bit more than I want. The questions is, should I use air bags or the Super Spring helper spring. Cost is an issue, but not the only one. The local shop whats about $560 installed for the Super Spring. I can get them online, shipped for $419.

No quotes on the air bag.

I live on acerage and have hauled some hefty loads (1200lbs +), causing the truck to bottom out fairly easily on small bumps. So it's not JUST for towing.

I am pretty mechanically inclined so do you think either of these would be an issue for a self install?

Any pro or con issues for either?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I can't really comment on either one, but I have heard people liking their Air Bags for versatility.

I can give you a couple more options, Timbrens and AirLift AirCells

I have friends with Timbrens and they love them.

I went with the AirCells, and it absolutely changed the truck with a load on. With a load of camping gear, it would bottom out on forest roads with a harsh slam! and rode nose high down the freeway. It wallowed around corners like a drunk pig....

With the cells on the truck sits level with a load on and when you hit a rough patch it kind of squats down gently. On twisty mountain roads it handles way better and feels safe and controllable.

The only downside is without a load, if you hit a large enough bump, it will bounce off the Cell a bit more than just the spring reflex. Not bad, but it can be a little annoying on the wrong road.

Here's the aircell mounted, the truck has just enough load on it to settle onto the aircell, but normally there is about an inch of airspace between the cell and bump plate

here's how it sits with a load of gear on

And just an FYI, we recently did a patio and I managed to haul 2300 lbs of pea gravel through DC to get the job done. I drove ultra slow, and there is no way I could have done that without the AirCells...

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh gee thanks, ANOTHER option :D. Actually thanks for the feedback. Never heard of air cells but will look into them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I pull a 27 ft I/O pontoon @ 5800 lbs with the receive hitch. Truck is a 2005 AC 4X4 limited. I installed Air Lifts with an on board compressor. I run @ 12/15lbs pressure unloaded and retain factory ride. Pump it to 80/90 lbs with load. Groans a bit but moves it on down the road. Air Lifts are my vote.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pull a 27 ft I/O pontoon @ 5800 lbs with the receive hitch. Truck is a 2005 AC 4X4 limited. I installed Air Lifts with an on board compressor. I run @ 12/15lbs pressure unloaded and retain factory ride. Pump it to 80/90 lbs with load. Groans a bit but moves it on down the road. Air Lifts are my vote.

Well, I had to make a decision, and went with the Helwig helper springs. Cost was a factor, as is time, so I needed to order something. I like the "put them on and forget em" idea of the springs. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I use Firestone Ride-Rite air helpers. These are air cells that fit between brackets, one bracket on the frame and the other on the spring just in front of the axle. Cost was about $125, and installation took me less than an hour. They've been there for about seven years and still work extremely well. I recommend them highly.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Helwigs installed easily, took me more time to round up the tools and jacks (everythings in a storage trailer, still waiting for my shop to be built) than it did to install the springs.

Adjusted them about halfway down the available threads, and the truck sits about 1/2" higher than stock. There is a slight increase in ride harshness, but not enough to be bothersome. I haven't put it under load yet, but will be towing my 30ft fith wheel on July 5th.

Will report on that experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use Firestone Ride-Rite air helpers. These are air cells that fit between brackets, one bracket on the frame and the other on the spring just in front of the axle. Cost was about $125, and installation took me less than an hour. They've been there for about seven years and still work extremely well. I recommend them highly.

I PMed you about this.

Did you get those for your 2000 Tundra?

If so please let me know where.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Helwigs installed easily, took me more time to round up the tools and jacks (everythings in a storage trailer, still waiting for my shop to be built) than it did to install the springs.

Adjusted them about halfway down the available threads, and the truck sits about 1/2" higher than stock. There is a slight increase in ride harshness, but not enough to be bothersome. I haven't put it under load yet, but will be towing my 30ft fith wheel on July 5th.

Will report on that experience.
Well I towed it, and it was very nice. The truck was just slightly below level, when I had pulled it before, and these springs helped a lot. I have also hauled some seriously heavy loads since then and I can tell you that the extra spring strength is a welcome addition. Some loads, I am sure exceeded what i should have been hauling in the bed of the truck (1500lb of sand) but I knew it was just a few miles and wasn't worried about it. Stopping was about the same as when my 5th wheel was on there and handling was greatly improved from the time I had hauled a similar load before the helper springs were installed.

The air bags, I am sure, are easier to adjust, but I have no regrets with these springs installed. Where I have them set right now, if a load starts to squat the truck, I most likely have no business hauling it in the bed anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Handi, you probably, by now have this handeled, but I just picked up a 5th wheel in Ocean Side and hauled it back to Nor Cal, (1600 pounds PIN weight) and I will be installing the Firestone Ride Rite 2445 this next week, I spoke to the Toyota Tundra Guru up here and he aslo said this would be the best set up. price is 289.00 free shipping and no tax.
Good Luck
Saint James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts