Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been enjoying my 07 DC 4X4 now for almost 3 years (68,000) & then it happened....the dreaded CHECK ENGINE light came on. Took it to auto zone to get a code (P2442) & contacted the dealership. "Secondary air injection valve bank 2 stuck closed". They quoted me $921.00 for the repair & adjusted that to $669.93 once they discovered I had an extended warranty:confused:. After bringing it home from the stealership, all my dash lights started blinking (VSC, 4-lo, check eng. etc...). Took it back & discovered they had forgotten to connect a vacuum line after completing the repair. I spoke with the technician that worked on my truck & he said the entire air injection assembly needed to be changed out because water was the culprit. However, GAI (my warranty guys) will only pay to replace what's "coded". The tech went on to tell me that these trucks were not designed for Louisiana humidity & I would undoubtedly continue to get water in my air injectors due to the fact that they have no filters to catch condensation/ water.

I absolutely LOVE the truck, but I think I will certainly consider trading it in by 100,000 when my warranty expires. That hurts since I bought it with full intentions on running the wheels off! Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
in the same boat as you...my stealership wants $2k for the same exact code!! we are not the only ones with this problem there is another thread on TS about this....i guess its hit or miss with the service dept. like you i Luv my truck and bought the extended warranty to cover these things but doesn't make sense on y the pump assembly itself is $862 list price!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gotta say, I just ran over my 100,000 mile extended warranty, and had had to replace a tensioner belt and pully, an air injector, another bely today and the same water intrusion injection valve you had to replace, some vin's are on a recall. however they want to replace everything in line with this injection valve, the air pump, the valve and a clamp and charge me $1600 for the job when the only thing wrong with it is the valve, same for everything because it is the Japanese way to replace the engine for example in case your VALVE RINGS NEED REPLACED. tell ya the truth, the device gives Tundras an extra 8 mins over the lifetime of the vehicle of carbon savings, it's an EPA device required in california. i got a code gen, and I cleared the codes, it literally is there to satisfy the EPA and that's it. Anyway you can unplug the cables, you'll get a check engine light, buy your own part, the only one that needs replaced, and have another mech in town do it, exampl;e, I bought a belt at autozone today for $38.00, the dealership wanted $98.00 for the very same belt. I haggled them down on the time because they dio not have to use the factory reccomended time in the manual, they can use the actual time it takes to replace the part. One toyota dealership wanted five hour to unscrew 2 bolts, loosen a clamp, unplug a wiore, and replace said part, then reattach everything. I could do it myself for a lot less time, but then again they said I had a 1.5L SOHC engine, and put down the wrong code on the paper work. So I'm in abbitration with toyota on this issue. The vehicle was great up to about 72,000 miles, i bought ity new. I replacing the belt, for less than an hour, book said two hours, I provide the belt. I am getting a valve somewhere other than toyota, and going to replace that with two hour of labor, far shot from five hours on a 1.5l SOHC. My truck is an extended cab, 4.7L. When replacing belts, replace all of them. Really the engine light will go out, and it randomly comes on because the valve is only flaky, not completely rusted out. Toyota price for the part, $500.00, But then again toyota price for a power steering pumps $399.00, autozone, $130.00, same pump. My advice get a second opinion from another Toyota dealership next time, buy your own parts. They'll work with you.

Been enjoying my 07 DC 4X4 now for almost 3 years (68,000) & then it happened....the dreaded CHECK ENGINE light came on. Took it to auto zone to get a code (P2442) & contacted the dealership. "Secondary air injection valve bank 2 stuck closed". They quoted me $921.00 for the repair & adjusted that to $669.93 once they discovered I had an extended warranty:confused:. After bringing it home from the stealership, all my dash lights started blinking (VSC, 4-lo, check eng. etc...). Took it back & discovered they had forgotten to connect a vacuum line after completing the repair. I spoke with the technician that worked on my truck & he said the entire air injection assembly needed to be changed out because water was the culprit. However, GAI (my warranty guys) will only pay to replace what's "coded". The tech went on to tell me that these trucks were not designed for Louisiana humidity & I would undoubtedly continue to get water in my air injectors due to the fact that they have no filters to catch condensation/ water.

I absolutely LOVE the truck, but I think I will certainly consider trading it in by 100,000 when my warranty expires. That hurts since I bought it with full intentions on running the wheels off! Has anyone else had this problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts