Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am setting up the WD hitch height of my Tundra, and am not sure whether
to put air in the bags and set the hitch ball height, or to leave the air OUT of the bags and set the hitch ball height...

If I should leave the air out to set the ball height, then when, if ever, do I air up the bags?

Anyone know for sure?

Rex

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I just did the same thing last week. The instructions say to deflate the airbags to their lowest setting then set up the hitch. I brought my bags down to 5 psi. I set it up from there. I found that I really didn't need the air bags. I'm still playing around with the bag pressure. I found that in my case, the trailer was unloaded (no water, grey or black and unloaded with no toys in the back) It's a toyhauler. I set it up to haul the trailer empty and would use the airbags to finely tune the level when loaded. I learned that even by just adding 10 psi to the bags made a difference in driving it.

This is what I found to be extremely useful in getting mine set up right. It's time consuming (especially when hot outside) but when you get it set correctly, you can pull the trailer down the road and feel really comfortable and stable with it.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/17730894.cfm

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Set it up without the bags inflated. The WDH should be adjusted so that the front axled is loaded the same or more than without the WDH engaged. Use the WDH to level the truck. You may need to re-adjust the WDH once the trailer is loaded. If you add air to the bags, do not raise the rear of the truck. This will effectively change the head angle on the WDH and reduce its effectiveness. That combined with the theory that airbags actually cause bounce will make for a bouncy ride.

I installed airbags because I thought they would help control bounce. As detailed in other threads, I have found this not to be true. FOr a hitch pull trailer, I think they actually make it worse.

Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for input .. That's a lot of help..

I found I was experiencing a lot of bounce, too.. maybe because I had too much air in my airbags..

And yep, I had the back high up in the air and the I had to change the angle of the hitch ball ... :loco:

I reckon I will go start over ..

Thanks, again..

Rex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts