Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search but couldn't really find anything on this. I find that I do not get a lot of air flow from my front vents. The air is hot and I can hear the blower (fairly loud) but not that much air flow. The defrost and lower setting work pretty good.

Ironically the truck does heat up but I am not sure if there is something wrong. I did have my center console apart and the guy installing my car starter did have some vent under the dash off so now I am thinking something is not working.

Any comments on the amount of air flow coming from your front vents? My first Tundra and I'm used to a F150 so I just want to ask.

TIA

·
Registered
72 Posts
What vent setting? All upper front vents?

Mine dies significantly when I use the split setting (upper and lower) Was wondering too if something hadn't come loose in the dash.

Settings 1-3 barely have a breeze. High feels like it should on 1 or 2.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I have the upper front vents going, like yours, high seems like a 1 or 2.

I could hardly feel a breeze with the first setting. Second setting is not much better.

I'll see if anyone else has any experience before I decide to take a look at the air flow chambers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed the same problem with my 06 tundra.... when i max out the air.. it seems like it should blow much harder... Im just comparing it to autos i had in the past.. Im not sure what the problem is.. Im glad somebody else noticed it...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yea mine is the same way. It sounds like it should be blowing a good bit of air, but yet only a slight breeze comes out of the vent. Does anyone know if there is a filter or something in the vent track that is slowing/restricting the airflow?

·
Registered
51 Posts
All I can say is that my truck before this Tundra was a Ford Sport Trac and I have to admit that the Ford A/C blows Toyota away as far as coldness of air and air flow. You might just be spoiled by the Ford A/C.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 01 has the same wimpy air flow. I find it hard to believe it's normal, but since I bought it used it's all I know.... Things were really bad A/C wise until I adjusted the water valve per the TSB - now it's cold, but still really weak airflow unless turned all the way up. Hoping maybe there's a fix for the airflow too - anyone?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
If the fan is turning full speed, such as you suggest, then the air has to be going somewhere. If some of the venting is disconnected, as you also suggest, then the air may just be blowing around beneath the dash.

With the truck stopped (of course), turn the HVAC system to full speed, then poke your head beneath the dash and listen for air rushing around ... turn the air-direction selector knob through the several different settings and listen for airflow changes. Look around for disconnected vent tubes.

My '04 Tundra blows like a hurricane. If yours doesn't, get it checked out. Good luck. And let us know how you resolve this.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My front vents blow super strong too, however its the floor vents that are giving me problems. They hardly put out any air at all. but the vents next to the stereo, very strong!!

·
2,875 Posts
Well my 06 dc has the weakest ac blower of any vehicle I've ever owned. I have to turn it all the way up to get flow that is the equivalent of most other mid range settings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I concur with all the other complaints that the A/C doesn't blow hard enough. On my truck, the first (lowest) setting is a joke. When you turn it to the highest setting, it sounds like it's blowing 50mph but it's not. I have no problem with coldness; but the highest setting is more aggravating because it's more noise than air. On my wife's Infinite G35, the highest setting will force you to rapidly blink your eye if you look at the vent.

·
Registered
350 Posts
With the ac, do you guys have the recirculate button on, I notice if its not on it will blow alot less. if its on, it blows 2x as hard.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: air flow from front vents... fixed?

Well, I did some poking around and I think I fixed the air flow from the front vents. I should say I think I made it better.

I pulled off the dash trim around the radio and added some more foam to stop the squeaks. At the same time wrapped some soft cell foam around the vent ports that fit into the main duct (if that makes sense). There was some there already from the factory but I am thinking that it wasn't getting a good seal.

Now I seem to have better air flow and when I turn the fan on high, I don't hear a howl behind the dash.

·
2,875 Posts
Glad you were able to locate and fix your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the ac, do you guys have the recirculate button on, I notice if its not on it will blow alot less. if its on, it blows 2x as hard.
Yes mine does same thing , why is that? I have 2002 tundra and i think it does not have air filter

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Tundra but AC will not blow out the vent, technician inform me that it could cost over $2,000 to just repair the air condition and if you ever have a problem with the starter it's about the same expense. That's ridiculous I will get a Ford next time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts