Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me that you can remove the charcoal filter in the air box and that it will add hp and mpg. Is this true? Has anyone done this with noticeably successful results? Any reasons why this shouldn't be done? I've heard it has something to do with air quality standards in some states...

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The HC filter is an emissions control device. It is a one way valve that prevents the backflow of noxious gases from the engine to the atmosphere through the intake tract, ironically when the engine is off. Realistically I can't see a shut off engine being a significant source of emissions in comparison to a running engine.

Here is significant source of emissions --->

One of my brothers on this board Hi_Volt did this mod in concert with other airbox mods. I did essentially the same and found an improvement of three tenths in the quarter mile.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...ystems/109612-stock-air-flow-numbers-and-mod/

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
It is simply an activated charcoal element that absorbs unburnt hydrocarbons backflowing through the intake. It's removal will not add any measurable hp or mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts