Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Around November/December I'm installing the BDS 4.5" lift with the Fox 2.0's all the way around. I'm having Rockridge 4wd do the install since they are the closest reliable install shop. They quoted me to have airbags installed would be an aditional $350.00, which I tow a 26' TT weighing 7800lbs loaded. I'm for sure getting Airbags installed, my question is, is it worth getting the onboard air compressor or should I just leave it where I manually pump up my airbags?

Please share you're experiences along with your Pro/Con's.

Thank you,

CRC

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So is it worth spending 300$ plus for the air compressor?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The nice thing about the compressor and bags set up is that you can do the two kits separately if $$$ is an issue. On a related note. I just put airbags on my Tundra to tow my 28 foot TT. The only two companies, IMO, that are worth considering are firestone and airlift. The rest are well, the rest. Firestone has the big name recognition behind it and I have personally owned a setup from them (last truck). It was everything that it promised it would be. The install was painless and the system worked great. I was in the market for setup for this truck and I stumbled across airlift. The main differences between the two are that airlift is made by goodyear and offers a kit that has a jounce bumper built into the airbags so you can run them at zero pressure. Airlift also has a LIFETIME warranty on ALL parts on the kit. Firestone has neither. Airlift is also cheaper and makes a really nice compressor kits, I will be installing the wirelessone kit when I have another $300 to spend. The install on the airlift kit is identical to the firestone. It takes about 1.5 hrs. plan on taking the rear wheels off. It is VERY much worth the time.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, Thank you. I'll check out airlift and see if the place I'm going through carries them. I'm getting everything done this winter, most likely November-December.

CRC

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up going with the Firestone Ride-rite. After reading a ton of reviews, they were the better choice for me. The Airlift does have the built in bump stops but they still recommend that you have a minimum of 5psi in them, which is the same for the Ride-rite's. Thank you for the help on this subject.

CRC

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sorry I wasn't able to answer sooner, but definitely get the pump!!!
The real question is whether to get the automatic system and tank that keeps it pressurized full-time...
I did the Schraeder valves installed in the bumper setup for manual fill on my first truck, and let me tell you it sucks!! These air bags are EXCELLENT, especially the firestone ride rite kits, but they will always leak, no matter how diligent you are with the hookups.
I did the manually actuated pump on my second truck and it was a life saver, there was no question that you need a pump in my mind after that experience...
On my current truck I will only do air bags when I can install the whole enchilada: pump, tank, and automatic valves.
Good luck!!,
Zeebra

1 - 6 of 6 Posts