Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my air filter with a K&N. I noticed in the upper part of the air box there is something like a filter up there. it looks a little dirty but i dont know what the heck it is? i tried to take it out but it seems like its not removable without breaking it out. Should I just get it out, or let it be. Maybe someone could tell me what i should do? :ts:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am a terrible mechanic:confused:. I have stock exhaust, and just a drop in filter....so i guess you are saying its ok to take out the top part of the air box? I just dont want to do anything that will jack up my engine. thanks again for the help

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I am a terrible mechanic:confused:. I have stock exhaust, and just a drop in filter....so i guess you are saying its ok to take out the top part of the air box? I just dont want to do anything that will jack up my engine. thanks again for the help
It prevents hydrocarbon emissions when you turn the truck off. It is not restrictive. You add to pollution if you take it out and you gain absolutely nothing. If your state inspection ever starts checking for these, you will have to spend a couple of hundred dollars to buy a new upper air box.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have run this way for a long time without problems. The airbox mods discussed in Hi_volt's thread gave my truck three tenths improvement in quarter mile time, which correlates to around 20-25 hp. The HC filter can be easily replaced in the future, should you prefer a slower accelerating truck. :D

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I have run this way for a long time without problems. The airbox mods discussed in Hi_volt's thread gave my truck three tenths improvement in quarter mile time, which correlates to around 20-25 hp. The HC filter can be easily replaced in the future, should you prefer a slower accelerating truck. :D
Did you gain any more MPG with this mod?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Did you gain any more MPG with this mod?
I did the same thing, no mpg gains. Wind pushing you is the only thing that gains mileage on these trucks.

Bill3508

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already cracked a piece of it...i will probably just leave it be. I have a knack for screwing up stuff.....I did get my leveling kit on...YAY! truck looks bada$$. this is the first vehicle i have ever modified! i love this thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts