Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a fence post awhile back at 12 to 15 mph, damage was to the left(drivers side) front, light, fog light, bumper, turn signal............about two weeks after getting it fixed, my airbag light comes on,,,, when checled at dealer , there is no code(ie: not a dead short) ....they clear it and it came back on in about 120 miles, they replaced the spiral cable, it still came back on, now talking about the airbag its self or the brain for the airbag............any body else have these issues or have ANY ideas as to what is causing it?........Thanks

P.S. the airbags did not go off

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Were the brackets for the airbag sensors bent or damaged? They're between the rad and the back of the headlight housings. Yellow in color. Check the fuse for the airbag or "SRS", pull it for a few minutes, then replace. Check for MIL.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, fuse is good, found the sensors(thanks) and the damage was done right next to one of the sensors...drivers side, under battery......can I unplug and get some readings from it? and what should I get "if" I CAN DO THAT. I,m thinking that a air gun "might " have damaged it from tightening bolts on fender up .......or a price to replace it?

Thanks

DUH>>>>>>MIL sorry

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
Ok, fuse is good, found the sensors(thanks) and the damage was done right next to one of the sensors...drivers side, under battery......can I unplug and get some readings from it? and what should I get "if" I CAN DO THAT. I,m thinking that a air gun "might " have damaged it from tightening bolts on fender up .......or a price to replace it?

Thanks

DUH>>>>>>MIL sorry
Other than verifying the conenction is good, I'm not too sure. But if you unplug it, and if I recall correctly, the service manual states the (-)batt should be removed for at least 2 minutes prior, to allow residual drain. They have a blanket statement they use throughout the manual when describing maintenance to the SRS (supplemental restraint system). Probably because replacing an unintentional airbag deployment is expensive, not to mention dangerous.

·
Registered
697 Posts

Thanks

DUH>>>>>>MIL sorry
The alignment of the sensor is critical fer it to operate properly. Got any piccies of the sensor area? ;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no pics........that area does not look to be damaged at all........could you explain the alignment issue to me?

And Tundredenalin......I take it that "might" not be somthing I would want to mess with? Just request that a mech takes a look at it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
If they haven't changed in recent years the sensors are just a ball held by a magnet. In a collision it breaks loose, travels forward
and touches two contacts completing the circuit. I would look for a damaged wire or bent prong in a plug. ABSOLUTELY disconnect
the battery when dealing with the airbag circuit. And don't be doing continuity checks with an ohm meter unless you are following the factory manual procedure.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just looked through the manual. There is also a sensor in the seat belt pretensioner. So there are four sensors and the sensor
computer under the dash just on top of the tunnel. The book says if the light is on and the code is normal, (page DI-488) , that there is a voltage source drop. So a battery or the airbag sensor assembly on the tunnel are the only two problems listed. The light will
go out automatically once the problem is corrected. Charge the battery first and try it. The Sensor has a dc/dc converter to bump
the voltage. You need the manual to check this yourself. I can't post the amount of info contained in the set up to diagnose and check
procedures. And if you flip a plug or check the wrong terminals it could be ugly.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now ya all got me paying attention........I don't need any more issue's.......soooooo I got on the horn and called the insurance co. back and told them what was going on........they said since it was not on before accident, and is now , that they will step up....Man I am so relieved........so here I go Monday to see what can be done at the body shop 1st, then if the issue is not found, its off to toyota..... are we having fun yet?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well they replaced the brain for the air bag .........and so far ....300 miles .....all is well.......man am I glad that the insurance stepped up.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts