Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Air filter ?

5K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Toy Collector 
#1 ·
I went to a Toyota Dealer to get my oil changed "free from the recall" They pulled an air filter out form the back of the glove box. so i have 2 ?'s

1. Do any of you guys know of a good place to find a new filter that is not $50.00 from the dealer.

2. How offten should that be changed out?

Thanks

#2 ·
I bought one from advance I think it was,,, when your air flow startes lagging or every 6 months or so??? beats me, you can always take it out and check it every so often,,, I drive on alot of gravel roads so mine gets changed alot

#5 ·
yeah, half of that price is labor, which is odd seeing as it is open already when they show you the old one. they gotta put a clean one in or the old one in, whats the difference. Not to mention it is literally a 60 second job.
Sparks sell them for 16 bucks I think. But any auto parts store can sell them. Even the dealer one is 25 if you put it in yourself.

#6 ·
I went to a Toyota Dealer to get my oil changed "free from the recall" They pulled an air filter out form the back of the glove box. so i have 2 ?'s

1. Do any of you guys know of a good place to find a new filter that is not $50.00 from the dealer.
Here are a few cabin air filters (from glove box) starting at about $8:
RockAuto Parts Catalog

Air Filters starting at $13:
RockAuto Parts Catalog

#11 ·
I ordered two of them from the "Filter Guy" or something like that on Ebay. Two of them shipped to my house took about
3 days cost a total of $20.00. Could not tell much difference from the factory one that I replaced. Works great, and
boy, was my old one dirty. Full of small leaves, dust, and stuff.

#14 ·
With about 8 minutes left over too!
That depends on how much junk the wife has stashed in the glove box. I always manage to dump some stuff on the floor. I asked the service manager what the labor was to change the filter, and he said the charge .75 hours...45 minutes! Thanks, but no thanks!

#15 ·
My dealer price was $22... and it's about a 20 second job... some of you guys must be holding a beer or four to make it take so long...

#17 ·
So, where exactly is the cabin air filter? I know it is in the region of the passenger glove box. Is it in it? under it? behind it? I went looking, and couldn't find it.

#18 ·
So, where exactly is the cabin air filter? I know it is in the region of the passenger glove box. Is it in it? under it? behind it? I went looking, and couldn't find it.
Behind lower glove box.
Remove the owners manual and read the back panel of the glove box. It tells you how to remove the shelf to access the filter. I think you lift up and out on the shelf to reveal the access panel for the CAF. I think the owners manual gives more detailed instructions in the A/C section.

#20 ·
I was looking to install an different air intake but thought it might be too loud. In a few discussions I just went and changed my air filter over to a High Performance "GREEN" filter. Cost me about $45 bucks, suppossed to last a lifetime (I'll let you know). Just clean once/twice a year. Also noticed a slight increase in sound and definitely a little more pep! So far so good, had it about a month.

#21 ·
I was looking to install an different air intake but thought it might be too loud. In a few discussions I just went and changed my air filter over to a High Performance "GREEN" filter. Cost me about $45 bucks, suppossed to last a lifetime (I'll let you know). Just clean once/twice a year. Also noticed a slight increase in sound and definitely a little more pep! So far so good, had it about a month.
That's pretty cool, but this thread concerns cabin air filters. :abduction:

#22 ·
Well I paid $15 for a washable all size fit air filter at Home Depot and made it the size of the cabin air filter. When your A/C fans sound goes higher at the same speed it was at it's time to take it out and wash it and put it back in. It's the same air filter you use for your home A/C. I had it in mine now for 75,000 miles and it's still working fine. Pay once and be over it. I clean it the same time I clean my AFE stage II filter. Both washed in mild detergent and let it air dry. I will post pics if needed.

#23 ·
Well I paid $15 for a washable all size fit air filter at Home Depot and made it the size of the cabin air filter. When your A/C fans sound goes higher at the same speed it was at it's time to take it out and wash it and put it back in. It's the same air filter you use for your home A/C. I had it in mine now for 75,000 miles and it's still working fine. Pay once and be over it. I clean it the same time I clean my AFE stage II filter. Both washed in mild detergent and let it air dry. I will post pics if needed.
Good idea. You get points.

#25 ·
Seeing as no pictures have been provided, here are a few...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.