Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it seems like most everyone is downing the K & N airfilter, has anybody had good results using Volant or any other brands of cold air intakes??? I'm thinking of getting one but don't want to waste the $$$$$ on one that sucks (literally):ts:

·
Registered
306 Posts
well what most people argue is that k&n sucks because it messes up the maf sensor because the oil gets in there. and the response is usually that all you have to do is clean the filter once a month or something along those lines and your fine. i have an airraid cold air filter which is dry so i don't have to worry about that. then most people will say that buying one all together is a complete waste of money and the stock one is just fine. and then of course there are the tru flow fans out there. so if you really wanna get one then you pretty much have 2 choices. k&n if you like the name and don't care for cleaning your maf now and then. or pretty much any other brand that has a dry filter. i have no idea if there is a difference in hp or tq but any gain will be little. expect some low end loss

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Since it seems like most everyone is downing the K & N airfilter, has anybody had good results using Volant or any other brands of cold air intakes??? I'm thinking of getting one but don't want to waste the $$$$$ on one that sucks (literally):ts:

i like my trueflow

·
Registered
136 Posts
i really like the volant intake! made the exhaust louder and can notice more power!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm running with the Volant intake, and love it. Not too loud.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess once my mileage gets to the point of replacing the stock air filter then I'll make my decision on replacement of the air intake.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I got an Volant intake in my DBle cab and I love it...:tu:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a 2004 DC and I put Borla Dual Exhaust and a K&N FIPK System in. After reading several posts on this forum about guys switching back to stock airbox, I thought I would give it a try. I took out the K&N FIPK and reinstalled the stock airbox with stock paper filter (I unhooked the battery terminal to reset the computer). I took the truck around the block and I cannot believe how responsive it is now. I never knew any better at the time with the K&N. My truck accelerated faster and seems to shift better with the stock airbox. I never would have thought this was so. I wish I would have spent the $200 on something else besides the K&N FIPK. I would highly recoomend against the K&N FIPK in at least a 2004 DC Tundra

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
First off I love my trueflow Retains stock closed airbox.The problem I have against k&n is not the oil cause trueflow has that also and have not had maf problems.K&n does not filter well at all lets more air and more dirt in after about 3,000 miles when I switch filter was clean and throttle body was dirty as hell now with trueflow filter is dirty intake is clean as it should be.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I have a 2004 DC and I put Borla Dual Exhaust and a K&N FIPK System in. After reading several posts on this forum about guys switching back to stock airbox, I thought I would give it a try. I took out the K&N FIPK and reinstalled the stock airbox with stock paper filter (I unhooked the battery terminal to reset the computer). I took the truck around the block and I cannot believe how responsive it is now. I never knew any better at the time with the K&N. My truck accelerated faster and seems to shift better with the stock airbox. I never would have thought this was so. I wish I would have spent the $200 on something else besides the K&N FIPK. I would highly recoomend against the K&N FIPK in at least a 2004 DC Tundra
Finally someone has seen the light.

I really don't even want to argue against these topics anymore. If ya'll want to spend money on noisemakers, go for it. But please stop spreading the rumor that they give you more power, because they don't. Changing the intake is changing your torque curve, but not adding power. And if you want to argue it, look right above in the post I quoted.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
so the stock intake has better bottom end but how about the top end? i could use some more bottom end power:( i currently have a drop in k&n
Everyone claims that their truck has more power on top end with their intakes. Personally I think it's psychological. You can HEAR the intake more since it's modified therefore you think it's really making more power, but it's really not. But again, to each his own. I'd rather spend $200 on a hooker and a bottle of jack daniels. :D

·
Registered
919 Posts
Everyone claims that their truck has more power on top end with their intakes. Personally I think it's psychological. You can HEAR the intake more since it's modified therefore you think it's really making more power, but it's really not. But again, to each his own. I'd rather spend $200 on a hooker and a bottle of jack daniels. :D
Intake hater^^^:D

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
so the stock intake has better bottom end but how about the top end? i could use some more bottom end power:( i currently have a drop in k&n
ditch the drop-in k&n. youll get some power back on the low end.

save your money for headers, they help. also look for a good aftermarket exhaust...search for posts from v8toilet and verndog on engine mods.

get a unichip or look at thundera's posts about fuel management systems, he used a different fuel management computer and got great results on a 2UZFE.

stop buying noisemakers...those things are marketed to people who dont know any better, and the marketing works. i was one of those guys...

i have a trueflow filter. no need to get their cold air intake, it's just a tube...the stock airbox stays there.

there are two problems taking air from under the hood or ramming air in to the engine, you guys should search the engine and drivetrain forum. there are dyno charts from a while back on a non-vvti engine, since the intakes affect low range power i would guess that vvti doesnt matter--in other words whether your engine is vvti or not is a moot point since the filter has already hurt you by the time vvti kicks in.

-sean

·
Registered
919 Posts
i think FXNGLAS is correct on this, its phycological atleast on our trucks:cry:
Fxnglas hates on everything there is for aftermarket products. I don't care if the intake does'nt give you 10hp, it still looks 10 times better than stock.

People put on nice rims, those don't give you horsepower either (just an example) the point is it just looks better than stock.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Fxnglas hates on everything there is for aftermarket products. I don't care if the intake does'nt give you 10hp, it still looks 10 times better than stock.

People put on nice rims, those don't give you horsepower either (just an example) the point is it just looks better than stock.
I hate on everything there is? Wrong junior. I hate everyone that thinks nickel and dime mods get you somewhere. I spent over $18,000 in aftermarket parts in my Tacoma. You gotta pay to play. And yes, it was supercharged, with a stock intake.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That's the attitude I keep seeing in the 07 forum :devil:. Maybe you should trade up :clown:.

Function before fashion rules the street, the strip and the dirt. Chrome rules the parking lot.

Your choice...:devil:

·
Registered
374 Posts
i dont know about you boys but i dont have time to play in the dirt very much anymore. chrome isnt always such a bad thing.....i dropped about the same (18K) on my 92 300ZX and still have to slap my hand to keep going.
i wish someonte would develop some repellant for the mod bug.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts