Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Tundra DC that I will use to tow our 30' 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is 5K dry, so I should be OK weight wise, but it does sag the suspension a bit more than I want. The questions is, should I use air bags or the Super Spring helper spring. Cost is an issue, but not the only one. The local shop whats about $560 installed for the Super Spring. I can get them online, shipped for $419.

No quotes on the air bag.

I live on acerage and have hauled some hefty loads (1200lbs +), causing the truck to bottom out fairly easily on small bumps. So it's not JUST for towing.

I am pretty mechanically inclined so do you think either of these would be an issue for a self install?

Any pro or con issues for either?

Thanks

·
Registered
347 Posts
i think bags r great. you can inflate them as much as you need them. if you dont have anything in you leave it flat or pump them up for heavy loads. i use them for my fifth wheel thats weighs 8600lbs. plus they are cheaper.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
No one had replied, so I ordered a set of 2000lb helper springs from Hellwig. Should be here midle of next week.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed the springs, I love em. They are only adjusted with about half the possible tension, and the 5th wheel has no major effect on the position of the truck. Ride has not diminished enough to be even concerned with, and I do not have to worry about air.

I highly recommend them.

Under $100, and it took about 1 hour to install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed the springs, I love em. They are only adjusted with about half the possible tension, and the 5th wheel has no major effect on the position of the truck. Ride has not diminished enough to be even concerned with, and I do not have to worry about air.

I highly recommend them.

Under $100, and it took about 1 hour to install.

thanks for the report. I have an 04 Double cab and am looking for a little more towing support as well. I am considering the Hellwig 1500 lb LP-15. These are suppose to be progressive so they do not affect your ride if you are not under load. They are $50 bucks more than the EZ 990 that are rated for 2000lbs (I believe that is what you ordered?)

Thanks again
Dan

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't recall the model number, and the box isn't around to look at, but mine were the 2000lb models for sure, not sure what the number was. Depending on what you want them for. I've hauled 1200+lbs of gravel in the bed of mine as well as that and more in broken concrete to the dump. Was looking for something to keep from letting springs bottom out.

On that topic, I did take the bumper stops off and used my band saw to trim about 1" off the tops. The instructions do not really address the stops at all. Other makers of helper springs eith recommend removing completely or trimming. I went with trimming. Better to have some stop there I figured.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You do not have to modify the bump stop at all to install our EZ-990 2000lb springs. They are only 3/8" thick and are not thick enough to affect the performance of the bump stops - just put the bump stop back on after you install the spring. As far as ride goes, the 2000 lb springs give a better ride due to a longer effective spring length. Even though they are $50 less than the LP-15, they are the best all around spring we make for the Tundra.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do not have to modify the bump stop at all to install our EZ-990 2000lb springs. They are only 3/8" thick and are not thick enough to affect the performance of the bump stops - just put the bump stop back on after you install the spring. As far as ride goes, the 2000 lb springs give a better ride due to a longer effective spring length. Even though they are $50 less than the LP-15, they are the best all around spring we make for the Tundra.

Thanks but a little late for me. Like I said, I trimmed mine cause every other maker said trim or remove. at least they're in there. As a side note, you ought to have them include that tidbit in the install instructions.

I do really like the springs. As for the ride and capability of the springs, if I understand it correctly, you could pretty much keep a factory ride but limiting how tight you adjust the clamps, correct?

This might be why I don't notice much ride change, since I only adjusted mine about half way. Thanks for the feedback Dave.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks again to you both. I am ordering the 991.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts