Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
My '08 Sequoia with the 5.7 suddenly went into what I call "limp mode" last December...decreased power with dash lights flashing. Had it towed on a flatbed to the dealer and here is what they put on the service writeup:
CODE P2440 SECONDARY AIR INJECTION VALVE STUCK OPEN BANK 1 ~|~REMOVED INTAKE MANIFOLD AND REPLACED SECONDARY AIR INJECTION VALVE AND INSTALLED CLAMP

Happened at 35,5K miles so it was covered under warranty. I remember them saying they've seen this quite a bit on the Tundra. I asked how much it would've cost me out of warranty and I thought I remember a figure around $6-700. I'm hoping this one lasts a little longer...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I briefly read that thread before and the majority of issues seemed to be happening to the '07 models. I'm usually not a proponent of extended warranties but I'm glad I purchased it this time seeing how much it's been a problem on the tundra.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I briefly read that thread before and the majority of issues seemed to be happening to the '07 models. I'm usually not a proponent of extended warranties but I'm glad I purchased it this time seeing how much it's been a problem on the tundra.
Probably only because the '07's have more miles on them. Toyota has not changed any of the affected parts even on the '10's as I understand it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm surprised that the Sequoia which uses the same engine/AIP system doesn't have the same failure rate (as it seemed like) with the Tundra. Is this also the case with the Landcruiser 5.7L?
May be due to the fact that warranty on the Sequoia and LC is longer thus if it break, dealer fix it...while Tundra only like 3 years/36k miles...so peeps scream louder when they have to pay $3K out of pocket to fix :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm surprised that the Sequoia which uses the same engine/AIP system doesn't have the same failure rate (as it seemed like) with the Tundra. Is this also the case with the Landcruiser 5.7L?
May be due to the fact that warranty on the Sequoia and LC is longer thus if it break, dealer fix it...while Tundra only like 3 years/36k miles...so peeps scream louder when they have to pay $3K out of pocket to fix :D
I don't know about the Lexus but I thought all Toyota's (except hybrids) had the same warranty.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere else on this forum that this component had been redesigned two or three years ago. Anybody have any information on wether that is true or not?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere else on this forum that this component had been redesigned two or three years ago. Anybody have any information on wether that is true or not?
Nope. Go over to the Tundra side of this website and check out the AIP thread, 115K views, 1400 posts. Happens to all years of current gen.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Got a notice from Toyota recently. There is now a TSB for Air Injection Pumps and Air Swithcing Valves for 2008-2010 Sequoias. Toyota is extending the warranty on these parts to 10 years / 150,000 miles. Anyone who's paid for previous repairs should contact Toyota for reimbursement

Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc
Toyota Customer Service WC 10
19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90509

1 - 9 of 9 Posts