Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a small air compressor for an air horn install and I was hoping some of you have already installed one. Does anyone have some pictures to share?

I am installing the El Diablo air horn, when someone cuts me off they will regret it now! :devil:

El Diablo Hot Rods Deluxe Train Horn Air Horn

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The short answer is wherever you can find the space for it. There really isn't that much room left under the hood. The biggest space is toward the rear on the passenger side.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I was thinking... I was hoping someone out there had one of those awesome inspirations that would make me go, "that's a great idea!"

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
If you haven't bought the horn yet, look at the compact Stebel. You wont need the compressor.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The is probably room to mount it on the front of the core support behind the front bumper. It mostly depends on whether it needs to be protected from road spray. That wouldn't work well here in the winter, but in CA you might be able to get away with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine (that I use for the rear air bags) is mounted inside the frame rail just below the driver's seat.
I'll try to get a picture and post it - tomorrow at the earliest - if you want one... but it's pretty obvious and self explanatory.
Z

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you haven't bought the horn yet, look at the compact Stebel. You wont need the compressor.
I looked into it and it left me wanting more. The full on 180db El Diablo air horn caught my attention. I am going to mount a smaller self contained unit like the stebel too but a different brand as I like the sound better.

Zeebra, how is the vibration/noise with it mounted below the drivers area?

Did you install a switch to control when it will run the compressor? I don't want it firing up right when I turn the ignition on so I was considering installing a switch. For the horn button I am considering ordering the button cluster for the information display to the right of the steering wheel and modifying the parking gaydar button to be a momentary switch and rigging the air horn to that. That way it looks factory and since I have a RW all of the other buttons will work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To Wickett:

No vibration, but yeah there is a lot of noise when it goes on - kinda scares some people because it doesnt sound like any sound a car (or truck) should be making.

I only use it 'on-demand' to air up the airbags as needed by using a rocker switch/pressure gauge in the cab.

I would not want it to be automatically cycling all the time/any time to fill the tank - but you can set it up so that it will either:
automatically cycle when you say it can..... and/or
when the truck power is ON

It is guaranteed that there will be some kind of leak in the system, so there is a definite advantage to setting it up as stated above.

Z

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wick-
I just re-read your last paragraph, and yes that sounds like a good plan - let it go on automatic, but only when you flip the 'master' switch to allow the cycle.
Then having a switch board to control these things would looks great - lots of guys have been using switch clusters of all types that look really nice!
Z

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input Z, I will post some pictures when I make the plunge. It will probably be late summer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mounted mine on the front bumper support right in front of the radiator. Its still hidden from view by the bumper. It was tight and very tricky to fit my hands in there. Good luck. I have Dixie horns from WOLO and they rock. Just a good ol boys...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mounted mine on the front bumper support right in front of the radiator. Its still hidden from view by the bumper. It was tight and very tricky to fit my hands in there. Good luck. I have Dixie horns from WOLO and they rock. Just a good ol boys...
I am definitely going to try and mount the horns in the front for full effect but I am going to put the air tank and compressor farther back. Just talking about it makes me want to do it more. Maybe I will order it on the 1st...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts