Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L and I am thinking about putting a air intake kit in it with a throttle body spacer. I am looking at the K&N intake with Poweraid Throttle body Spacer. Would the kit fit with spacer without rubbing against anything? How is the AFE intake? Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
The throttle body spacer is nothing more than a very expensive paper weight. Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which intake is better, K&N or AFE? What is the purpose of the throttle body spacer? If money wasn't the issue, would the Poweraid throttle body still fit with the K&N intake?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
A longer length runner on the intake (due to the spacer) tends to improve part throttle / midrange torque, so the theory is sound. Practice is different, however, as most of these spacers add so little to this length that any benefit would only be measured/detected on an engine dyno.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Afe and volant are the way to go as far as intake go. I don't care who makes them throttle body spacers do absolutley nothing for fuel injected motors. They make noise and only make your wallet lighter. If you won't buy that bridge from tighty, I have one for sale in San fransisco for ya. Lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
What is the purpose of the throttle body spacer?
On vehicles with carburetors they *can increase HP for 2 reasons. Lets say you change cams in your SBC motor that makes more HP up top...lets say 7K where before peak HP was 4.5K. Because you retained a low rise intake manifold that is more suited to lower rpm then a TB spacer will make more HP. This is also what the purpose of those giant high rise intake manifolds are on race motors.

On the same motor where the cams are designed to make HP at 4.5K you will LOOSE HP over the range and if not loose any gains will be nominal at best. The exception is when the motor already had hot(ish) cams and a short runner IM.

The other way (and this is a stretch) is because phenolic spacers keep the carb cooler and hence the fuel stays cooler. (I call BS on this because the fuel is in the carb for a short amount of time on race motors, and with the volume of fuel going through them would not have enough time to transfer enough heat to make a diff.....but in theory....).

TB spacers on FI vehicles are a waste of money.
Sure someone is going to say they gained tons of HP because of them.

-ALSO-

Anything that claims to 'spin' the air is full of duke and any device made to attempt to spin the air will cause a loss of HP...period.

Any time air direction is changed it requires energy to do this. The loss in energy is directly related to the engine sucking air into the cylinders and will directly affect Ve (volumertic efficency.....basiclly when your engine is running there still is a vacuum in the cylinder when the piston is at dead bottom....if your motor had 100% Ve you would have zero vacuum. The lower the vacuum the more air is in the cylinder and the more HP you will make. THis is WHY porting, CAI, correct ram air, port profile, cams and better air filters make (or break) HP).

All of these BS tornados, air spinners, vortex and swirllers have a mechanical obstruction to the air intake tract and cause lower Ve numbers.

AND WTF does spinning the air supposed to really do....will it be spinning 1" past the spacer....when it its a bend in the IM....when it hits the back of the valve face?????

Give me a f-ing break!!!!

(sorry for the long post...but TB spacers are a joke on FI vehicles and is a sore subject with me!)

~JH

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
TRD Intake!!!

Side note: I wonder who would win on a dyno with the same truck, between the TRD Intake, Volant, AFE, K&N, etc... ? Now THAT would be something for a group of TS members to do on a Saturday! You California boys seem to have the power in numbers, and better access to a dyno - Handle it!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at the trd one too but that one is too expensive. I have a buddy who can get me a really good deal on a K&N and AFE. Which one is better, K&N, AFE or TRD? What I am wondering is if I was to get the TB Would it fit with the K&N Intake because I know that the tube would be longer on the K&N because K&N doesnt have TB's.

·
Registered
422 Posts
4runner - you seem dead set on getting a TB spacer even though everyone on here says stay away. But here's the secret - don't tell anyone... shhhhh - if you put TWO TB spacers back to back - you will get BIG HP gains. especially if you put a clockwise tornado next to a counterclockwise vortex TB spacer. trust me - it works.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Hey OP... look, CAIs are questionable enough in producing any real noticeable HP increases... even the best claims are 13HP and that roughly equates to 10HP at the wheels. That is HIGHLY unlikely to begin with, but lets just play along... you've got 381 peak HP (roughly 330hp at the rear wheels)... are you seriously going to notice that extra 10HP? Maybe, but I'm willing to bet a strong NO on that one... never mind that real-world numbers are probably closer to 2-4HP gains at the wheels tops. TB spacers aren't going to do you any good either. But if you like to blow some money, by all means, feel free to do so, nobody will stop you from doing so. Hopefully you'll put your $$ to better use; but either way, good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
984 Posts
That's not totally true. The better the truck can breath, the better the performance. And stock tundras put out between 310 and 320 to the wheels. You will feel a 10 hp gain, bit it's not going to pin you back with power if that's what your expecting. When I got my truck tuned my volant accounted for a good chunk of my gains.

Stay away from any intake that needs to be oiled as it can really gunk up your throttle butterfly and MAF sensor. And whether you spend $75 on a throttle body spacer or send me a check for $75 dollars the gains will be the same.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
That's not totally true. The better the truck can breath, the better the performance. And stock tundras put out between 310 and 320 to the wheels. You will feel a 10 hp gain, bit it's not going to pin you back with power if that's what your expecting. When I got my truck tuned my volant accounted for a good chunk of my gains.

Stay away from any intake that needs to be oiled as it can really gunk up your throttle butterfly and MAF sensor. And whether you spend $75 on a throttle body spacer or send me a check for $75 dollars the gains will be the same.
Obviously helping the engine to breathe better helps in gains (look at exhaust, super/turbo chargers, etc.) But, again, I doubt most people would notice the supposed 10hp gain from a CAI; never mind that getting that gain from a CAI is virtually impossible. Most people would notice the gain from a simple difference in temperature before accounting for a CAI. The fact is, even a 10hp gain at the wheels is not even 3% difference in WOT power and realistically, you'd be lucky to get 1/3 of that anyway (i.e. 1%).
I've got Borla dual-cat backs, DT Shorties and a K&N filter on my truck. K&N went in first; pretty much no difference, but better sounding. DT Shorties went on next... much better pickup from the start. Dual cat-backs went on afterwards and not much butt-dyno difference when doing that (and I'm fairly certain the claims for HP were higher than for the TRD CAI). Point is, on a good day, I'll notice more of a difference in how the truck drives (i.e. on a colder day than for example today at 90F+).
I'm sure the OP will make his own decision, but I would hate for him to have all these expectations and then be disappointed if he can't really tell the difference. Surely doing the CAI in combination with better headers and exhaust will maximize the gains, but the CAI by itself could prove to be a disappointment. Each of the other mods is much better bang-for-the-buck performance wise. Just my $0.02...

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...Surely doing the CAI in combination with better headers and exhaust will maximize the gains, but the CAI by itself could prove to be a disappointment. Each of the other mods is much better bang-for-the-buck performance wise. Just my $0.02...
But it depends on his expectations to begin with. I didn't expect a whole lot of "gains" from installing my TRD Intake by itself. I purchased it as a "starter" for my upgrades, Step-1 so to speak. I chose the TRD over the aftermarket competitors for reasons I've already stated.

Even with low expectations, I've been pleasantly surprised. The sound is so much better over the stock air-box... it looks fantastic, and I feel a small improvement in throttle response.

And since it's Step-1 for me, I'm looking forward to the rest of the upgrades to see how well they all work in conjunction to gain more power for my truck. The final "performance" step for me will be a custom tune, once I find a place to do it. Is any of it worth the money? Of course not, the truck already does what it's supposed to do. But it's my toy, and I want to make it more fun. We can all justify it a million ways, but it comes down to boys with their toys!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I am excited to see a throttle body spacer equipped truck on the dyno. Come on guys you know full well someone somewhere put it in his head that the spacer will make a difference for cheap, and he'll end up with one regardless of what he's told here.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Even with low expectations, I've been pleasantly surprised. The sound is so much better over the stock air-box... it looks fantastic, and I feel a small improvement in throttle response.
it looks fantastic under the hood where nobody can see it.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
...it looks fantastic under the hood where nobody can see it.
LOL - But I can! And I like it. And thanks to the pics I took, you can all see it too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts